PDA

View Full Version : Interview questions

swak
05-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Ive noticed that almost every interview ive gone to, at the end they ask if i have any questions for them...But i never do.

Im sure it doesnt look that great..
What are some good questions to ask?

Also what would be some good pointers for a general interview.

**I have an interview applying for my dream job, this interview is huge to me right now, any tips would be greatly greatly appreciated**

Thanks again!

realazy
05-27-2008, 06:29 PM
I like to ask if there will be training on the job, or would I be required to take a course.

If you know something specific about the position and would like clarification you can always ask that too.

I heard that some people might like to ask the interviewer the good and bad points about working for the company.

revelations
05-27-2008, 06:52 PM
^ that last one is a good one... never thought about it

mac_82
05-27-2008, 09:13 PM
-on the job training is a good one, or being able to take technical or managerial courses to continue to improve on the job

-stability of the company

-opportunity to move up and advance

-turn over rate

-good/bad points of working with the company is another good one

-after work activities (hockey team, baseball, etc) important for myself personally, but can also show a desire to be a part of the team and build personal relationships with coworkers

-benefits

-educational/job backgrounds of bosses/interviewers

dezmarez
05-27-2008, 09:41 PM
one question that will totally surprise them and put them on their heels is.....can u describe the perfect candidate for me?
basically lays out what you should have said in the interview

Ajay
05-27-2008, 10:24 PM
You can always ask if the position you're interviewing for is a new position or back filling a position. If it's back filling what happened to the previous employee?

swak
05-28-2008, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by mac_82
-on the job training is a good one, or being able to take technical or managerial courses to continue to improve on the job

-stability of the company

-opportunity to move up and advance

-turn over rate

-good/bad points of working with the company is another good one

-after work activities (hockey team, baseball, etc) important for myself personally, but can also show a desire to be a part of the team and build personal relationships with coworkers

-benefits

-educational/job backgrounds of bosses/interviewers

Thank you!
Great questions!

Skyline_Addict
05-28-2008, 10:30 AM
another good question to ask is about the history of the company or the particular department you are applying for in the said company. ask questions about things like international development (if it is an international company) by asking questions which show that you already know something about the company, but you want to find out more. this shows that you're interested in what the company is about and managers usually like to talk about this stuff.

TeamBestBud
05-28-2008, 10:34 AM
One question I like to ask is: Will sexual harassment be prosecuted or graded?
Usually that ones a deal breaker for me as well, being the employee.

Grogador
05-28-2008, 11:56 AM
I start by interviewing the interviewer(s); how long they've been with the company, what position they started in, qualifications... gives you an idea if the management/leads are competent, and allows you to develop a more personal relationship with them before you even have the job. Then try to get a feel (or just straight ask) if they think you'd be a good fit for their team. If the response is positive, break into benefits, possible overtime/shifts, education/training... Stability of the company and their market position you should research before the interview, can possibly chit-chat about that... I kinda try to make it a bit more casual at this point (without wasting their time obviously) so that they are more willing to be open about the working conditions at their company/department.

G'luck! :thumbsup:

em2ab
05-28-2008, 12:07 PM
I always ask how many people are currently working on the team, what's the scope of the project, what are the time lines like? Which software are they using for it right now?

All mine are development related.

jmc
05-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Ask the interviewer how long they been with the company, and what they like most about the company.
Also ask about if they have any concerns for you, regrading you taking on the position you are applying. If they do, try to address them.

Crymson
05-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Whatever you do. do NOT ask the interviewer about stuff that you found out by googling their name. Some guy did that to me, busted out some stuff he found out about me on google (it was somewhat job related), but i was creeped out.

em2ab
05-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
Whatever you do. do NOT ask the interviewer about stuff that you found out by googling their name. Some guy did that to me, busted out some stuff he found out about me on google (it was somewhat job related), but i was creeped out.

I have a video on YouTube of me doing a Rubik's cube in 75 seconds. When I got to an interview, these 2 guys had a Rubik's cube on the table and a timer! It was one of those shitty $2 cubes though so I couldn't turn it worth fuck but I still ended up doing it faster than the guy that owned it. Ya, I didn't get that job.