PDA

View Full Version : Rust Proofing Car

90TurboLude
05-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Hi all,

Im buying a Corolla and I'm thinking of getting it rust proofed. The Dealership wants $995 to do a "protection package" for 3m hood protection, rustproofing, Scotch guard etc.

Does anyone know of a good place where I can get this done for less than $995?
Can anyone who's done this before report how well it works?

Thanks everyone,
-90turbolude

Bimmer88
05-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Sorry dude, but personally I think when they say "rust proofing..." its complete BS!

Cause first of all no matter what you do to a car... it'll rust, there is only preventative measures to prevent rust... You can do all that for a fraction of the cost. That's my opinion but... try Car Salon for rust proofing. Of course you don't your car tinted there ;)

Toms-SC
05-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Do it yourself. Takes about 2 hours and you can rent a host.

mark4091
05-26-2008, 10:51 PM
do any work you need to by yourself, but remember it's always going to rust

rice_balls
05-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Dealership = ripoff
Just do it yourself

nbaker00
05-27-2008, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by 90TurboLude
Hi all,

Im buying a Corolla and I'm thinking of getting it rust proofed. The Dealership wants $995 to do a "protection package" for 3m hood protection, rustproofing, Scotch guard etc.

Does anyone know of a good place where I can get this done for less than $995?
Can anyone who's done this before report how well it works?

Thanks everyone,
-90turbolude

Hey,

PM me the exact add ons you were getting in the pro-pack.
I'm sure we can beat there prices.. We are a dealership, but yes we have lots of mark-up in the aftermarket add-ons.

Thanks,

NB

HondaRice
05-27-2008, 11:48 AM
rust proofing is basically a scam.

Honda's will always rust, not sure about the newer ones but honda metal is much more thinner , lower quality then other companies. even american cars have better then hondas (i am a honda fan)

many honda owners are cheap people (no offence to anyone) and do not wash their undercarriages well or at all. adding this neglect and the nitorious honda metal rust problem this is way hondas are notorious for rusting

Toyota was like that in the 80s but by the early 90s notice the cars are not as bad in terms of rust. look at the 80's toyota when it was 10 years old and look at a 90's when it was 10 years old.

I have owned a few honda accords. May have a nice body but under neath is just unsafe. I mean the front tire axel was so bad it sounded like it would fall off everytime you hit a bump.

bobby_lu
05-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Get your rust-proofing somewhere else like Ziebart. I dont think you really need it that much in Alberta, but my sisters car out east that was 10 years old was rust free...Im sure the rust proofing was of some help.

redblack
05-27-2008, 12:11 PM
cut out the middle-man (dealerships) and go right to the source
Ziebart is a good place

Eleanor
05-27-2008, 01:09 PM
New Corrola? Don't get it, not worth it.

Redlyne_mr2
05-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Crown is the best stuff out there

inline6turbo
05-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by HondaRice

many honda owners are cheap people (no offence to anyone) and do not wash their undercarriages well or at all. adding this neglect and the nitorious honda metal rust problem this is way hondas are notorious for rusting

Water speeds up the oxidation process, just so you know. If your city doesn't use salt on the road the best way to prevent rust is to never wash it. But who does that...

The only true way to prevent from rust, or should I say, inhibit rust from forming, is to do a couple things, only wash your car on days where is really warm out and the car can dry completely, touch up paint all rock chips as soon as possible, never park on grass, like in a back alley dirt spot, park in a garage as often as possible, the best being a garage thats heated to 18degrees and where the cement floor is sealed, and just don't drive in the winter. Undercoating is a pretty effective way to inhibit rust, but it's terrible when you want to work under your car and its covered in black crap.

:dunno:

Provincial
05-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Crown is the best stuff out there
Yeah, Krown is widely recognized as being the best because of its low viscosity... it will seep into all the little nooks and crannies of your vehicle to protect it. The downside is that you have to do it every year.