PDA

View Full Version : RENT: Mcpherson spring compressor

b18cr
05-22-2008, 10:26 PM
about to do lower a car.. does anyone know where i can get a mcpherson spring compressor? or a good spring compressor?

bobby_lu
05-22-2008, 11:09 PM
You can rent them at Auto Value or Parts Source etc. Just have to give a deposit or something.

riced
05-22-2008, 11:13 PM
I know you should use one, but it's not all that bad.
A buddy and I had an impact wrench with an air compressor and decided not to use the spring compressor, we had one though.
We had a block of wood on the bottom of the strut and he stepped on the coil. I had cardboard to protect myself and reached around it with the gun, slowly took the nut off.. and it just popped off.
Enough to make your arm kinda be pushed back, but not enough to make things go ape shit.

Just a thought if you can't find a compressor. It's not too dangerous like everyone makes it out to be.

With that said.. be safe! haha

Cooked Rice
05-22-2008, 11:35 PM
You can buy some from princess auto for $20. They work fine. If I had them with me in Calgary I would let you borrow mine.

403civic
05-22-2008, 11:50 PM
just go buy one and make sure u don't scratch it up, then return it!!:angel:

buh_buh
05-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Canadian tire rents them out for free. No need to scam.

megavolt
05-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Yes... go rent one from Partsource, AutoValue, CT... only have to leave a deposit... get it all back when you return it. Be safe and don't try it without. All depends on how compressed the spring that's in there is... some are semi-safe to do without, some ARE NOT SAFE!

b18cr
05-23-2008, 07:21 PM
loooking to get this model
this looks more safe..

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/311SZPPK87L._SL500_SL150_.jpg

rather than this model..

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/2130P5TW1QL._SL500_SL150_.jpg

b18cr
05-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by riced
A buddy and I had an impact wrench with an air compressor and decided not to use the spring compressor, we had one though.
We had a block of wood on the bottom of the strut and he stepped on the coil. I had cardboard to protect myself and reached around it with the gun, slowly took the nut off.. and it just popped off.
Enough to make your arm kinda be pushed back, but not enough to make things go ape shit.

Just a thought if you can't find a compressor. It's not too dangerous like everyone makes it out to be.

wow... i would never- EVER try that.. too crazy tho man.. id like to see someone do it that way tho.. who knows. it probably isnt that krazy..

riced
05-23-2008, 07:24 PM
yeah, it's not as crazy as you may think lol
it just pops but that's it
it's not like it's gonna shoot off and decapitate someone...
not with the experience I had at least haha

rusich
05-23-2008, 08:04 PM
yeah, it's all good until you are like, "I didn't know it could do that. lol

nismodrifter
05-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Just a note...Auto Value usually wants it back in 24hrs. CDN Tire lets you keep it for 72hrs. Very helpful incase you run out of time/encounter a seized bolt or something unusual.

03ozwhip
05-23-2008, 08:44 PM
that second one that you put up is the one type that ive used for 5 or 6 cars. use an impact and they work quick. cheap too.

Cooked Rice
05-23-2008, 11:42 PM
This model:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/2130P5TW1QL._SL500_SL150_.jpg

is safe as long as both of them are put on evenly.

b18cr
05-23-2008, 11:51 PM
does anyone know where i can get this model for rent??

CMW403
07-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by b18cr
does anyone know where i can get this model for rent??

anybody ever find out where to get one of these for rent?

also, it was mentioned above that a impact gun is needed if using the other model. can someone explain why?

ercchry
07-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by CMW403

anybody ever find out where to get one of these for rent?

also, it was mentioned above that a impact gun is needed if using the other model. can someone explain why?

not needed, just faster

psycoticclown
07-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Ooooh sick, didn't know you could rent them for free from CT. Doing my springs tonight :D

OG*crxboi
07-12-2010, 12:03 PM
I've never used a sprig compressor except for when we did my buddys for the first time when I was 16. I just put the tip in a vice with the Allen key to hold it then use my ratchet wrench to twist off the nut. The top hat will bounce into the vice and your safe!

94boosted
07-12-2010, 12:31 PM

This is bad advice. Depending on the car the spring could be under alot of compression. I've seen it done this way and the spring popped off so hard it smoked the roof (a ~20 foot roof in a shop). Carboard won't do much for you there.

Just rent or buy the tool, better to be safe than sorry.

CMW403
07-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

not needed, just faster

thanks

i just called partsource, they said there is two kinds.

Strut spring compressor and Coil spring compressor. they only have the strut spring compressor, will that work?

94boosted
07-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by CMW403

thanks

i just called partsource, they said there is two kinds.

