PDA

View Full Version : distribution block help

Renagades
05-25-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm currently installying a system and im having problems with my distribution block. It's a stinger 1 4awg in and 2 8awg out and it has a volt/amp digital readout. It's supposed to be fused but as of now i have yet to find a fuse that fits, visions was totaly baffled when i showed them it, so i bridged it using 8 awg wire. It works fine for the distributing purpose but when i ground it using the given ground the readout comes to life but also i high pitched whine that does not let up. Any suggestions?

rc2002
05-26-2008, 09:14 AM
If you ever have a short circuit condition, you won't have any protection. At a connection point like that, you definitely want some type of protection. I'd buy a new distribution block if I were you. They're pretty cheap.

97'Scort
05-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Stinger makes fuses for all their gear. Is it a round, glass fuse or a blade fuse?

The high pitched whine, does it only happen when the engine is on?

Renagades
05-26-2008, 06:15 PM
i understand the short circuit protection this was just temporary until i found fuses. I think it is blade as there is no place to put a round fuse but it is VERY tight and im not sure a butterfly fuse would fit either. The whine happens whenever the system is engaged. As for a new block i have one but it does not have the digital display which i know is a convenience but its nice to have. I also paid around $30 for is so its not that cheap.

97'Scort
05-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Renagades
i understand the short circuit protection this was just temporary until i found fuses. I think it is blade as there is no place to put a round fuse but it is VERY tight and im not sure a butterfly fuse would fit either. The whine happens whenever the system is engaged. As for a new block i have one but it does not have the digital display which i know is a convenience but its nice to have. I also paid around $30 for is so its not that cheap.

$30 is actually pretty cheap when you get into some of the other stuff :) But I understand where you're coming from.

If the whine happens whether the engine is on or off, then you've got a big problem somewhere. Wiring, grounds, battery, cap, or the components themselves. This is something that will have to be traced, probably by removing individual bits to see if it's the source of the noise.

I can't find the block you've bought on their website, what's the model number? There are two types of blade, the big ANL fuses (150A+) and the smaller MIDI blade fuses.

Renagades
05-27-2008, 12:07 AM
true but still.

i think ill just replace it with my other one because i went and got fuses for it today

it might actually be the MIDI fuse come to think about it and its not worth all that extra work for a little blue light.