PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question

enzo_veyron
05-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Noob here, I bought a truck. 1992 4WD 'deluxe' pick up.
I'm a noob. Never had a toyota truck, nor a 4WD truck.

I want to swap out all the fluids - but I'm getting confused about what I'm supposed to use. What is ADD and how can I tell if I have it? How can I identify which transmission I have? What kind of oil do I use on the 'propeller' shafts?

High miles - 230k. It was rebuilt at 170. Would it be a bad or a good idea to use synthetic or synthetic blend oil?

Any help would be appreciated. I got online to order fluids and I'm just lost. Also, where can i buy parts for this truck over the internet?

Graham_A_M
05-24-2008, 05:52 PM
AmsOil is the best you can use, abiet at a price,
Talk to an AmsOil rep and they'll be able to suggest just which oil to use where on your truck.
Mobil 1 makes fantastic oils at a much more reasonable cost, as AmsOil is quite expensive.

If your "THAT" clueless; you may want to take it to Midas/Blaskin & Lane (or whoever) and let them do it.:thumbsup:
Good luck:)

Supa Dexta
05-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Use any oil you like, just be sure to change it at a good interval. I don't buy into all the hype and extra money fancy designer oils claim. Especially when many of them all meet the same tests. That said I have mobil one in my daily driver, only because it was on sale. But I wouldn't shy away from castrol, quaker, shell, motomaster, or even walmart synthetic... Whatever is on sale is fine for me...:dunno:

ianmcc
05-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Do you want to keep it for a long time or is it a to-be-upgraded-when-I-can-afford-better ride?
For a high-miler, stick to cheap dino sauces; the age of the vehicle warrants nothing more expensive. A classic or expensive car, or a race machine looking for the last iota of performance will benefit from the higher costs of full synth but not your truck. Like Supa says, the cheap stuff still meets the same minimum standards.

ZMan2k2
05-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Swapping out all fluids would include the front and rear differentials, and the transfer case. When you do that, use 75w90 gear oil, and you'll get the best results. Normally on those trucks, the front and rear diffs will use between a liter and a liter-and-a-half of oil. Best way to know you've got it full is to stick your finger in the fill hole, and see if the oil is up to the fill hole, if not, keep putting more in until you get there. Same goes for the transfer case, except you'll be closer to two liters for it. If you have the manual, all the better as it will give you the amounts you need to fill each part.

As for the propeller shafts, you don't oil them, you grease them. These are on the driveshaft, and require lubing with a grease gun.

JRSC00LUDE
05-27-2008, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by enzo_veyron
What is ADD and how can I tell if I have it?

Attention Deficit Dis.....anyone like cookies? Haha there's a cat with a fuzzy tail!

silviafreek89
05-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Attention Deficit Dis.....anyone like cookies? Haha there's a cat with a fuzzy tail!

:rofl:

Supa Dexta
05-29-2008, 05:50 PM
When filling diff's it best to fill until it starts to pour back out the hole, then let it sit for a few mins and see if it will take anymore. Sometimes with thicker fluid it backs up and "pretends" to be full, but after settling a minute, it will take more..

...Like your mother... HEY-0!