PDA

View Full Version : Fake Healthy foods: Subway

Darkane
05-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Here's an Article by Chris Shugart. Shugart is an author and coach on the T-nation forums and I love reading his stuff. Check this out:

April 22: Die, Subway, Die

Don't you love it when studies back up what you've been saying for years?

A study in the Journal of Consumer Research shows a couple of things we already knew:

1. People underestimate the calories in foods they think are healthy. In this study, people were shown 1000 calories worth of food from Subway and 1000 calories worth of food from McDonalds.

Not only did they underestimate the calories in both meals, they were off by almost 500 calories when it came to the Subway meal!

Why? Two reasons:

* People are stupid, often willfully so.

* Big Fast Food knows this and uses it to sell more shitty food.

So, here you have Subway: a chain that likes to sell itself as "healthy," usually by promoting Jared, a guy who lost weight on a starvation diet that Subway's own nutritionist has spoken out against.

With enough marketing, people begin to associate Subway with health and weight loss. But while it's true they don't serve deep-fried fare, most of their foods aren't really diet friendly, being both high in calories and high in bready carbs.

(The last refuge of what I call "pretend health foods" is the low-fat label. As if only this particular macronutrient can get you fat.)

Right now Subway is promoting a $5 foot-long special. Their "low fat" foot-longs however can still hit 750 calories. And that's not counting the cheese and condiments you add. (Read the fine print, fatties.) Toss in your dressings and cheeses and you're looking at a 1000 calorie "low fat" sandwich, more cals than a Big Mac or a Whopper, even if it's lower in fat.

But wait, there's more. Here comes #2:

2) While Subway is sneaky and misleading about their "health food," it's YOU, the consumer who's ultimately responsible.

There's an old Roman saying, "The people want to be deceived, let them be deceived." Subway so easily deceives people because the people want very badly to believe that anything they get from Subway is healthy.

So, the fat consumer's thought process is this: "I'm fat. Subway is healthy. That guy on TV lost weight eating there. Okay, I'm in Subway. I'll take a foot-long meatball sub with cheese, add chips, and a large Coke."

By the way, the foot-long meatball sub is 1120 calories before you add anything. Add topping, chips, and a drink, and you're getting more calories in one meal than you probably need all day if your goal is fat loss. And yep, that sub even contains some trans-fat.

And here's the real whopper coming out of the same study: People eating at Subway are more likely to order large drinks and cookies along with their meals. Why? Because they assume that their sandwich is low in calories and "healthy."

"Please, Subway, deceive me! I'm begging you! I wanna chocolate chip cookie!!!!"

So, Subway, I crown thee King of Pretend Health Food.

And those of you who eat there and order foot-long meatball subs? I dub thee fools in Subway's court.

Hakkola
05-27-2008, 01:46 PM
:thumbsup:

Good to know I can eat at Subway again. :D

rc2002
05-27-2008, 01:49 PM
I usually have a footlong every day for lunch. It's one of the only things that actually fills me up so I know there's a lot of calories. The more the better. :)

Nutritional facts are on the website. The BMT is pretty close in fat content to burgers, the difference is you get more fresh vegetables.

SkittleFreak
05-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Subway promotes healthy (healthier) eating VS mcdonalds

And subway has low fat food options on the menu, same as mcdonalds. You don't have to order the Extra sauces, or condiments, thats what adds calories.

rmk
Subway is teh nast.

Darkane
Originally posted by richardchan2002
The BMT is pretty close in fat content to burgers, the difference is you get more fresh vegetables.

Exactly, and although the actual sub is still bad for you, the added vegetables will do certain things like increase insulin sensitivity, and reduce the glycemic load etc.

The key is to eat clean lean meats with veggies and limit starchy carb intake, while increasing EFA's (essential fatty acids)

Fish oil, Olive oil, Flax oil. All excellent for EFA's

All this assuming you want better body composition and not massing for Mr. Universe or something :D

GQBalla
05-27-2008, 01:55 PM
i knew jareds story was fake!

but oh well subway gets nasty anyways

treg50
05-27-2008, 02:22 PM
This may be a new thread, but isn't this old news? I'm not Subway supporter but the healthiness of Subway sandwiches are what YOU make it.

I read the Subway fine print years ago and accepted it as common sense --- Subway isn't bad until you load up the condiments (ie. mayo, some of the other sauces, etc.). If you want a saucey, juicy, flavourful sub, it's not going to be one of the healthy subs they're promoting.

The article also mentions the calories go up when people add a cookie, chips, and drink.... WOW REALLY??! If you're dumb enough not to know that OR to read that (it's in all Subways in front of your face) then you deserve to get fat. On top of that how often does someone eat fast food to get fat off of it --- the habit of buying fast food is the problem not Subway.

I'm not some freak that stays away from bread either, I love bread if it's around. If I get sub I get the wheat bun and watch the type of sauce/condiment.

bspot
05-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Jared cheated. He lost all that weight because he has aids.

The_Rural_Juror
05-27-2008, 03:32 PM

snowboard
05-27-2008, 03:39 PM
italian bmt on herb and cheese
lettuce tommatoes onions and cucumbers
ranch and subsauce

whatup lunch everyday since like grade ten lol.

