PDA

View Full Version : Confused about what to do

realazy
05-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Ok, so I have a little dilemma here that I'm really confused about and would like to ask for some advice.

The back story is that I'm in the engineering internship program at the U of C but still havent gotten placed and I've been trying since January. After numerous changes to my coverletter and applying to more jobs, I'm in a situation where I don't know what I should do.

I applied to every single position that was available to me, and out of all the positions I applied to I actually had and interview and got an offer. Sounds great right? BUT... the offer is for an Austrailian power plant that's at a town of 8000 people and I would have to move there for 12 months. The pay isn't spectacular and I have car payments and cell phone contract that would have to be paid here if I choose to leave.

I have applied to many other positions in Calgary and field positions in Fort Mac and others but still haven't had any interviews.

So here are my questions:

Would Australian experience at a power plant be beneficial in Calgary? (I want to work in oil and gas)

If I choose not to go and tough it out with stupid jobs in the summer and return to forth year and graduate, how would I do in finding a job after I graduate? (with next to no engineering experience, only office boy type jobs)

Lastly, does anyone work at a oil and gas company that wants to hire interns for september 2008? (preferably NOW?) any advice or referrals?

SHOULD I GO?

Basically, I want to stay in Alberta because my gf is here as well as all my friends and family. But if the experience would actually benefit me to get a better job here when I graduate then I would consider it.

littledan
05-23-2008, 04:23 PM
you should go man. australia is awesome weather and o&g companies like to see that you are willing to relocate. would def help you in the future.

schocker
05-23-2008, 04:30 PM
It would be good experience, but if you dont want to go with your finances here and such just graduate and get a job with your degree. You can always get experience once you are just starting out also.

anarchy
05-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by littledan
you should go man. australia is awesome weather and o&g companies like to see that you are willing to relocate. would def help you in the future.

:werd: And ANY experience is better than no experience man.

I'm not an engineer but I had to do my internship in the small town of Quesnel, BC. I was reluctant and almost turned it down but went out there anyways and ended up having a great experience.

If you don't live on your own already, it'll be a good opportunity to become independent and get some valuable experience. Like littledan said, showing you are willing to relocate definitely looks good on your resume.

Your other option is to hold out and hope for a local opportunity, but that's a big risk. If you're confident you can get a job here then wait but you'll be kicking yourself if you don't end up with anything. It is brutally hard to get a job without any experience after you graduate. I've seen it firsthand with many of my friends.

realazy
05-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by schocker
It would be good experience, but if you dont want to go with your finances here and such just graduate and get a job with your degree. You can always get experience once you are just starting out also.

So what would be the route I could take if I just graduate? Would companies hire "summer students" for field positions that already graduated? Because I think that would be a good point to start.

I really regret that I was stupid and didn't do that for the years before but it's too late to do anything about it now.

Or would it be better to look for any jr. engineer positions and start from there.

I've just been hearing that it's really hard to change industries once I get into something.

I've been trying to stall the Aussie company and I should have another week or so before I really have to choose. I really hope I get an interview here with another company before then.

tabouli
05-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Don't go to Australia. Vacation only.

Taking up an "Engineering" position at a power plant as a working foreigner is a terrible idea. You will not gain any relevant experience, nor will you make any money. The living and housing expenses will drain you dry if you don't already have useful contacts there.
Speaking as someone who works at an international engineering firm in Calgary, no one here will care about what you did unless they are building related power plants. No one in oil/gas will even consider that as relevant experience though.

I suggest starting in construction consulting to gain valuable field experience. You get to see how important structures are built from the ground up in the city, and then take what you know to more remote locations in the oil and gas sector. You might be stuck drilling piles, testing concrete, inspecting forms or pre casts, or doing mundane lab testing on soils & materials ... but everyone has to start somewhere.

With a degree, you'll find that you get to FLY through certain tasks and move on much more quickly. People with 2 year diplomas will probably be stuck rolling plastic limits for their entire lives :rofl: Trust me, we've got plenty in our lab!

Take an entry level field consulting position for the summer.
Then finish your schooling and move on.

schocker
05-23-2008, 04:46 PM
I would graduate and try to get hired as a junior engineer. Engineers I know have sometimes been hired in different fields and have moved around to fields they were not trained in. With the number of companies I am sure you can find something with a degree coming out of university. The australia job might be good on the resume, but if it doesent relate that well to places you apply after you graduate, it might not be that beneficial.

realazy
05-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Well, the position includes an apartment to live in but I would still have to worry about living expenses.

You really brought up the point I was asking as I'm really worried about how does it even apply to here. I'm in mechanical btw.

