PDA

View Full Version : Broken Ankle

xmattx8
05-23-2008, 04:17 PM
I (unknowingly) broke my ankle BMXing on the way to work on Wednesday, then worked on it for 5 hours and basically wanted to die that night, so went to the docs the next day. Day after that x-rays and cast. Great way to start the summer.

On to my question, has a foot injury stopped you from driving before?

I figure its going to be quite the challenge, anyone have any experience with such?

buh_buh
05-23-2008, 05:20 PM
When I tore my MCL I couldn't drive stick for a few weeks. I probably shouldve waited longer before going back since it hurt like a bitch to work the clutch, but I think if anything the movement in my knee might've helped facilitate it in healing.

ekguy
05-23-2008, 05:27 PM
hard as hell to drive with a cast. But I did drive my rx7 with it but gave alot of distance between me and other cars. Ankle injuries suck balls. I broke mine doing a 360 off a big set of steps in inline skates.

project240
05-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Very very tough to drive with a cast on. Even when I had an air cast, I would go down get in the vehicle, spend 5 minutes taking it off (not supposed to, but have to drive, right...?) go where I'm going and then spend time putting it back on when I got there. It was a real pain to do, but I couldn't drive without looking half drunk/ half retarded with it on.

1-Bar
05-23-2008, 11:34 PM
which foot?? You'll have to pretty much drive with your hip/knee instead of your ankle, do-able, but very uncomfortable....

bookem
05-24-2008, 07:37 AM
Assuming it's your right ankle... If you're unsure if your injury might impede your ability to drive, think about a situation where you would need to be hard on the brakes. If a kid jumped out in the street, would you be able to hammer the brake pedal hard enough to not hit him?

pinoyhero
05-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Tore my ACL and was pretty hard presssed to drive stick for a few months.

xmattx8
05-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
hard as hell to drive with a cast. But I did drive my rx7 with it but gave alot of distance between me and other cars. Ankle injuries suck balls. I broke mine doing a 360 off a big set of steps in inline skates.

Yeah all I did was a 180 on flat ground and it was wet out so a slipped and fell... and I guess I landed shitty.

But yeah its the right ankle so I guess I'll just take some time and and find someone to taxi me around a bit. :clap:

01RedDX
05-26-2008, 01:58 PM

JRSC00LUDE
05-26-2008, 02:03 PM
If you drive an automatic it should be a piece of cake! I drove stick all the way to Saskatoon from Panorama with a broken right arm and a hip fracture once!

a social dsease
05-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Broke my right ankle 2 years ago. Cast for 10 weeks = no driving for 10 weeks.
Car is stick btw, but I dont think I even could have driven an auto.

Shitty deal though dude, I hope you have someone who can drive you around. Just take it easy, better to sit on the couch for 6-10 weeks then to giver and fuck it up and end up spending way longer on the sidelines.