PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

pinoyhero
05-24-2008, 07:36 AM
Anyone on the board into this phenomenon?

I've been at for it for a while now after realizing that hitting heavy weights and downing copious amount of supplements may not be so great for the long term health and quite frankly not something I needed to sustain into my 30s.

Was prepped for being in decent shape but losing that distingushing, "he goes to the gym look", but have actually gotten stronger/lighter and have way more energy.

Maybe give it a shot but realize that you have to give this program a month at least before making a decision ...

www.crossfit.com

G-Suede
05-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero

Was prepped for being in decent shape but losing that distingushing, "he goes to the gym look",
url]www.crossfit.com[/url]

Why would you want that?

pinoyhero
05-24-2008, 10:37 AM
I didn't want to loose the look but thought I may due to the change in work out ... turns out I didn't need to be, I'm actually getting into better shape.

pinoyhero
05-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Yesterday's WOD 28:00 as rx'd

RT16V
05-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Have been doing some of this periodically for a year or so. Just started a little more regular 2 months a go.

Have you checked out Crossfit Calgary?

pinoyhero
05-25-2008, 11:41 AM
^ I've checked the site but never gone down for a session/seminar. I would like to though at some point if not nothing else, some advice on where to get some gear to bring with me to my gym. Need rings for MUs, a decent soft med ball for thrusters etc. and a set of kettles.

Have you been or know of a place in town to get gear?

mikestang
05-25-2008, 12:03 PM
its just different type of heatlh and fitness....

crossfit turns you into an all around athlete with no specialties... it trains you to increase your full workload capacity all the time, and burn more fat (hiit)

so you wont be as strong as a lifter, but you'll beable to keep up with a lot of the mediocre ones (aslong as you really train hard)

you wont beable to go as long as a long distance runner, but you'll beable to out run most people who aren't

you won't beable to punch as hard as a boxer, but you'll still have a nasty bite

its a fun workout that really tests your balls I do crossfit or tabata every once in awhile to change things up and see what I'm made of for bursts

pinoyhero
05-25-2008, 04:16 PM
^ Agreed, I love a workout that just puts you to rest when you're done.

94boosted
05-25-2008, 10:47 PM
My Personal Trainer swears by it, i tried it once and my shirt was literally dripping of sweat :D . I still prefer my regular good old fashioned weight training.

pinoyhero
05-28-2008, 06:10 PM
WOD

135 - 145 - 155 - 160 - 165 (dont think I could have gotten 170)

Finished with max reps HSPU of 20

JWL
05-29-2008, 10:49 AM
I just got into it with my trainer and OMG do they ever kill!!!! He made me do these crossfit squats part of a superset and by the end of the session I was a gimp. It is definitely a different way to workout and tone compared to the "old fashion" way (lifting heavy/adding bulk). As to which one is better? Both have their pros and cons, it's just a matter of what you're looking for.

hammock
06-04-2008, 11:55 AM
I used to go to Crossfit Calgary (previously known as OPT) for training last year.. these guys are great. They got me on a crossfit routine for a few months, and I was never in better shape..

Then I got married and moved down South (Crossfit Calgary is way up North past Royal Oak, near Bearspaw). Looking to start up crossfit again after i try the P90X routine for the next few months.

Big thumbs up for crossfit, and props to the guys up at crossfit calgary. This is something that I feel will overall improve your quality of life, if you can dig in and stick to it.

CCM Pro
06-17-2008, 10:05 AM
I am a personal trainer and myself along with the other 2 trainers at our small private gym have been doing a form of this for a while now...it is pretty amazing and gets results but of course is dependent on many factors such as client's goals, injuries etc...

I, myself, do it consistently and it sure does help if you are an athlete (I play hockey).

I usually do it for a few months then switch to a hypertrophy phase for 8 weeks and back again to keep the body guessing.

RT16V
06-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by hammock
I used to go to Crossfit Calgary (previously known as OPT) for training last year.. these guys are great. They got me on a crossfit routine for a few months, and I was never in better shape..

Then I got married and moved down South (Crossfit Calgary is way up North past Royal Oak, near Bearspaw). Looking to start up crossfit again after i try the P90X routine for the next few months.

Big thumbs up for crossfit, and props to the guys up at crossfit calgary. This is something that I feel will overall improve your quality of life, if you can dig in and stick to it.

