PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Video Card for Blue Ray?

vannilajoe
05-25-2008, 11:38 PM
I am putting together a computer for the entertainment area of my house.

With no games intended for the computer, assuming I go with a new motherboard and chip set with HDMI out on the board, dolby DTS sound card, BluRay/hd-dvd player and ample DDR2 RAM....

What is the minimum level video card that would be needed to safely run playing BluRay on my HDTV?

Do I need to go big?

Any advice would be helpful?

Thanks ahead of time.

GTS Jeff
05-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Hmm, if you can't spell Vanilla, you'll probably find this exercise beyond your scope. But if you wanna give it shot, take a look at my second last post in this thread where I got it all figured out.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/215309/how-to-enable-hardware-decoding-of-hd-content/

GL.

vannilajoe
05-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the information. It really helped.

GTS Jeff
05-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by vannilajoe
Thanks for the information. It really helped. Just be sure to ignore everything before my second last post, as there is a lot of guessing, misinformation, and old information that applies only to old video cards in that thread...

vannilajoe
05-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Okay I will. The posts won't really come into play unless I go with a similar computer as yours. I am thinking of going a few steps higher than your examples.

You just gave me peace of mind with your solutions.

Thanks again.

GTS Jeff
05-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by vannilajoe
Okay I will. The posts won't really come into play unless I go with a similar computer as yours. I am thinking of going a few steps higher than your examples.

You just gave me peace of mind with your solutions.

Thanks again. What exactly are you planning here? No matter what you do, hardware decoded HD will still be superior to anything else...

dragonone
05-26-2008, 06:07 PM
i'm just surprised there's no software that comes with ati-based cards (or alike) that promotes HD decoding, esp. when it's a selling feature of the series

i mean u had to dig through forums to get it to work, it should be a few clicks in the ati control panel:whipped: