PDA

View Full Version : A real RX-8

Initial-D-Nerd
08-21-2003, 10:03 PM
Just wondering what you ppl think about a small block V8 in a 87 RX-7 GXL. If anyone has ever considered (sp) doing this or have stumbled across sites with anything to do with a V8 swap in a 2nd Gen RX-7 please share some problems i might run into, or websites with helpful information on the swap, preferably a Ford 302 (5L) or a chevy 350. Thanks.

Simon

YCB
08-21-2003, 10:09 PM
some guy at my school had a rx7, blew the engine and i heard he put a suburban engine in there!?!? :dunno:

Initial-D-Nerd
08-21-2003, 10:17 PM
welll... i dont just want any sluggy old V8 in there, i want an Aluminum high flowing head, Fuel injected all the stuff V8, 350whp minimum.

edit: iron or aluminum block, so if its a 302 it will be iron, if its a 350 it would either be a LS1 or an LT1 which both come with a style of vortech heads. (good flowing heads)

Nix87
08-21-2003, 10:20 PM
The LS1 is a kick ass motor. I got it in my boat :D

Nick

Zephyr
08-21-2003, 10:53 PM
i thought the reason of the RX-7 was for the rotary...now putting pistons in it...doesnt that just kinda change the car's purpose

Initial-D-Nerd
08-21-2003, 11:01 PM
Rotisseries are really expensive to have rebuilt, the only Rotissery i would get would be a 3 rotar. then again, expensive and rare.

Nix87
08-21-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Initial-D-Nerd
Rotisseries are really expensive to have rebuilt, the only Rotissery i would get would be a 3 rotar. then again, expensive and rare.
RX-7's make a badass batch of chicken.
:rofl: :rofl:
Nick

thich
08-21-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
i thought the reason of the RX-7 was for the rotary...now putting pistons in it...doesnt that just kinda change the car's purpose

well it does change the car.. not so sure about the purpose.
there was an FC that had a small block in it at the autoX's last year when I went and it was pretty dang fast.

I'm not sure how much weight it adds to the car, but i don't imagine it's too much to affect it greatly.

people do things to make their cars more interesting. granted it's a different feel from the rotary, but some people like the fact that it's more reliable -- although it guzzles more gas.

i remember coming across an FC on the net that had an SR20 in it... just depends on what floats ur boat i guess

three.eighteen.
08-22-2003, 04:24 PM
if i had an rx-7 i would TRY to keep it rotary, but on another note, sp engineering in the states have a FD w/ 2JZ in it...

bol
08-22-2003, 05:26 PM
It's a pretty common swap actually. There are even kits for it..

http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/

Maxt
08-22-2003, 08:41 PM
welll... i dont just want any sluggy old V8 in there, i want an Aluminum high flowing head, Fuel injected all the stuff V8, 350whp minimum.

edit: iron or aluminum block, so if its a 302 it will be iron, if its a 350 it would either be a LS1 or an LT1 which both come with a style of vortech heads. (good flowing heads)

Why bother, a bone stock 13bt with a t04e will make power than any of those combinations, and still give you 33 mpg on the highway..

[i]zephyr added[/]i thought the reason of the RX-7 was for the rotary...now putting pistons in it...doesnt that just kinda change the car's purpose

Yeah, if you wanna 350 go buy a camaro..

Is that a maytag or kenmore rotissirie?
Yes 3 rotors are expensive, but rotary's are actually quite reasonable to rebuild, if you shop at the right places..
You have no cams, valve train, studs, lightwieght forged rods, forged pistons, intake manifolds. valves jobs, deck cutting , crank grinding timing chains, etc etc to buy, you have about 16 o-rings, 6 apex seals, springs, side seals,corner seals, and some work with a diegrinder, or about 700.00 worth to make a 13bt into a strong street motor, if you reuse rotors and housings, the housings can be had for about 500.00 each, and 2 rotors can be had for about 500.00 if you need them, the stock mazda stuff will take over 400 rwhp of abuse, or you can buy a j-spec for about 1500.00 with tranny, and just put 15 psi of boost to it..
But then again, I biased...maxt

Initial-D-Nerd
08-22-2003, 11:00 PM
well, i think im gonna just try a Ford 5.0 HO EFI out of a mustang. and i'll probly have to try a rotary some day, but i think this would be a cool project for now if its done right.