Crossfit Calgary is not the same as Optimum Performance Training (OPT). They do operate some of the classes out of the OPT facility in Bearspaw though.

Great program though!!!

RT16V
06-22-2008, 12:11 PM
^ I've checked the site but never gone down for a session/seminar. I would like to though at some point if not nothing else, some advice on where to get some gear to bring with me to my gym. Need rings for MUs, a decent soft med ball for thrusters etc. and a set of kettles.

Have you been or know of a place in town to get gear?

Sorry I missed this post earlier.

Did you find the gear you were looking for yet?

Blaine

pinoyhero
06-25-2008, 05:19 AM
Not really, seems like ordering online may be the way to go but I'd rather se and feel before buying ...

XtraX
06-25-2008, 09:27 AM
I've been doing random WOD mixed in with my regular work outs. Crossfit has definately added a new challenge. The only down fall is I find it hard to do alot of the olympic lifts in a my gym.

People look at you funny sometimes too.

kutt3r
06-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Not really, seems like ordering online may be the way to go but I'd rather se and feel before buying ...

Kettles you can get from a number of sources in Calgary... I got mine at Fitness Depot, just because they were the first place I had seen them about 6 months ago, everyone seems to have them now.

Rings, have not found a place yet...., probably just order from one of the listed places, Rogue rings seem nice and people are happy with them based on the reviews.

I made my own medicine balls, but they are not the soft Dynomex ones that Crossfitters use....might have to order or look for a distributer.

If you are ever in the market for bumper plates, Fit Systems in Calgary has them listed on their website, the first place I have seen that has them, but I just started looking so there could be others.

Not the best info, but I hope it helps a little... On a side note, has anyone tried the CrossFit courses that are offered at the YMCA's in Calgary? I am in Okotoks so I would be looking at the Shawnesy Y, but not sure if the classes would be as good there.

RT16V
06-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by kutt3r

Kettles you can get from a number of sources in Calgary... I got mine at Fitness Depot, just because they were the first place I had seen them about 6 months ago, everyone seems to have them now.

Rings, have not found a place yet...., probably just order from one of the listed places, Rogue rings seem nice and people are happy with them based on the reviews.

I made my own medicine balls, but they are not the soft Dynomex ones that Crossfitters use....might have to order or look for a distributer.

If you are ever in the market for bumper plates, Fit Systems in Calgary has them listed on their website, the first place I have seen that has them, but I just started looking so there could be others.

Not the best info, but I hope it helps a little... On a side note, has anyone tried the CrossFit courses that are offered at the YMCA's in Calgary? I am in Okotoks so I would be looking at the Shawnesy Y, but not sure if the classes would be as good there.

I haven't tried the YMCA classes myself, but I would if I lived down your way. The guys running the Calgary affiliate are top notch, so I wouldn't expect less at any of their locations.

Thanks for the info on the bumper plates, I will have to check them out. As for the dynamax med balls, "Go Mango Fitness" is listed as a distributor on Dynamax's website. I haven't called them yet, but I will. There are lots of kettle bells available in Calgary for sure.

Blaine

kutt3r
06-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by RT16V

I haven't tried the YMCA classes myself, but I would if I lived down your way. The guys running the Calgary affiliate are top notch, so I wouldn't expect less at any of their locations.

Thanks for the info on the bumper plates, I will have to check them out. As for the dynamax med balls, "Go Mango Fitness" is listed as a distributor on Dynamax's website. I haven't called them yet, but I will. There are lots of kettle bells available in Calgary for sure.

Blaine

Price on the bumper plates if anyone cares(that I was quoted):

10lbs - $75.90 or $7.59/lb
25lbs - $82.80 or $3.30/lb
35lbs - $103.50 or $2.96/lb
45lbs - $136.62 or $3.04/lb

A full set will run you $797.64 + taxes + shipping........compared with the $0.50 - $0.85/lb of steel plates......

pinoyhero
06-27-2008, 04:56 PM
^ Yikes, pricey, esp after shipping stuff that heavy. Thanks for the info.

On another topic i was on vaca for 3 weeks and came back to todays WOD, I was totally useless, couldn't even get through it.

RT16V
06-27-2008, 09:05 PM
^ Yikes, pricey, esp after shipping stuff that heavy. Thanks for the info.

On another topic i was on vaca for 3 weeks and came back to todays WOD, I was totally useless, couldn't even get through it.

