PDA

View Full Version : 08 Rabbit or 08.5 Mazda 3 GT Sport

meilleur24
05-27-2008, 08:54 PM
As title say's...I've looked/driven both...both 5 spd....like them equally...Cost basically $10/mth difference....just can't make up my mind....what are your thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

Accord_tunerx
05-27-2008, 09:12 PM
what are you using both cars for just a daily driver?
looking to carry stuff? or no?

Mr. Burns
05-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Rabbit.

BlackArcher101
05-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Are you leasing or financing?
Daily driver? Long road trips? Carrying anything?

meilleur24
05-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Wehatever car I choose will be a daily driver...not really carrying a ton...but I do have dogs...and like the look of hatch's...and it will be financed.

BlackArcher101
05-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Mazda 3 then

Accord_tunerx
05-27-2008, 10:51 PM
mazda 3

Aleks
05-28-2008, 07:19 AM
If you want the best car in the segment get the Rabbit,

if you want something that will save you ~ $10 per fill up get the Mazda 3.

Also if you can wait a few months the 09 Rabbits will come with a sport pack option that includes HIDs, fogs, 17" GTi wheels etc.

http://www.showyourmedia.com/files/1207242177.jpg

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/sedans/sensible_shoes_comparison_test+page-7.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/sedans/2009_toyota_corolla_vs_ford_focus_vw_rabbit_subaru_impreza_and_four_more_economy_cars_comparison_test+page-9.html

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-28-2008, 07:35 AM
I'm looking into a Rabbit... When are the 09's due to come out? What other changes are there going to be?

Aleks
05-28-2008, 08:15 AM
They should be out mid august.

Check this thread. There is a link there with all the options. Sport pack is the biggest one. Looks like USA won't get that.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3850515&page=1

sillysod
05-28-2008, 08:19 AM
If you take care of your car get the VW.

If you just want something to drive and not worry about missing the odd oil change etc, go Mazda.

Of the cars I have owned I have noticed although not as much fun to drive the Japaneese cars are a lot less to maintain.

On the other hand everybody has Mazda 3's and 5 years down the road the VW will be a nicer car.

01RedDX
05-28-2008, 08:19 AM

BananaFob
05-28-2008, 08:20 AM
My dad just bought an 08.5 Mazda 3 Hatch with the luxury package. Comes with a lot of new features over previous models of Mazda 3.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-28-2008, 08:21 AM
So essentially they upgraded the comfortline package?

I'm actually looking into ordering one the day my car sells, so I have some money down for it. I've basically already picked it over the Matrix Xrs and the Mazda 3 2008.5 (sport or sedan). If it's only a few hundred more for this package... I'm in!

BananaFob
05-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
So essentially they upgraded the comfortline package?

I'm actually looking into ordering one the day my car sells, so I have some money down for it. I've basically already picked it over the Matrix Xrs and the Mazda 3 2008.5 (sport or sedan). If it's only a few hundred more for this package... I'm in!

Not exactly. The comfort package is for the Mazda3 GS, the GT comes with the optional luxury package which comes with 6 disc in dash changer with mp3 support, free Sirius for 3 months and a piano black finish to replace the fake carbon fibre paneling in the interior on previous models, Bose 7 speaker system and heated leather seats. HID's are either standard with the GT or part of the package, don't remember.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-28-2008, 08:28 AM
Talking about the Rabbit...

Aleks
05-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Talking about the Rabbit...

So You've driven both? The sport pack looks interesting for sure.

In the US there is a Thunderbunny body kit that's going to be optional but it's 3K US Not sure if it's coming to Canada.

http://images.europeancarweb.com/firstlook/0612_ec_02_z+2007_Volkswagen_Thunder_Bunny+front_view.jpg

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-28-2008, 08:31 AM
I haven't driven the Mazda3, but I've already made my decision. Any idea on what the bodykit is that they show in the dealer flyers? I asked the dealer, and they didn't know.

Aleks
05-28-2008, 08:37 AM
It's the Votex body kit. I am thinking of getting one for my GTi. They are pricey as well but maybe you could work it into the deal at a discount.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g290/thetransporter2007/vwvortex/Rabbit_1.jpg

http://vw.niello.com/images/pic_rabbit.jpg

rc2002
05-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Tough call but the Rabbit would be my choice only because the Mazda 3 is due for a styling refresh pretty soon.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-28-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
It's the Votex body kit. I am thinking of getting one for my GTi. They are pricey as well but maybe you could work it into the deal at a discount.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g290/thetransporter2007/vwvortex/Rabbit_1.jpg

http://vw.niello.com/images/pic_rabbit.jpg

That's exactly what I want mine to look like. Candy white 5-door w/ the Votex kit.

I want the 5 spd manual, as the tiptronic is not a DSG like the GTI.

I also think I may need to wait for that Sport package, not necessarily for the 17" Rims, but the Fogs and HID's. I'm going to be waiting regardless due to having to sell my car first.

