PDA

View Full Version : Need Help from G35 Owners!

avishal26
05-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi guys, my mom is planning on buying an Infiniti G35 coupe (auto.. she can't drive manual).. used not brand new. She can't afford anymore than $31,000 right now. (Before anyones suggests it.. she doesn't think the 350z is comfortable enough for her and for some reason she doesn't like audi's or bmws... :dunno: ). So she's pretty set on a G35.

Now we have seen a couple of g35s. One I saw in particular was a 2005 with 32000 kms and going for $30,000. There are a few more in the market right now at about the same price and kms. HOWEVER, there's also one she is looking at with considerably more kms (around 80,000) but going for about 9 grand less. SO what I wanna know from you guys is whether or not it is worth it to save that much money and getting a car with more than twice the amount of kms. The car looks to be in good shape. Are there a lot of issues with these cars past the 80,000 or 100,000 km mark?

I know it always depends on the car but what would I be looking at in the near future assuming it is in decent shape?

Thanks a lot guys, I'll appreciate any input whatsoever.

I am pretty confident about infiniti's reliability but I just wanna get opinions from owners.
:clap:

avishal26
05-23-2008, 10:00 PM
no one?... :dunno:

05-23-2008, 10:05 PM
if it was maintained properly, who cares how many km's it has :dunno:

mlafreni
05-23-2008, 10:08 PM
my dad has an 05 G35, but probably no more than 40k kms on it.. so not much help.. other than he has had zero issues thus far. not sure if that helps... and he drives like a geezer and never bags the crap out or it...
if youre getting used anyways, might as well try and save the most you can... :dunno:

avishal26
05-23-2008, 10:09 PM
what if it was driven a little hard? The owner is a dude.. lol not a woman like the other cars. (not trying to be sexist)

I have heard tho that the 3.5 L is a very reliable engine.. I'm more worried about shocks or electronics going bad within a couple of years of me getting the car.

phreezee
05-23-2008, 10:17 PM
There are no problems with the VQ35DE in an auto. The only thing you should probably do is the shocks, brakes, fluid flushes and it should be fine. They seem to ride a bit harsh in old age.

Electronic wise, just run an OBDII scan on it and check for error codes.

My experience comes as a 350Z owner but I've driven numerous G35s.

SinisterProbeGt
06-04-2008, 01:05 PM
2005 and 2006 VQ35 (rev-Up) engines have oil consumption issues and problems with the Filler tube for the gas tank. These issues are dealer related but make sure that all warranty work has been complete.

The oil consumption issues can mean a motor replacement after time so be careful. I would look for an 03/04 or 2006.5 and higher
Stay away from the 05's
Hit up g35driver.com for more info on the 05 rev up problems

5hift
06-04-2008, 01:21 PM
As already mentioned, it is more important how the car was maintained than the difference in kms. Ask for all his service reports, and as SinsterProbe already said, make sure you do research on common problems. If the guy is on top of his maintence he should be fully aware of needed warrentee work and any common problems.

Another think to factor is as phreezee already said you likely will be paying back that 9 K in savings by having to do needed maintennce as the car approaches 100 K, as usually around that mark, a lot of shit has to be done. I would go for the one with the lesser kms just for the reason that 80 kms seems a lot for a 05, and you more likely will not have to do anyhting besides oil changes for a while.

Doozer
06-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Here's a way of checking if there have been any manufacturer recalls on the car:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/recalls/search_e.asp

Jayson
06-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Why don't you get it inspected by a licensed mechanic?