PDA

View Full Version : Interview Q&A's

Euro_Trash
05-21-2008, 09:05 PM
We all know those interview questions that we should be prepared for; pointing out your own flaws, telling the interviewer how awesome you are at fixing a hopeless situation at work, etc.
For those of you that have gone through interviews, can you give examples of some questions you have had that have been tricky, and how you answered them (or even how you would have wanted to answer them after you have had some time after the interview)?
Also, can everyone give some good examples of how to answer some of the regular questions:
- Name 3 weaknesses you have
- Name a problem you have encountered at work, and how did you resolve it
- Etc

(Yes I know there are lots of interview classes and stuff I can go to, but I think the best way to prepare for an interview is to actually experience an interview, but I figure that hearing some Q&A's from others is another good option, so any help is much appreciated!)

badatusrnames
05-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Describe your ideal boss.
Tim Horton's or Starbuck's?

Can't think of many more. Most interviews that I've been in have been more of discussion. I find that engaging the interviewer and even asking a few questions reflects well upon you as being an active thinker, interested in the job, etc.

Just remember, that on the "name your weaknesses/flaws" question, 95% of people are perfectionists, so come up with something more creative if you get that question.

FiveFreshFish
05-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Some will throw in an old-school question like "where do you see yourself in five years?"

Amysicle
05-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Name a problem you have encountered at work, and how did you resolve it.

-I think the best way to answer this is to discribe a situation at work where there was a bit of conflict with a co-worker or someone on your team, and tell them how you managed to resolve the problem without having to whine to the manager and make everyone involved happy. But this would also depend on what kind of job you were going for.

I had a question where I was supposed to describe a situation where someone asked me to do something unethical and what I did.

Crymson
05-21-2008, 09:54 PM
THere was a decent thread a while back

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/208607/common-questions-in-interview/

AquamosH
05-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Any decent interviewer will chuck the cliche questions and just have a discussion with you about your experience. Anyone can give positive answers to hypothetical questions like "In this situation, would you do this...?", and if they do ask questions like that, just give them the answer they're looking for.

Think of the process as a game: you find a way to sell yourself using creative wording on your resume, you impress the HR department and they call you in for the first/screening interview. It's their job to dissect your resume and find out exactly what you did at each experience listed. If they happen to ask closed ended, or situational "would you" questions, they're either less experienced in HR, lazy, or have a TON of applicants to screen. If that's the case, the game is in your hands and, again, go with the typical answers you know they want to hear.

schocker
05-21-2008, 11:34 PM
At the last interview i went to about a month or so ago, the one that I had forgotten and completely threw me off was "How much do you expect to get paid here?"
I didnt think I would hear that one so gave quite a dumb answer.

But my last interview was less of just questions and more of a discussion/chat where they asked about school, work expectations etc.

Destinova403
05-21-2008, 11:39 PM
well... the last interview i had... at jacobs... it was basically just a discussion about the job, how i would be suited for it, and what skills i would need. they didnt really have a Q&A session like i was used to in other interviews.

my advice would be to speak clearly and confidently... dont mumble or sound like you arent sure. and be honest... if you tell them you have some experience you dont... itll catch up with you in the long run.

as someone else mentioned... have a rough idea what you want to be paid, and what the job entails... read the job description carefully and make sure you know where your strong-points and your weak points are.

that said... im 19 so i know nothing about the real world apparently...

AquamosH
05-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by schocker
At the last interview i went to about a month or so ago, the one that I had forgotten and completely threw me off was "How much do you expect to get paid here?"
I didnt think I would hear that one so gave quite a dumb answer.

Yeah, that's one that stumps some of the people I interview. What I found is best is that you look the job up on this website: Click (http://www.alis.gov.ab.ca/wageinfo/Content/RequestAction.asp?format=html&aspAction=GetWageHomePage&Page=Home)

Then come up with a number accounting for the industry the job is in and other factors (don't just go with the average as it is affected by the aforementioned). This will also show the interviewer that you've researched the job (mention your source and how you came up with the number). After that, you could ask if it falls in their range, and if it does or it doesn't it's up to you to decide where it goes from there (e.g. telling them how flexible you are with the wage).

TimG
05-22-2008, 10:29 AM
When I get asked the salary question, I *NEVER* give a number. I always give the "I expect that the salary will be in-line with industry norms and reflect the experience and responsibilities that I will have."

topmade
05-22-2008, 10:47 AM
AquamosH hit it on the head. A good interviewer won't just sit there and ask questions, they will also look through your resume and pick out stuff here and there and ask you about it and generate different questions from the answers you give.

Be prepared, confident and answer questions directly with no BS. Just keep in mind that you already have the experience they are looking for or they wouldn't be interviewing you. They are just checking to see if you will fit in with their environment.

doublet
05-22-2008, 08:43 PM
One of the questions I ask when I conduct interviews is "Describe professional ethics and tell me a time when you were faced with a ethical decesion"

Keep in mind that this is asked to medical professionals

no_joke
05-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Watch a political debate and see how the politicians answer tough, incisive questions... Often, they get away without directly answering the question. The question is more of an introduction to a subject, which allows them to give a rehearsed response. So if you don't have a good answer to a question, try to steer your response to something that you can talk about. And when you speak, do it with confidence, believe what you say, and be enthusiastic. Be slick but not too slick :bigpimp:

Here is what has haunted me for a few years:
"Tell me about a time you weighed your options, and decided not to act."

Others:
"What characteristic would your current employer (or past) want to change about you?"
"Tell me about one of your failures."
"Tell me about a time you encouraged one of your co-workers to do a good job."

hampstor
05-23-2008, 08:46 AM
When asked for weakness, the response that I gave for my current job was:
"I tend to take on more projects then I can handle" . It's not far from the truth and sounds good :bigpimp:

A lot of interviewers are not only looking at your answers, but how you responded. Things that an interviewer will be looking for are how well you prepared for the interview, and how you are answering it (mannerisms, eye contact, your level of confidence, tone of your voice, speed which you are talking).

Couple questions that usually stump people:

"What would your current/previous employer think your strengths are"
"what would your current/previous employer think your weaknesses are"

black13
05-23-2008, 10:02 AM
here's (http://bhuvans.wordpress.com/2006/08/19/50-common-interview-qa/) a decent guide with 50 example questions

imsick
05-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Look up behavioural questions on google and start reading. That should help you out quite a bit.