A790
05-27-2008, 03:44 PM
six inch subway club, no sauce, with the bread hollowed out, no cheese.

Darkane
05-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by treg50
This may be a new thread, but isn't this old news? I'm not Subway supporter but the healthiness of Subway sandwiches are what YOU make it.

I read the Subway fine print years ago and accepted it as common sense --- Subway isn't bad until you load up the condiments (ie. mayo, some of the other sauces, etc.). If you want a saucey, juicy, flavourful sub, it's not going to be one of the healthy subs they're promoting.

The article also mentions the calories go up when people add a cookie, chips, and drink.... WOW REALLY??! If you're dumb enough not to know that OR to read that (it's in all Subways in front of your face) then you deserve to get fat. On top of that how often does someone eat fast food to get fat off of it --- the habit of buying fast food is the problem not Subway.

I'm not some freak that stays away from bread either, I love bread if it's around. If I get sub I get the wheat bun and watch the type of sauce/condiment.

This was geared toward the main public (You'd be surprised how stupid people are!). You might already be steps ahead of the game, or naturally taking your genetics for granted and impervious to it. Enjoy being skinny while you can ;)

szw
05-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by snowboard
italian bmt on herb and cheese
lettuce tommatoes onions and cucumbers
ranch and subsauce

whatup lunch everyday since like grade ten lol.

So whats that..like a year?

pinoyhero
05-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Amen, a loaf of white bread, plus 4 table spoons of mayo and a whack of cheese FTL

EG STyLeZ
06-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Even though the subway sandwich may be higher in calories, a greater percentage of those calories are in the form of protein and carbs (better carbs if you order whole wheat bread, etc.) and a smaller percentage from fats, as you suggested. That also has to be taken into consideration when you're weighing how (un)healthy it is.

Do you have a link to the original study that was done on the mcdonalds and subway meals by any chance? How do we know that they didn't test the one subway sandwich that had a greater variation in calories resulting from ie. variations in carb/fat/protein content?

ExtraSlow
06-04-2008, 10:18 AM
I agree with the above poster. Subway may not be "health food" exactly, but it is certainly healthier than the crap that the burger joints sling out.
Besides, it just tastes better, and you feel better after eating it. That's all the justification I need.

tabouli
06-04-2008, 10:31 AM
haha What a retarded article

"Die, Subway, Die"

"People are stupid, often willfully so."

The author is in grade 7? Sure seems so.
The backbone of the text is that if you get every veggie, every sauce, large coke, 3 cookies, and triple cheese, the sub might have as many calories as a Big Mac. Wow, thanks for the breakthrough info :rolleyes:

"Fake health food"? More like "wannabe nutrition spokesman", or "pre pharm for life club president". Looks like this loser just has a problem with Subway.

Or maybe Jared fucked his wife?

civic_stylez
06-04-2008, 04:05 PM
i just always loved how their "grilled chicken" is black ink on grade f chicken thats cooked in a microwave... eat fresh is right!!!

GTS Jeff
06-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by EG STyLeZ
Even though the subway sandwich may be higher in calories, a greater percentage of those calories are in the form of protein and carbs (better carbs if you order whole wheat bread, etc.) and a smaller percentage from fats, as you suggested. That also has to be taken into consideration when you're weighing how (un)healthy it is.

Do you have a link to the original study that was done on the mcdonalds and subway meals by any chance? How do we know that they didn't test the one subway sandwich that had a greater variation in calories resulting from ie. variations in carb/fat/protein content?

:werd: That dude thinks low-cal = healthy. I guess it hasn't occurred to him that health and nutrition also involve what you eat, like the fact that a burger is going to clog your arteries with trans fat and cholesterol or that all the vegetables in Subway sandwiches give you more vitamins and more fibre in your diet.

Hakkola
06-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

:werd: That dude thinks low-cal = healthy. I guess it hasn't occurred to him that health and nutrition also involve what you eat, like the fact that a burger is going to clog your arteries with trans fat and cholesterol or that all the vegetables in Subway sandwiches give you more vitamins and more fibre in your diet.

Glad to see a nutrition degree is worth something. ;)

gsrrr
06-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

No no, he had aides, not aids or Aids.

Maybe he had AYDS.

vfOQ3O4kD3I

DelSoln
06-04-2008, 06:32 PM
There is 30 g of fat in just the 6 inch tuna? :eek:

http://world.subway.com/Countries/NutritionFiles/CanNutritionValues.pdf

dezmarez
06-04-2008, 06:50 PM
my question is....
if you are active...do you even need to worry about calories??

StolenBlackAck
06-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Jared cheated. He lost all that weight because he has aids.

hahaha wtf

msommers
06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I have to agree with a lot of the posters here. Subway is certainly healthier than a big mac provided you don't triple your meats & cheese with 5 lbs of mayo. However, subway doesn't exactly use "quality" processed meats, which I'm sure are full of byproducts and contains a higher percentage of fat compared to other meats available. Nonetheless, I still enjoy it and will continue to get my honey oat subway club with "the works" :drool:

black13
06-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Well I'm guessing the main article is referring to people who assume no matter what they order at Subway is considered eating healthy.
And I'm gonna assume alot of people order extra sauce/meat and protend its healthy eating.

