PDA

View Full Version : Hope its not a concussion

403Gemini
05-26-2008, 11:17 AM
This morning was coming down the stair to let my dog out and I was still a bit sleepy so I take the 2nd step from the top and my heel hit the edge of it, well needless to say my foot slipped out and my tailbone/spine landed flat on the steps and I slid the whole way down. Thats not the worst part, the back of my neck and back of my head hit the top step which is hardwood floor. I remember blacking out for about half a second and woke up just as I was finishing slidding down to the bottem of the stairs. I took out my railing with me so thats completly ripped from the wall. I've had a dizzy feeling since and I threw up about 15 min after it happened.

Needless to say I stayed home from work today.

Now in all the years of playing hockey, football, baseball, soccer, BMXing , etc I've never been knocked out or had a concussion... was wondering what are some of the symptoms? I have a doctors appointment at 3:45 today (my mom is picking me up for it, so dont worry, im not driving ;) )

My head seems to be doing better , its only throbbing in pain from a headache, my neck and shoulders are so stiff i can barely turn my head though.

Hell of a fucking way to start the week...

01RedDX
05-26-2008, 11:20 AM

GQBalla
05-26-2008, 11:21 AM
sounds like a concussion especially if you puked right after.

i would go see a doctor to make sure your okay

403Gemini
05-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
A better question is what are you doing on beyond? Go see a doctor, you've got the classic symptoms of a concussion - dizziness and nausea.

Originally posted by 403Gemini

I have a doctors appointment at 3:45 today (

:dunno:

It's the soonest he could get me in, and I'm not going to the walk in clinic since every time i went in there with another problem they told me it was just "Stress related" but it turned out being a whole hell of a lot more...

ralliart_girl
05-26-2008, 11:30 AM
...sounds like you have a classic case of minor whiplash too.

Dude, sucky deal. Hope you feel better soon.

Sharpie
05-26-2008, 11:46 AM

:dunno:

It's the soonest he could get me in, and I'm not going to the walk in clinic since every time i went in there with another problem they told me it was just "Stress related" but it turned out being a whole hell of a lot more...
Personally I would rather go to a walk in clinic than my family doctor. From what I have seen they will be able to do alot more than your doctor if it is something serious.

JRSC00LUDE
05-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by ralliart_girl
...sounds like you have a classic case of minor whiplash too.

Hey 403gemini, sounds like your stairs had the power to give you something the Cobalt SS/SC never could! :poosie:

(hope it's not too bad though man, good luck with that)

Kloubek
05-26-2008, 12:14 PM
I'd agree with whiplash, or a form of it. I mean, that's some pretty nasty force to your body.

I would not be as quick to assume concussion though. I blacked out from hitting my tailbone (twice actually), and felt all sick and woozy. But then, that's your body's reaction to what it sees as severe trauma. If you injured your neck, it's entirely possible you would have a headache anyway.

Good luck at the doctors - hopefully you're ok...

403Gemini
05-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Hey 403gemini, sounds like your stairs had the power to give you something the Cobalt SS/SC never could! :poosie:

(hope it's not too bad though man, good luck with that)

Jackass ;) thanks for your concern!

DTTB_36
05-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Just try not to do anything. I have had a concussion before and you are supposed to move as little as possible. For at least a few days, then light activities can be done. Walking is even supposed to be kept to a minimum. You should be good in two weeks or so. Headaches are common with a concussion even though I didnt have any. There are also an indicator that your head is still bruised if there continues to be headaches.

403Gemini
05-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Minor whiplash, 2 advil a couple times a day, LOTS of ice and if im not better in a week i have to goto physio... fun haha

HybridTheory
05-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Holy shit dude, no wonder why you're not at work.

Take it easy buddy. Hope you feel better soon

xrayvsn
05-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Minor whiplash, 2 advil a couple times a day, LOTS of ice and if im not better in a week i have to goto physio... fun haha

Did he tell you the warning signs of more ominous injury? ie. repeated vomiting, morning headaches, visual changes etc that should prompt you to seek additional medical attention?

403Gemini
05-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn

Did he tell you the warning signs of more ominous injury? ie. repeated vomiting, morning headaches, visual changes etc that should prompt you to seek additional medical attention?

That goes without saying , yes he did ;) I havent thrown up since this morning and I think that was just the initial impact/me not being totally awake. Was quite the system shock and a helluva way to wake up....

Today was a great movie day, did nothing but lay about and watch movies (Harold and Kumar, Cloverfield, War, and Diary of the Dead)

Gooseberry
05-27-2008, 03:12 AM
Off topic, how was diary of the dead? I heard it was horrible.

Kloubek
05-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Just whiplash - who called that?

Oh wait... it was me. :)

Glad to hear it isn't anything more serious - get well soon!

JRSC00LUDE
05-27-2008, 09:55 AM
^

Oh wait... it was ralliart_girl first. :)

01RedDX
05-27-2008, 10:52 AM

ralliart_girl
05-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
^

Oh wait... it was ralliart_girl first. :)

Originally posted by 01RedDX
^ LOL

Nice try Kloubek ;)

LOL...stupid work! Can't keep up with threads on beyond anymore! LOL hehe..thanks guys :D

Edit: Glad to hear it is nothing serious...hopefully you should be good to go in a couple of weeks. Best thing to do is those stupid exercises that the physio gives you...it really does help.:D

snowboard
05-27-2008, 12:46 PM
dont you just love the black out feeling, no power in your arms or legs, cant sit up, all you hear is buzzing and your eyes get color from the center spreading back out to the edges hahahaha...

ercchry
05-27-2008, 12:53 PM
your posts make way too much sense for someone with a concussion, when i have had them in the past i had a hard time even talking let alone typing

Kloubek
05-27-2008, 01:30 PM
I maintain it was me damnit.

ralliart_girl said it sounded like whiplash TOO. Implying that the whiplash was in addition to something else. That something else was talk of a concussion.

Come on guys - give me some credit. Make me feel like I'm providing worthwhile and original information to my fellow Calgarians. I must find purpose in my life...

FilthyMcNasty
05-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Sounds like symptoms of AIDS.

GTS Jeff
05-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I maintain it was me damnit.

ralliart_girl said it sounded like whiplash TOO. Implying that the whiplash was in addition to something else. That something else was talk of a concussion.

Come on guys - give me some credit. Make me feel like I'm providing worthwhile and original information to my fellow Calgarians. I must find purpose in my life... Maybe try putting "Dr." in front of your online usernames...