Yep, a bit pricey. But I think that was a local quote, so I would imagine no shipping.

**edit** just saw that shipping was quoted extra. If that's the case, there are better deals for sure.

pinoyhero
07-01-2008, 10:19 AM
So back on topic a bit, is anyone on this board crossfitting?

bigbadboss101
07-02-2008, 10:32 PM
I am reading a bit about it. I work out of town so I am normally in Calgary Friday 7:30pm to Monday 6am.

pinoyhero
07-05-2008, 03:25 PM
^Yeah that type of sch would make the program tough as it calls for a specific work out each day so might be tough.

kutt3r
07-11-2008, 01:28 PM

Yep, a bit pricey. But I think that was a local quote, so I would imagine no shipping.

**edit** just saw that shipping was quoted extra. If that's the case, there are better deals for sure.

They just get worse... Fitness Depot can bring them in at almost double the cost for the the low end York practice bumpers. For fun ask for a price quote on a set of Ivanko's or Eleiko's....

If you time shipping when they have a large order then it is like $20-50, but on its own it is more, he would not tell me how much more, so I am guessing I don't want to know...

If anyone finds them cheaper I would love to know...no one I have seen in Calgary stocks them.

kutt3r
07-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
I am reading a bit about it. I work out of town so I am normally in Calgary Friday 7:30pm to Monday 6am.

Make a list of the work outs from the previous week, you will be a week behind but never miss out on one...

lint
07-11-2008, 02:05 PM

They just get worse... Fitness Depot can bring them in at almost double the cost for the the low end York practice bumpers. For fun ask for a price quote on a set of Ivanko's or Eleiko's....

If you time shipping when they have a large order then it is like $20-50, but on its own it is more, he would not tell me how much more, so I am guessing I don't want to know...

If anyone finds them cheaper I would love to know...no one I have seen in Calgary stocks them.

I found this site http://store.wfwclub.com/. The owner, Glenn Pendlay, seems to have a very good reputation.
They have some pretty good prices and some free shipping deals within the US with UPS.
for example, here's a crossfit package (bar plus 2x20kg, 2x15kg and 2x10kg plates) for $529USD shipped in the US.
http://store.wfwclub.com/crweset.html

Seems worth it to ship to UPS Sweetgrass and drive down to pick it up.

kutt3r
07-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by lint

I found this site http://store.wfwclub.com/. The owner, Glenn Pendlay, seems to have a very good reputation.
They have some pretty good prices and some free shipping deals within the US with UPS.
for example, here's a crossfit package (bar plus 2x20kg, 2x15kg and 2x10kg plates) for $529USD shipped in the US.

Wow nice find... that is like $.53 a pd...
I just happen to have a friend with a PO Box just accross the border....

Thanks!

RT16V
07-12-2008, 03:40 PM

I just ordered a bar from Glenn. The quote for shipping the crossfit package was just a few bucks over $100 - which makes the entire package a pretty decent deal.

I will order some bumpers later this summer.

lint
07-12-2008, 10:35 PM

I just ordered a bar from Glenn. The quote for shipping the crossfit package was just a few bucks over $100 - which makes the entire package a pretty decent deal.

I will order some bumpers later this summer.

When I asked for a quote to ship to Calgary it was an additional $89, but they ship UPS ground, which means watch out for the brokerage when it gets here. I think shipping it to MT is probably a safer way to go.

RT16V
07-13-2008, 08:59 PM

When I asked for a quote to ship to Calgary it was an additional $89, but they ship UPS ground, which means watch out for the brokerage when it gets here. I think shipping it to MT is probably a safer way to go.

I disagree.

But it depends what a day of your time is worth to you.

pinoyhero
08-07-2008, 06:13 AM
^It does, but winters almost here the basement work outs would rule so you dont have to pack up and drive to the gym some days.

kutt3r
08-07-2008, 09:05 AM
I would be curious if someone does get these shipped up and see what the brokerage fee is, I have seen prices double with the silly fees and it might make it worth it to drive down.

