PDA

View Full Version : Drywall Quality These days?

TDA
05-22-2008, 04:47 PM
I have a new construction condo, and the drywall seems soft... there seems to be numerous nicks and crappy paint jobs when going thrrough the 30 day warranty inspection... Is this normal? Builder even went through putting thumbnail prints in my wall to demonstrate how "normal" it is and how soft the walls are (to prove a point that I may have done it upon movein)..wtf..

I remember my parent's home's drywall to be rather tough and theres nearly no marks even though homes had kids bouncing off the walls. These walls, one would have to have a pretty good incident with something sharp to make a mark in them, and the paint is top notich, all smooth.

Is drywall really that crappy these days or do I have a problem? For example the drywall in my office, I can't dent with my thumbnail, my thumbnail bends out of shape instead and there's no marks.

WiltonKillz
05-22-2008, 04:55 PM
If its point of view get use to it lol theyre horrible.
Honestly alot of these condos being built are being built crappy
I notice...

vengie
05-22-2008, 04:58 PM
i work for a drywall delivery company and it all depends on what kind of drywall they use on your house. some is softer then others, however it kind of sounds like your drywall may have gotten wet prior to putting it up

rc2002
05-22-2008, 05:00 PM
There are different types and thicknesses of drywall. No decent quality stuff should dent when you put your thumb on it.

supra_11
05-22-2008, 05:02 PM
were the walls curved? contractors wet drywall so they're able to bend it and place it around curved walls etc. therefore it would be dense and you would be able to stick your thumbnail through it.

483hp
05-22-2008, 06:06 PM
The drywall either got wet before installation or you have a moisture problem

OR

You're pretty picky

mud dog
05-25-2008, 01:06 PM
The drywall these days is soft. It doesn't have time to cure properly at the manufacturers before being shipped to the job. After your house has sat for a while with the heat on, it should harden, or at least that's what I've been told by the drywall reps.