If I graduate and find some entry level consulting jobs like you said for a year. I would still be in the same spot with time as I would graduate in 2010 if I go to Australia and graduate 2009 if I don't.

schocker
05-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Well it is general experience. But if you are applying for a job as a mech engg then they might look at that and just pass it over as it is experience in engineering and working in the field, but not related to what you would be working as here. But if you have costs here that you would have to pay aswell while you are working there, than that might lean your decision to staying here and finishing fourth year.

tabouli
05-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Most of us did the foot soldier work before we finished school.

Either way, finishing school is what's important.
Finding the direction you want to take is next.

A great friend of mine came to work at my firm when he was fresh out of University, with 0 experience. We signed him for $60k a year doing project management on small scale developments until he gets better and more comfortable. The structural engineers who come to us with lots of field work are able to pick and choose their working conditions and involvement.

Don't piss away a summer on "stupid jobs". You can do alot of things that may not seem important now, but provide valuable steps to walk on when you've graduated. Earning the ability to say "Been there, done that" is great ammo when negotiating your first position with a degree.

realazy
05-23-2008, 05:08 PM
I totally understand the summer jobs thing, but the whole internship deal really messed up my whole plan. Most companies are done hiring for summer back in November and I missed all those and went for internship.

I'm really having a hard time finding summer jobs now and I totally agree with you on the "foot soldier" work.

Any suggestions of places that might be hiring summer jobs still? I'm wiling to take anything engineering related really. And I'm willing to relocate.

schocker
05-23-2008, 05:14 PM
Maybe just send some resumes out to different engineering or o&g companies as they might need people for field work somewhere in the province or even office work still. Or even see if you know anyone who works for a company you might be interested in working for, see if they could bring in a resume to HR.

tabouli
05-23-2008, 05:29 PM
^^ Definitely!
Send out some as per his advice, as I have minimal oil and gas contacts. The positions I'll be referring to you will almost exclusively be in construction and environmental. They won't fit the niche you're looking for 100%.

May be tough to find a 3 month working term....

I will call around in the next hour before everyone leaves the office. Then I'll send you something in your PM inbox tonight. You should know I'm to remain completely anonymous, and all of the legwork will be left up to you. But I'm interested in helping you get started.

SilverGS
05-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Its good that you are considering how this may affect getting a job in O&G in Calgary later. However, if your options are

1. Go to Australia and risk it not really applying here
2. Just graduate and look for a Jr job in a year and do whatever summer job you want now.

IMO i would go to Australia. Yeah it may not be relevant to a job here but you on the flip side it could be quite the experience. How far is this place from any major cities? If not that far then you can always go there for fun. Also gives you the ability to go all over Australia when you get a chance.

Either way even if companies don't really count it as good experience toward a job here you are in the same position in applying for Jr positions. I think a year experience in Australia is still better than 0 experience and you may get a great life experience from it too.

realazy
05-23-2008, 05:50 PM
It's about a 2.5-3 hour drive from Brisbane, not close, but not TOO far either.

My other choice actually would be to just wait it out here during the summer and see if I can get a placement for September 2008. And if that doesn't work THEN go back to school.

Well, I have to head out for the night, thanks to all you guys for being quite helpful and giving some insight and suggestions.

Thanks to tabouli for helping me look for positions. Really appreciate it!

kaput
05-23-2008, 07:58 PM

r0g3r
05-23-2008, 11:17 PM
just out of curiosity, was this because you applied for these internship positions late or is it because you don't have any experience in the field? because I have also applied for alot of summer job positions but nobody seems to want me because of my lack of experience...

samo147
05-23-2008, 11:33 PM
I'd say take it. If your having this much trouble finding an internship (temporary position) then imagine how hard it will be when your looking for full time work.

I actually did an internship for a electrical utility and am now working in the O&G field. So the experience u gain during internship WILL NOT limit you on where you want to take your career.

I did my internship in a small town (7000 people) as well and am glad i did. It really opened a lot of doors for me.

Experience is the most valuable thing. When your applying for full time work you will be competing against people a lot more people than for these internship positions. It will be hard to stand out without any experience.

But if u decide moving would be too draining financially and emotionally then keep looking. You still have till the end of august to land something.

Let us know how it goes..

realazy
05-24-2008, 01:47 AM
r0g3r:
If you're looking for summer positions, I highly suggest applying to the large oil and gas firms early ( around September ). That one of the mistakes I made. Almost everyone I know that applied then have gotten field positions as field operators.

By no means did I apply late, I jumped right on the ball right when they were posted. However, I did realize my cover letter did suck terribly and I fixed that as I went along. I find people with oil and gas experience got hired first along with high GPA students (like 3.5+). I have a 3.1 so it's not like I have terrible grades, I have friends considerably below that GPA that have jobs but they have experience. Also, this year the internships were much fewer than the previous year.

samo147:
I think after thinking about tonight and asking some friends, I'm leaning towards taking the offer. I too have friends that worked with ultilities for internship and are in oil and gas now too. I'm just a little worried that the companies here would know nothing about the Australian company. But thank you to all of you for helping out.

schoolboy
05-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Lazy,

Pack your bags and leave on a jet plane. You don't know how many people would love to be in your situation.