I am still working on the basement, not ready to order quite yet, soon I hope, especially for the winter :thumbsup:

pinoyhero
08-07-2008, 08:35 PM
^Sounds good, back on topic .. is no one on here doing this work out ... I absolutely love it and have trained with various methods for over 10 years ... this takes the cake.

kutt3r
08-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Have been picking and choosing exercices, but not following it.
Joined up with the gym and they have a crossfit group starting up in Sept that I am going to try out.

pinoyhero
08-08-2008, 06:43 PM
^Give it a shot and try sticking with the total program for a few months, whole point is not to just pick and chose but to do everything, even that which you hate ... it will only make you stronger.

urban.one
11-04-2008, 11:01 AM
pinoy, are you continuing to do the WOD? anyone else?

pinoyhero
11-07-2008, 09:29 PM
^Yup, been sticking to them for a while now ... still loving it and seeing progress

RT16V
11-12-2008, 09:25 PM
'Grace' today (30 reps clean & jerk)

5:35 - but only 95 lbs (135 is rx'd)

pinoyhero
11-12-2008, 09:33 PM
^ Today was a rest day on crossfit.com ... you working off of another site?

Dope time though ... almost time to step it up to the 135 ... great time

RT16V
11-12-2008, 09:39 PM
^ Today was a rest day on crossfit.com ... you working off of another site?

Dope time though ... almost time to step it up to the 135 ... great time

Yeah, my regular WODs are coming from the crossfitcalgary.ca page.

Went with the ladies Rx'd weight to compare with my little sister - she still beat me by over 10 seconds!!!

pinoyhero
11-12-2008, 09:41 PM
^ Sweet, I used crossfit.com, a bunch of guys at my gym do as well. I'll post tomorrow.

RT16V
11-12-2008, 09:52 PM
^ Sweet, I used crossfit.com, a bunch of guys at my gym do as well. I'll post tomorrow.

Sweet, please do!

I train once a week with the CFcalgary crew, so it's nice to compare with all the guys and gals over there on a weekly and daily basis. Before that I was working off the main site.

pinoyhero
11-13-2008, 07:11 AM
Yikes ... Jason today. I've got rings but the hanging bar isn't that great. Never done this WOD but looks like a longer one for sure.

RT16V
11-13-2008, 10:12 AM
^ Where do you normally work out?

kutt3r
11-13-2008, 10:29 AM
^shit sorry just re-read my post didn't mean to be a bragging, "how much can you press" douche, other rounds were 15/25, 11/25, 10/18, 10/20 - so yeah I kinda blew my load on round one haha

Moving this over here...seeing as it was a little off topic.

LOL I never read it as bragging at all.

Great numbers man!

pinoyhero
11-13-2008, 08:21 PM
^ Where do you normally work out?

Westside ... I was one of the three dudes screwing around on rings getting stared at today around 5:30 ahaha

RT16V
11-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Nothing like the kind of stares that Crossfit will bring in a mainstream gym.

How did "Jason" go?

lint
11-13-2008, 08:37 PM
they have a crossfit group at Westside, or you just doing the wod there on your own?

pinoyhero
11-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Nothing like the kind of stares that Crossfit will bring in a mainstream gym.

How did "Jason" go?

23:07, MU's are tough, can't do more than 2 in a row, sqauts felt like breaks for sure.

pinoyhero
11-13-2008, 09:28 PM
they have a crossfit group at Westside, or you just doing the wod there on your own?

I jusr do on my own but there are enough guys there doing unique stuff that you end up finding out who's a CFitter pretty quick. About 5 guys I run into pretty damn regularly.

RT16V
11-14-2008, 10:36 AM

23:07, MU's are tough, can't do more than 2 in a row, sqauts felt like breaks for sure.

Nice work! It's a big step to get a single MU - and then stringing more than one together. You'll be hitting sets of 5 in no time.

pinoyhero
11-14-2008, 01:52 PM

Nice work! It's a big step to get a single MU - and then stringing more than one together. You'll be hitting sets of 5 in no time.

Hehe, I hope so. Biggest issue/excuse is that I dont have a really high hanging point for my rings, its only about 9 ft up (the chin up bar on a standard rack) so i can't really kip fully with my legs into the MU. Super cool exercise though, delts are screaming today. So much harder than it looks.

pinoyhero
11-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Five rounds for time of:
95 pound Hang Power Snatch, 15 reps
Run 400 meters

25:40 - not great at the snatch, most were cleans to the forehead and then a half shoulder press

RT16V
11-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Five rounds for time of:
95 pound Hang Power Snatch, 15 reps
Run 400 meters

25:40 - not great at the snatch, most were cleans to the forehead and then a half shoulder press

Awesome!