Maxt
08-23-2003, 07:09 AM
Don't be suprised if a stock TII blows you off with that combination..Maxt

Initial-D-Nerd
08-23-2003, 11:55 AM
haha, its not going to be a stock 5.0, i work at Alamo Industries and i get pretty good deals on T04's with big shaft kits. but thats all im gonna say for now.

Maxt
08-23-2003, 04:51 PM
haha, its not going to be a stock 5.0, i work at Alamo Industries and i get pretty good deals on T04's with big shaft kits. but thats all im gonna say for now.

Is my Schwitzer s300 ready yet???? Mr.Wells was getting me a 1.0 rear housing for it....Maxt

Maxt
08-23-2003, 05:00 PM
I can't wait to hear that thing spool...

finboy
08-23-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
I can't wait to hear that thing spool...

i will never get tired of seeing that :D

Murph
08-23-2003, 06:00 PM
From what I have seen, and heard a first Gen with a stock Ford 302 HO will run mid 13's with simple bolts on's your 12's. I dont know of many stock cars that can hang with that. As for that in a 2nd gen i dont know. I would say do that to a first gen you dont even need to change the front crossmemeber just pull it out and do a 180 with it and it fit. (FREAKY). Also for SoloII i belive they run in E-Mod and have been faired rather well there.

rogue
08-25-2003, 10:58 PM
there is two 2nd gen rx-7 with american muscle powering them in the city one of them was at a shop called holeshot (not sure if they are around anymore) it is by walt healy motorcycle shop just off mcknight blvd.

finboy
08-26-2003, 05:42 PM
my buddy has a goldish silver one with the twin hood scoops.

Wookey
08-28-2003, 11:33 PM
try this website. www.thewrongmotor.com some guy has a 2000 LS1 corvette motor in his RX7.... pretty freakin nice!

Loose
08-28-2003, 11:46 PM
I have seen an RX-7 with a 5.0 that was slower than mine (stockish T2).

I have also seen the red ZZ4 RX-7 that kicks the crap out of every wankle at Solo at Race City.

Either set up is potent, if done right.

I really like the 13B, but it's kind of sad when you can count about 20 blown up motors between you and your friends.

Eric Happy Meal
08-28-2003, 11:52 PM
the V8 will weigh a ton more than the rotary will, which means youll need more power out of it to compensate for it. and with that V8 your handling is going to suffer.

Maxt
08-29-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Loose
I have seen an RX-7 with a 5.0 that was slower than mine (stockish T2).

I have also seen the red ZZ4 RX-7 that kicks the crap out of every wankle at Solo at Race City.

Either set up is potent, if done right.

I really like the 13B, but it's kind of sad when you can count about 20 blown up motors between you and your friends.
For the money that guy though put into that car to get the v-8 swap to work, he could have probably had a faster rotary powered car in the end, the rx-7's he goes up against don't have the money dumped into the suspension and brakes that he does...
I talked to him once, about his car, in the end he spent way more money than if he would have stayed with the rotary, thats the thing, yes on paper a 350 chev is cheaper than a 13b, but after you buy a a built 350 chev, fuck around with the mounts, drivetrain swap, driveshaft, suspension, you end up spending way more than if you just did the car right with a rotary..My car has more rwhp than his does.. :poosie:
Loose, I could probably give you a higher body count of dead 350 chevs over the years than 13b's... Maybe you should rephrase that statement to say you have some friends that shouldn't be tuning rotaries..:)....
I lost a motor last year, the motor design wasn't the problem, it was the rebuild job that was done it that was the problem, don't confuse the two....Max

Ekliptix
08-29-2003, 07:20 AM
check this out!

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/rtmfabricating/waste_037.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/rtmfabricating/waste_038.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/rtmfabricating/waste_039.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/rtmfabricating/waste_036.jpg

rx7_turbo2
08-29-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
I lost a motor last year, the motor design wasn't the problem, it was the rebuild job that was done it that was the problem, don't confuse the two....Max

Hahaha

Ya hard for the rotor to seal properly when it's missing corner seals, side seals, and the groove milled for those stupid 3mm seals is as straight as the guy serving pizza's in the basement at SAIT. It's hard to believe that motor ever ran given what it looked like on the inside.

Maxt
08-29-2003, 07:42 PM
The s-shaped apex seal grooves were killer...

Loose, this is what you should do to your car...