Strut spring compressor and Coil spring compressor. they only have the strut spring compressor, will that work?

Yes

Team_Mclaren
07-12-2010, 06:28 PM
I had cardboard to protect myself

This post seem legit, take his advice
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Alak
07-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

not needed, just faster

Sometimes, depending on the design, if you dont use an impact to take the nut off, the whole shock absorber inside the strut turns. This can be difficult to make progress. Since instead of turning the nut, your turning everything.

OG*crxboi
07-12-2010, 07:28 PM
My advice is the best and more safe I lol when I read what that other dude does.

gpomp
07-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

This post seem legit, take his advice
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: CYFOI_UsVxI

dj_honda
07-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Alak

Sometimes, depending on the design, if you dont use an impact to take the nut off, the whole shock absorber inside the strut turns. This can be difficult to make progress. Since instead of turning the nut, your turning everything.

I've never seen a type that doesn't have either a spot for an allen key up top or notches on parts of the thread for a second wrench to prevent turning the whole shock.

And yeah, i always use a spring compressor. On heavier cars, the springs are under a lot more tension and could definitely fuck shit up.

Alak
07-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by dj_honda

I've never seen a type that doesn't have either a spot for an allen key up top or notches on parts of the thread for a second wrench to prevent turning the whole shock.

You are correct, thanks for the reminder. Its been many years since I've had to do a strut (Im not an automotive mechanic). I do recall one car I did that there was a provision for an allen key, but you needed a socket to take the nut off, completely nullifying the ability to use the allen key. I think thats what I was remembering when I was typing my previous example.

Since I use air tools on everything now a days, its hard to remember a time with hand tools.

psycoticclown
07-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Rented mine yesterday at CT, yea it's free :D

When I went up, the guy was like yea, its $109.99 to rent... I was like WTF, asked him why it was so much and he said it just was, took him awhile to tell me it was just the deposit.

Chantastic
07-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Just did mine recently, and I'd have to say the same as Cooked Rice. Go buy a pair from Princess Auto for 20 bucks, they are great. Don't bother renting from Canadian tire, it's a hefty deposit and on top of that when my friend rented one we had no idea how to use the thing. It was like you had to have the spring already off and the compressor mounted on the inside, which defeats the purpose. The Princess Auto/Cooked Rice ones that he posted are the best kind,. and only 20 bucks.

Most importanty, DO NOT cheap out and just use an impact gun with no spring compressor. One time when lowering, we completely forgot to compress the spring first and the entire thing at the top/the nut went flying in the air and almost took my friends eye out.

Phenix
07-13-2010, 03:26 PM
instead of renting one you could always use two straps. I did that when i did my spring on my old car. worked very easy.

Zero102
07-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Phenix
instead of renting one you could always use two straps. I did that when i did my spring on my old car. worked very easy.

It's like he is trying to compete for the title of "worst advice in this thread" :rolleyes:

Just because it worked fine for you does NOT MAKE IT REASONABLE ADVICE TO GIVE TO EVERYBODY, especially those who are new. For the OP and anybody else who is looking to do this, use the right tools, don't take advice from people who shouldn't be giving it.

In many cars the springs are not even long enough to push the hat off the end of the strut, while in other cars they can be 4" longer than the strut itself and can fling 1-2lbs of metal at speeds which will shatter bones should they strike you.

If you don't know the exact length of your springs (uncompressed) then don't chance it.

As for the comment about the allen key in the top of the strut, they make sockets which are like O2 sensor sockets and have a cut-out so you can get your allen key in there and remove the nut by hand. On every car I have ever worked on the nut is the same size as an O2 sensor so I just use my O2 sensor sockets :)

Alternatively, sometimes you need to put a rag around the strut and use a pair of vise grips to hold the strut in place, or sometimes they will have notches to grip with a wrench. Every one can be different.

HHURICANE1
07-13-2010, 04:30 PM
USE THE PROPER SPRING COMPRESSOR!!!! A few years ago I was doing my rear struts and thought I had the spring compressed enough, didn't and even with the spring mostly compressed it and the mount shot across the shop like a rocket. Lucky I was standing off to the side or it could have been a bad scene. I would never use straps, if one or both broke it could kill you.

toastgremlin
07-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Don't forget to wear eye protection, either. Shop safety really isn't one of those things that you can skip because your buddy has done an engine swap by kicking the bellhousing free while lying under a car supported by chunks of 2x4 and smoking a cigarette.

Of course, if you're fucking around with these without a spring compressor and get nailed in the head with the nut, you're probably looking at a skull fracture anyway.