The snatch is the most difficult of all the OLY lifts - and, 95 lbs is quite a bit with that much total work.

pinoyhero
11-15-2008, 06:56 AM

Awesome!

The snatch is the most difficult of all the OLY lifts - and, 95 lbs is quite a bit with that much total work.

Yeah it is tough, just can't seem to really get the motion down. What WODs have you been rockin lately?

pinoyhero
11-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Saturday 081115
Back Squat 5-5-5-5-5 reps

Nothing real impressive, but did get pretty damn deep on most reps 205, 225, 245x3

civic_rida
11-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Sounds pretty cool. Are you noticing any body changes since you started this program?

pinoyhero
11-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida
Sounds pretty cool. Are you noticing any body changes since you started this program?

A ton, but I also paired it with a real good diet. Got rid of a lot of bad weight and didn't dump that much strength. BUt big time change in body comp for sure.

CCM Pro
11-15-2008, 04:32 PM
That's great to see so many people finally getting into cross fit or a variation thereof...I am a fitness trainer at a small private training studio and we have been doing cross fit-like stuff for a few years now. Its a blast to do at our gym and we even have a number of local radio personality that joins us...you will often hear them talking about it on CJ 92 morning show.

Keep up the great work everyone!:thumbsup:

liquid1010
11-15-2008, 06:06 PM
I've been lifting for about 3 years now with mixed results. Getting bigger, but athletic performance is deteriorating.... so I'm thinking of a move towards cross-fit.

What's a good site outlining the various workouts?

pinoyhero
11-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by CCM Pro
That's great to see so many people finally getting into cross fit or a variation thereof...I am a fitness trainer at a small private training studio and we have been doing cross fit-like stuff for a few years now. Its a blast to do at our gym and we even have a number of local radio personality that joins us...you will often hear them talking about it on CJ 92 morning show.

Keep up the great work everyone!:thumbsup:

Where's the studio, if close to me I'd love a switch ...

pinoyhero
11-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by liquid1010
I've been lifting for about 3 years now with mixed results. Getting bigger, but athletic performance is deteriorating.... so I'm thinking of a move towards cross-fit.

What's a good site outlining the various workouts?

Hit crossfit.com for all the goods, here's the summary link ...

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html

RT16V
11-15-2008, 07:16 PM

Yeah it is tough, just can't seem to really get the motion down. What WODs have you been rockin lately?

This past week aside from 'Grace':

150 Double Unders for time - 3:54

50 Handstand pushups for time - 31:27. This was challenging as I was down to single reps after 15.

5 rounds for time
15 Pull ups
20 Box Jumps (20")
25 Thrusters (65 lb)
28:30

The last 'lady' WODs before 'Grace' were 'Fran' in Oct & 'Cindy' in September. 'Fran' - as Rx's 8:15 (first sub 10) & 'Cindy' 13 rounds + 13 squats.

pinoyhero
11-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Impressive, I absolutely hate jumping rope, like I can't do doubles worth carp. I end up doing tucks. Also don't have a 20" box, use some junk14" Wish I have some better gear.

RT16V
11-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Impressive, I absolutely hate jumping rope, like I can't do doubles worth carp. I end up doing tucks. Also don't have a 20" box, use some junk14" Wish I have some better gear.

Could you stack a few plates on top or under?

I may build a new batch of boxes for my garage gym - but they are pretty large to tote around with you to the gym. I used to use a step ladder (had like 4 risers on it) the top one was 20".....

pinoyhero
11-16-2008, 08:07 AM
^thought about that but not really, might ask my gym if I can just build one and leave it there for the gym to use ... also just grabbed my 20lb med ball and 1 pood kettle, not sure that I want to have to walk those in from the p-lot either.

pinoyhero
11-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Only half on topic but found a gem at Costco for Paleo-ish dieters ... like myself ... Larabars sooo good given how good they are for you.

RT16V
11-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Only half on topic but found a gem at Costco for Paleo-ish dieters ... like myself ... Larabars sooo good given how good they are for you.

They are a total gem! Great find.

We started making them at home too since the ingredients are so basic. Some dried fruit, nuts & figs in the food processor and you can make a whole tray for the same price as 3 or 4 single bars.