Do not scoff at working at a Utility, they're also in the energy business and they make big bucks too.

I know it's hard to step outside of your comfort zone, but you will be a changed man when you return.

Besides, Canada is quite similar in many respects to Oz (resource based economy, language) except for the poisonous animals of course. ;)

Report back in a year.

GLHF

ExtraSlow
05-24-2008, 10:12 AM
If you are really hard up for a job, try out the EPCM companies in Calgary. Colt, Tundra, XXL, Flour, Tundra , etc.

Those companies are always short staffed, probably because they pay slightly less than the producing companies, and the work is a little monotonous. But, for starting out your career, they are a good spot.
If you have any friends at large O&G companies, and those friends think you are pretty special, you can talk to them. Companies the size of EnCana, Shell, Petro-Can and Exxon have at a few Engineering jobs vacant at any one time.

Or apply to PennWest or TAQA. I know for a fact those two companies are hiring Engineers within the month.

But hey, if it was me, I'd think pretty hard abut this Australia job. I've never heard anyone say that they wished they traveled less. And no matter what you think, any experience is transferable.

Go get-em tiger!

jmc
05-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Since it's only for 1 year, so go for it. You'll get some oversea experience; never know, you might enjoy it.

realazy
05-24-2008, 01:56 PM
I think the consensus is for me to go for it, the pay isn't actually horrible, only like 10% less than what my friends are making here with the exchange rate included. I think I'm gonna go for it!

r0g3r
05-24-2008, 04:59 PM
you have a 3.1 GPA and you've applied pretty much all the jobs you can, but you still have a hard time getting interviews. I mean, what hopes do others have, with GPAs of below 3 and no experience in the field?

during the summer of my first year and even now, Ive tried to apply for summer jobs at the career fairs on campus. I mean if companies are hiring for experience, how does one aquire experience in the first place? any hints would be greatly appreciated.

boredengineer
05-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by r0g3r
you have a 3.1 GPA and you've applied pretty much all the jobs you can, but you still have a hard time getting interviews. I mean, what hopes do others have, with GPAs of below 3 and no experience in the field?

during the summer of my first year and even now, Ive tried to apply for summer jobs at the career fairs on campus. I mean if companies are hiring for experience, how does one aquire experience in the first place? any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Know someone in the industry... Depends on your degree as well, some degrees have issues getting placed others they practically throw jobs at you. Summer jobs are pretty damn hard to nail unless you know someone in the company you are targeting. Hiring someone for a 4 month stint doesn't usually make much sense.

PS: What is your concentration?

r0g3r
05-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by boredengineer

Know someone in the industry... Depends on your degree as well, some degrees have issues getting placed others they practically throw jobs at you. Summer jobs are pretty damn hard to nail unless you know someone in the company you are targeting. Hiring someone for a 4 month stint doesn't usually make much sense.

PS: What is your concentration?

i will be starting 3rd year this coming fall, but I plan to become a structural minor with my civil degree.

I have no connections with anybody in this industry, and am having alot of trouble finding any placements, im worried i'll be in the same position for my internship placement as well.

realazy
05-25-2008, 12:46 AM
I've also seen that civil's have a harder time landing summer jobs. I find the easiest summer jobs to get are the ones in the oil fields, but I don't think you'd be interested in that. To get office summer jobs in an engg firm usually takes some connections which I lack as well so I hope after internship it'll be better.

no_joke
05-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by r0g3r

i will be starting 3rd year this coming fall, but I plan to become a structural minor with my civil degree.

I have no connections with anybody in this industry, and am having alot of trouble finding any placements, im worried i'll be in the same position for my internship placement as well.

If you're unemployed for the summer, try cold calling engineering companies straight out of the Yellow Pages. Just introduce yourself to the receptionist and ask to speak with HR. Tell them you're a student looking for a summer position. I've heard of a few people doing that. One guy at our company did that and it ultimately landed him a full time job as a Jr Engineer. Chances are you'll end up with a grunt job like working in a lab or surveying but experience is experience.

r0g3r
05-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by no_joke

If you're unemployed for the summer, try cold calling engineering companies straight out of the Yellow Pages. Just introduce yourself to the receptionist and ask to speak with HR. Tell them you're a student looking for a summer position. I've heard of a few people doing that. One guy at our company did that and it ultimately landed him a full time job as a Jr Engineer. Chances are you'll end up with a grunt job like working in a lab or surveying but experience is experience.

thanks for the input, maybe i'll give that a shot and it will pay off someday like that jr.engineer you were talking about haha.