Aside from that this is obvious info.

Personally I love the turkey breast sub with lettuse, tomatoes and onions. Thats all I get on mine, no sauce with whole wheat bread and the 6" comes under 300 calories and fills me up good.

Chris101
06-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by StolenBlackAck

hahaha wtf

South Park

Eleanor
06-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by A790

:barf:

Originally posted by DelSoln
There is 30 g of fat in just the 6 inch tuna? :eek:

http://world.subway.com/Countries/NutritionFiles/CanNutritionValues.pdf

Can you say mayonnaise?

luxor
06-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

With enough marketing, people begin to associate Subway with health and weight loss. But while it's true they don't serve deep-fried fare, most of their foods aren't really diet friendly, being both high in calories and high in bready carbs.

That is the main subject here. The article isn't arguing that subway is just as bad as McD's or other chains, it is saying that its not THAT much better. For those who are looking to lose some weight, subway shouldn't even be an option because it is still a form of fast food.

We all know how hard it is to lose weight. Unless you are bulimic, you would have to eat right, eat more small meals, and exercise. The meals presented by subway is NOT a good method to lose weight, contrary to what the marketing department of subway and jared has to say.

Its no a secret that subway isn't as good as the ads say, thats why i personally don't eat it but lots of stupid people will.

zipdoa
06-05-2008, 10:24 PM
What about peter's drive in?

ExtraSlow
06-05-2008, 10:32 PM
I've heard that if you break a cookie in half, all the calories leak out and you can eat it with no effect on your diet.
Does this work with Bic Mac's?

sevewone
06-12-2008, 09:55 PM
, with the bread hollowed out, no cheese.

I tried that on numerous occasions and they had no idea what I was talking about. Not only that, they pretty much refused to even do it cause they "didnt know how to". :banghead:

A790
06-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by sevewone

I tried that on numerous occasions and they had no idea what I was talking about. Not only that, they pretty much refused to even do it cause they "didnt know how to". :banghead:

I've never had a problem. One time the girl was like "what?" and I told her to scoop out the bread in the middle and she just did it. No problem at all.

Fuck that, I eat Subway every second day and I've been losing weight since March. I love Subway because it's fast and I don't have to feel guilty about what I'm eating.

Nekura
06-23-2008, 12:08 AM
i love eating subway. I dont know about you guys, but it is SOO much better than macdonalds or anything else. It really all depends on what you put on it. I usually get a subway club, or just turkey, with just lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green peppers and LOTS of banana peppers. the juices itself from the banana peppers make up for the sauces that i dont put it. then i just top it off with some mustard and pepper. no salt though, cuz thats just adding more sodium to your food than you already need.

and no, people who eat subway are not just stupid, its just that the majority go there, double meat, slab on some extra bacon, a shitload of mayo and everything else. but if you ever paid attention, most of the people that do that you can already tell go to mcdonalds quite often.

Bimmer88
06-23-2008, 01:47 AM
The article only really says how much calories wise is a meatball sub... doesn't show other healthier subs... But I could be wrong I only skimmed the article.

I love my Footlong BMT!

snowboard
06-23-2008, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by szw

So whats that..like a year?

5 years brothaaaaaa, dont be a fuckin grump.

badseed
07-02-2008, 09:48 AM

^^Sounds like you'd be better off just making your own sandwhich.......haha.

Calories aside, in the end your still eating refined bread, processed meat saturated with salt and preservatives, processed cheese. Are you better of eating a footlong sub rather than a whopper combo @ BK.........abosolutlely but only becuase the of the content in the food. (Sub=low in saturated fats, more veggies, not deep fried, etc.)

Ulitimately there are no such thing as "healthy" fast food chains. You will find all of the above at the majority of fast food chains, no matter what. Individulas who really want to make an effort and eat "clean" will prepare ther own meals and even then most foods bought at your average grocerie store are still loaded with preservatives, salt, fat, sugar and typically low in fibre and essential fats.

devilsmaster
07-03-2008, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
i knew jareds story was fake!

but oh well subway gets nasty anyways

Yeah, i also think so subway gets nasty.

89coupe
07-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Face it, you're FAT because you eat too much and you're fucking lazy. There is no other reason.

I eat whatever I fucking want, but I'm not fat and I'm not lazy.

analbumcover
07-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Face it, you're FAT because you eat too much and you're fucking lazy. There is no other reason.

I eat whatever I fucking want, but I'm not fat and I'm not lazy.

Thats because the more you spend on food the less you get on your plate

you're probably starvin like marvin girllllllllllllll

A790
07-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by analbumcover

Thats because the more you spend on food the less you get on your plate

you're probably starvin like marvin girllllllllllllll
Jealousy is a bitch, but you could at least try to keep it from being obvious :)

cjay^
07-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
i just always loved how their "grilled chicken" is black ink on grade f chicken thats cooked in a microwave... eat fresh is right!!!

haha i could never figure out why the "oven roasted chicken" had grill marks.