PDA

View Full Version : should i worry?

beyond101
05-22-2008, 12:20 AM
i was cleaning my engine bay this morning. When i took out the air filter i noticed some oil inside the short arm tube. Is this normal for an older car? should i be worry? car still runs awesome by the way.

thanks.

BlackFyre
05-22-2008, 04:19 AM
Care to elaborate? Make, Model, Year?

Ferio_vti
05-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Sounds like you're putting too much oil on the air filter.

beyond101
05-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
Sounds like you're putting too much oil on the air filter.

i had other cars before and when i take out and clean the air filter normally its just dirt inside the metal arm but no oil. Its' a 98 prelude. what do u mean by putting to much oil in the air filter? isn't suppose to be oil free and dirt free?

thanks.

Eleanor
05-22-2008, 08:25 AM
Most air filters require you to oil them, they use the stickyness of the oil to trap particulate in, chances are whoever last replaced the air filter put a little too much oil on the filter.

beyond101
05-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Most air filters require you to oil them, they use the stickyness of the oil to trap particulate in, chances are whoever last replaced the air filter put a little too much oil on the filter.

i was the last one that replaced the air filter and i didn't put any oil at all... My worry is that my engine is fuk'ed up and puking oil everywhere but in this case it's just in arm tube that goes to the air filter. such a noob on this im not even sure if its physically possible to get oil from engine to the filter.

Kloubek
05-22-2008, 08:39 AM
The guys are talking about a filter like a K&N, which uses oiled material. If you put in a regular paper filter, then the oil is coming from somewhere else....

beyond101
05-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
The guys are talking about a filter like a K&N, which uses oiled material. If you put in a regular paper filter, then the oil is coming from somewhere else....

that's what exactly i was thinking... just wondering if any one here had the same experience, so i can get an advice on what to do. first time happened to me that there's oil in the short ram tube :confused:

Doozer
05-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Before getting too excited, I'd probably make sure it's completely cleaned out, then check again in a few days, and keep checking regularly.

If it doesn't come back, it was just a fluke, and if it does come back, you'll have a better idea of how fast it's accumulating which might give you an idea of how serious it is.

While you're at it, might be a good time to clean the whole engine bay out to see if there are any indicators from outside the air filter.

Supa Dexta
05-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Could be just your pcv valve.

beyond101
05-22-2008, 10:44 AM
thanks y'all.. i will be keeping my eye on the intake in the next couple of days just to see if there's an oil build up. PCV valve? that sounds expensive :( is it?

Ferio_vti
05-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by beyond101
thanks y'all.. i will be keeping my eye on the intake in the next couple of days just to see if there's an oil build up. PCV valve? that sounds expensive :( is it?

Not expense at all. Under $10 at Canadian tire.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pcv_valve

beyond101
05-22-2008, 11:13 AM
^ oh thank god.