The interesting part is going to be driving the pinto as my DD in the mean time.

Klobi-1-Kinobi
05-28-2008, 10:30 AM
If you're looking at a well optioned rabbit you might think of picking up a base gti for a few grand more. $27,9xx with 0.9% financing for the gti and I think they come pretty loaded on the base model.

weeznah
05-28-2008, 11:41 AM
rabbit withought a doubt.

heavyD
05-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
If you take care of your car get the VW.

If you just want something to drive and not worry about missing the odd oil change etc, go Mazda.

Ha Ha. Considering Mazda is the least reliable Japanese brand after Suzuki reliability between the two cars will probably be a wash.

dragonone
05-28-2008, 06:41 PM
have u test driven them yet?

if you ever think about automatic, i vote the rabbit, it has amazing response on the pedal

i still think gti's a better buy, it's almost in the same price range

signature7
05-28-2008, 06:47 PM
rabbit

Klobi-1-Kinobi
05-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Ha Ha. Considering Mazda is the least reliable Japanese brand after Suzuki reliability between the two cars will probably be a wash.

Really? I'm pretty sure the mazda 3 is a consumer reports top pick, and one of the more reliable cars out there. :dunno:

heavyD
05-29-2008, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Klobi-1-Kinobi

Really? I'm pretty sure the mazda 3 is a consumer reports top pick, and one of the more reliable cars out there. :dunno:

No Mazda outside of the Miata is one of the more reliable cars out there. How many Mazda's from the 90's do you still see on the roads? Not too many since they usually don't last more than five years. They have consistently ranked below average in used car reliability over the years.

mazdavirgin
05-29-2008, 08:56 AM
No Mazda outside of the Miata is one of the more reliable cars out there. How many Mazda's from the 90's do you still see on the roads? Not too many since they usually don't last more than five years. They have consistently ranked below average in used car reliability over the years.

I don't know about that... I see piles of rx-7's both LHD and RHD not to mention it's not like seeing a beat up 626/323 is a rare sight. Just because the rest of the city has a Honda/Toyota fetish and seems to believe 10 year old hondas are worth 3/4 of their original price...

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-29-2008, 09:21 AM
I see old protege's ALL the time.

BlackArcher101
05-29-2008, 09:50 AM

You have got to be kidding me. You're basing the quality of a company based on the low quantity of vehicles remaining vs other vehicles.

You do realize the quality a car company puts out changes year to year and can actually improve/degrade? One reason you don't see a lot of 90's Mazda's is that the sale #'s weren't there compared to others.

No one needs to look further than VW and their mexico fiasco for a good example of how a company can change quality one year to the next. How can you recommend buying a new Rabbit, which is still in it's infancy in terms of warranty period, because it has a higher quality than a Mazda 3? Mazda's already out of warranty are still holding very strong with little repairs needed... can you say the same thing for the Rabbit?

Aleks
05-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Rabbit is made in Germany. MKV Golf has been out for 4 years now.

I bought a Rabbit then, a GTI because they were nicer (to me) than a Mazda in every way. I was aware of their reliability records but I dont keep my cars for 15 years and I know No new car no matter the manufacturer is likely to leave you stranded on the side of the road.

Consumer Report Ratings.
Rabbit (2.5L)
2006: Insufficient data
2007: Better than Average
Overall Verdict: Better than Average
Discussion: We note that for the first time in recent memory, a VW is rated better than average in the CR survey. Due to the 06 going on sale halfway through the year, not enough people filled out surveys to get info on those cars.

heavyD
05-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101

You have got to be kidding me. You're basing the quality of a company based on the low quantity of vehicles remaining vs other vehicles.

You do realize the quality a car company puts out changes year to year and can actually improve/degrade? One reason you don't see a lot of 90's Mazda's is that the sale #'s weren't there compared to others.

No one needs to look further than VW and their mexico fiasco for a good example of how a company can change quality one year to the next. How can you recommend buying a new Rabbit, which is still in it's infancy in terms of warranty period, because it has a higher quality than a Mazda 3? Mazda's already out of warranty are still holding very strong with little repairs needed... can you say the same thing for the Rabbit?

No I'm not basing quality off how many are left on the road. Take a look at 5-year used car reliability from consumer reports. The only Mazda vehicle that doesn't have spotty reliability is the Miata.

Klobi-1-Kinobi
05-30-2008, 01:51 AM

Strange. Could've sworn consumer reports had mostly solid red dots next to the mazda 3, along with a recommended buy label. But I was just quickly flipping through one at chapters a while back.

heavyD
05-30-2008, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Klobi-1-Kinobi

Strange. Could've sworn consumer reports had mostly solid red dots next to the mazda 3, along with a recommended buy label. But I was just quickly flipping through one at chapters a while back.

Yes Consumer Reports likes the 3 but the 6 is not recommended do to poor reliability and we all know the RX8 is a POS. As a whole Mazda is below average.