Back on topic:

Today's WOD
1000 m Row
100 Sit Ups
100 Squats
100 Pushups
18:58

pinoyhero
11-16-2008, 01:15 PM
^Dope time, loving that WOD, have never done ... closest was with 100 chins rather than 1000 row. I love rowing, impressive time for sure. Love the cardio + muscle fatigue WODs. Rest day for me.

CCM Pro
11-16-2008, 08:58 PM

Where's the studio, if close to me I'd love a switch ...

Its just off of Edmonton Trail and 37th Ave NE...we are cross-fit freaks here:whipped:

PM me if you want to know more about us and the rates etc...

pinoyhero
11-16-2008, 09:12 PM

Its just off of Edmonton Trail and 37th Ave NE...we are cross-fit freaks here:whipped:

PM me if you want to know more about us and the rates etc...

Ahh, I'd love to but a bit out of my way ... wish we had something more CFit freidnly in the west end.

max_boost
11-16-2008, 09:27 PM

PM me if you want to know more about us and the rates etc... that's wicked. if my schedule permitted i would totally give this a shot. been wanting to try it out and always better in group settings!

CCM Pro
11-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Maybe we can group a couple of my guys and get a few beyonders and do a couple times a week here for a good price

pinoyhero
11-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Monday 081117
"Helen"

Three rounds for time:
Run 400 meters
1 1/2 pood Kettlebell X 21 swings (or 55 pound dumbbell swing)
12 Pull-ups

Post time to comments.

10:14 Went all out for sure, didn't have much left in the tank but can break 10 for sure. Run was about 425 (our stupid gym's track is not 400!) and pull were kipping.

RT16V
11-17-2008, 08:07 PM
^ Great work! Sub 10 Helen will be really killing it.

Last time I rocked Helen was middle of August - 13:45. She rocked me that time LOL

kutt3r
11-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Maybe we can group a couple of my guys and get a few beyonders and do a couple times a week here for a good price

I would be interested....

max_boost
11-18-2008, 12:28 PM
i would totally be up for it except my schedule is all over the place. only have free time sat/sun mornings 10am-1pm and weeknights mon/tues/thurs after 9pm. i doubt that would work lol but let me know if anything serious develops. it's hard to work out by yourself but in a group setting, it's a lot easier :D

pinoyhero
11-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Tuesday 081118
Push jerk 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps

Post loads to comments.

175 - 190 - 205 (f) - 190 - 195 -195 - X

Just couldn't get into this one, motion feels dangerous but did give it a good shot.

RT16V
11-18-2008, 09:31 PM
30 Muscle-ups for time:

15:19

First muscle up WOD for me - next time Sub 10..

pinoyhero
11-18-2008, 09:36 PM
^Yes .. MU's absilutely rule, have full working your delts tomorrrow ....

cornelius85
11-18-2008, 11:45 PM
What were people's times for "Helen" on Monday? Mine was 11:11. Seemed pretty good. Would have to be really good to be sub 10 minutes. Haven't really tried muscle ups. Will have to try them one of these days

kutt3r
11-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Tuesday 081118
Push jerk 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps

Post loads to comments.

175 - 190 - 205 (f) - 190 - 195 -195 - X

Just couldn't get into this one, motion feels dangerous but did give it a good shot.

If you dont mind me asking Pino how much do you weigh?

I know my shoulders are weak, but your numbers are huge.
I press more than jerk, but those are still some large numbers...

mac_82
11-20-2008, 01:35 PM
I have just been getting into Crossfit over the last couple of weeks. How many Crossfit workouts per week are you guys doing?

RT16V
11-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
I have just been getting into Crossfit over the last couple of weeks. How many Crossfit workouts per week are you guys doing?

The prescribed cycle is 3 days on, one off. But I can tell you from experience, that when you first start off (and hit the workouts hard) you'll need to work up to that. I started with one a week for about a month, then two, then three etc.

pinoyhero
11-20-2008, 10:52 PM

If you dont mind me asking Pino how much do you weigh?

I know my shoulders are weak, but your numbers are huge.
I press more than jerk, but those are still some large numbers...

I'm 5'8 160, but I do PJ slightly more than I can Press

civic_rida
11-21-2008, 12:21 AM
For some reason i thought you where in the 180s

I've noticed tons of people at my gym doing the cross fit style of working out.

pinoyhero
11-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida
For some reason i thought you where in the 180s

I've noticed tons of people at my gym doing the cross fit style of working out.

