PDA

View Full Version : carbeurated TT 82 supra?

sandman
08-20-2003, 11:58 PM
i was talking to this guy bout supras, the mark 4s and the 2JZ-GTE setup being amazing n all, and he tells me he can spank my car up n down,a dn one of those supras, becvause his 82 supra is supposdely "twin turbo" and has a carberatuer, its white w/ a dirty lil kit on it, is this in any way possbile???? cause i jus made fun of him the whole time, if it is haha i kinda feel stupid, but, i jus dont see what this idiot was on about??

Spenser
08-21-2003, 01:02 AM
my friends 82 is FI

CelicaST-162
08-21-2003, 01:10 AM
carburated turbo???? NO!!! turbo cars always and only use fuel injection....that guy is on drugs....and yes you can "shoe horn" the 2JZ-GTE...i have seen it done....

method
08-21-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162
carburated turbo???? NO!!! turbo cars always and only use fuel injection....that guy is on drugs....and yes you can "shoe horn" the 2JZ-GTE...i have seen it done....

no. ever heard of a blow-by carb? older regal turbos and other cars used a carb in their turbo setup.

1-Bar
08-21-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by method

no. ever heard of a blow-by carb? older regal turbos and other cars used a carb in their turbo setup.

I agree...You can have a draw-through type where the carb is in front of the turbo and a blow-through setup with the carb with it behind....Lotus made one for the Esprit as well as the older Zed cars had them.

E36M3
08-21-2003, 11:55 AM
That is silly.. turbos existed a long time before fuel injection. There are countless planes that are carbed with turbos.

Originally posted by CelicaST-162

CelicaST-162
08-21-2003, 01:10 PM
oh shit, my bad then, my buddy told me that......and sandman what kind of engine does the supra have....(code name)

sandman
08-21-2003, 01:22 PM
no clue, he said it was a stock 82 supra engine,(arent those supra celicas?) and he said he put on an aftermarket carb, and he took turbos off an 89 supra turbo he said, i jus thought he was fulla shit, i told him bring ur car out (was in garage) and he said oh i jus put on a new layer of clear coat, and then i said lets go for a quick rip later then and he wa sliek no i cant im goin to brazil for 3 months of some BS, its white, has a dirty lil kit, guy says hes a 2nd year mechanic from SAIT, jesse or something, the whoel thing seemed like bullshit to me, but he was so nice n calm bout everyhting, haha if im worng i feel like a total asshole...
bout the engine codes, well, not sure which one the 82s are, and i know its not off a 2JZ-GTE neither he said

sandman
08-21-2003, 03:59 PM
ahha confirmed, buddy is fulla shit, his friend who confirmed it for me was good enough to PM me about it, so no names given out, nvm i guess, anyone sees a kid w/ an 82 celica supra claiming 280 on stock internals, hahaha bullshit

hjr
08-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by m10-power

Don't be so sure about that...supercharging maybe but fuel injection dates back to the 1930's where turbocharging only came on after WW2 (in autos) German BF-109 fighter used fuel injection as well as methanol injection.

Also carbs and turbos are just difficult at best to setup together and are not much good for big boost.

Probably fine to make fun of him, even if what he says is true about his turbo have him show you on the road course, see if he can do 5 laps faster without blowing up. I would put money on he can't... thats besides the point. there are MANY examples of turbo charged carb. cars.

hjr
08-22-2003, 01:20 PM
there are quite a few. Im not saying that FI isnt better, as we know it is, but FI was a very expensive proposition on mass produced cars in the past, thats why it took soo long to catch on. Turbos are the same deal, but much less expensive in a mass production sence that is, which is probably why there were carb, turbo cars produced.

For example. the BF-109 had more components in its FI system than the RAF Spitfire did in its whole engine. That is a prime statment of the costs that were equated with FI in the past.

hjr
08-22-2003, 02:10 PM
no no, i specifically said "in the past". dont worry, i agree with you in terms of present technology.

brian240z
12-10-2003, 02:02 AM
:drama: Iam curently building a 240z with carb and a turbo this system actually works prety well carbs need to be sealed in a enclosure and the enclosure pressurized because the floats wont work Carrol Shelby used them in the 60s.Also look at turbo toms setup he used water injection to cool the charge. look at the vortech supercharger site to see the enclosure.Demmon sells special carbs for this.I AM HOPING FOR 400 RWHP
ur

Ashkente
12-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Anyone have any links to sites with detailed info on carb/turbo setups? I've always heard people mention these sorts of setups, but was never able to find out any solid details on the systems..