PDA

View Full Version : Computer Services

Euro838
05-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone here can recommend a company that can provide the following services:

- Website hosting
- email services: most likely POP3.

I have am currently doing these services myself and would rather just pay someone to do this so i can get rid of a server. Thanks.

Euro838
05-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Looks like I'm considering Nucleus at the moment. Anyone else have better suggestions?

Grogador
05-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Google handles all my domains email now, got tired of running mailservers... ya they're evil blah blah targeted text ad at the top (which you can turn off) ... look up Google Applications for Individuals (it's free)

Webhosting... depends what you need (php? databases? frontpage extensions?)... plenty of free, maybe even from your ISP, or like $3/mo packages which are sufficient for most needs (well don't try to run beyond2 from it :)

I definitely wouldn't go with Nucleus, from what I recall years ago they were pretty lousy, and the packages look lame... go somewhere with cheap bandwidth (we get raped here as we're not a major "backbone intersection"), specific location would depend on if you care much about latency (really only important for gameservers, or if you have lots of customers in Australia or something).

Personally I can recommend www.iweb.ca out of Montreal, they have served me well for many years... or check out www.webhostingtalk.com and shop around for a good deal from someone reputable.

edit: typos, linky

adam c
05-21-2008, 11:33 AM
there's always www.gogax.com

sputnik
05-21-2008, 12:43 PM
www.dreamhost.com

dont bother going anywhere else

BigBearWest
05-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
www.dreamhost.com

dont bother going anywhere else

That is what I use

rmk
05-21-2008, 01:37 PM
^^ interesting. will be using them when my business goes online in the summer.

GoChris
05-21-2008, 06:15 PM
dreamhost oversells their servers. they put too many websites on one machine. (at least they used to)

www.webhostingpad.com/411.html

I use them, they have great reviews, and their parent company owns the data center.