In early 2007 I hit 195 taking everything legal .. weight gainer, regular powder, tons of solid food, NOX, mad bars ... like you name it. I lifted with Max-OT and made some serious gains in strength and size fast ... then I tore my ACL playing vball.

Bit of a wake up call, realized that I wouldnt be 195 forever and that it wasn't my natural weight, that and all the "stuff" couldn't be healthy and sustainable ...

So I tried diff stuff for a while and rehabed the knee and found Cfit early this year. Tried it for 3 weeks but found it too odd and found myself loosing size and I didn't like that. Read some more after returning to more traditional training and decided to give it one more shot.

Since about May I've been Cfitting only and eating Paleo ... I dropped tons of weight and lost some strength (but my deadlift went way up) but my cardio is 50X better and I feel 100X better. That and I save a whack not having to buy sups anymore.

So that's my story, sorry for the long post ...

pinoyhero
11-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Back on topic ...

Friday 081121
Run 5 K

Post time to comments.

22:47

Missed a day this week, was travelling, bad excuse I know.

pinoyhero
11-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Saturday 081122
Clean and Jerk 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps

Post loads to comments.

First time with this one, to protect knee I went with a Clean and Push Jerk 135-155-165-175-185-185-Q

Last was a monster, was enough for me for the day.

civic_rida
11-22-2008, 03:34 PM
thats awesome man. Congrats.

lint
11-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Saturday 081122
Clean and Jerk 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps

Post loads to comments.

First time with this one, to protect knee I went with a Clean and Push Jerk 135-155-165-175-185-185-Q

Last was a monster, was enough for me for the day.

Do they have bumper plates at westwide rec for doing jerks and snatches?

pinoyhero
11-22-2008, 06:21 PM
^They have some light ones, but i dont drop there. Kinda blows can't really get full effort but I get pretty damn close

Hoagie
11-23-2008, 04:18 AM
Were you guys already at your peak level and just trying to sustain your fitness.

pinoyhero
11-23-2008, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Hoagie
Were you guys already at your peak level and just trying to sustain your fitness.

Not sure what exactly you mean bro, but i'm pretty sure the answer is no. i am not a peak, not am I happy with my current level. I am consistently looking to make gains, which have com relatvely fast with CFit.

pinoyhero
11-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Sunday 081123
Three rounds for time of:
21 Knees to elbows
1 1/2 pood Kettlebell swing, 21 reps (subbed a 55lb DB)
21 Push-ups
15 foot Rope climb, 3 ascents (21 towel pull ups sllight jumping 1/2 way into second round)
20 inch Box jump, 21 reps
21 Back extension
Walking lunge, 150 ft

Post time to comments.

33:43. didn't feel 100%, I think my weekend suck because of my pre-WOD diet vs. the regular week. Gonna look into this one a bit and see waht I can find. Today's was an apple, 1.5 tbsp of peanut butter and a handful of almods washed down with 1/2 litre of water. No protein maybe the issue ...

RT16V
11-23-2008, 01:01 PM
^ I am assuming this is an earlier am workout? Some people can push harder on an emptier stomach. Others not. When was your last protien intake the night before?

"Angie"
100 pullups
100 push-ups
100 situps
100 squats

24:59

My arms are seriously baked from the MU's still - not to mention the skin tears on my wrists!

Lots of technical snatch work this morning with 45 lb.

pinoyhero
11-23-2008, 08:50 PM
I love angie ... your worst event? Mine's sits if you can believe it, takes me the longest. I can imagine though that if you just had an MU WOD you'd be toast on pulls. I've also got scabs on my wrists from MUs.

Yeah I think Im' better on a fuller stomach. Last protien was at 7 the night before, I hit the gym at 8AM, so quite a while. But when I have my weekday WODs its at 5:30ish after eating a decent balanced meal at about 2:30. Not sure if its time or food, but really leaning towards food after doing some reading.

RT16V
11-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Pull-ups are pretty good, but I did have to resort to the old gymnastics kip instead of butterfly. The pain started to hit midway through push-ups. They are usually my worst event - even worse this time.

I can't get up early enough to get food in before my 9am Sunday WOD - so I always eat at 9-10 the night before. That's what works best for me.

The MU scabs are bad ass!