PDA

View Full Version : finally got boost again

voodoo
08-22-2003, 08:59 AM
well the VW supercharger blew on the second day, (aparently it was faulty when we put it in) but now, after 2 long weeks of modding, i now am the owner of a mercedes c230 kompressor supercharger in my cavalier

. WELL I FINALLY GOT IT LAST NIGHT. all i can say is HOLY MOTHER OF GOD. you should hear this supercharger whine. with the engine bay open you cant stand infront of it, it hurts your ears last night. MY CAR IS RUNNING PERFECTLY FINE, the only catch is that the butterfly valve which vents the excess pressure is opening, almost as soon as i hit 2000rpms, so im getting very little boost.
but im goin in on saturday to change to a stiffer spring. hopefully then i will have some fun.

oh i will take pics this weekend. its almost 100% completly hidden

davidI
08-22-2003, 09:02 AM
sweet man, you're going to have to run it down the 1320 or dyno it and let us know how it does. Is you car a sleeper on the exterior or how does it look?

rage2
08-22-2003, 09:04 AM
Why do you have a wastegate in a supercharged car? Venting exhaust won't do nothing to boost since boost is regulated by engine speed, not exhaust flow.

legendboy
08-22-2003, 09:25 AM
what engine management are you running? Timing retard??

voodoo
08-22-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Why do you have a wastegate in a supercharged car? Venting exhaust won't do nothing to boost since boost is regulated by engine speed, not exhaust flow.

its not the exaust thats being vented. its the excess pressure (ie once it hits 8psi, in this case its more like 2psi) that the supercharger makes.

does that make sense? im not really mechanically smart, so its kinda hard for me to explain

voodoo
08-22-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by legendboy
what engine management are you running? Timing retard??

well i have a MSD DIS II ignition to retard the timing

then i have the 310 or320cc (i forget what it is) injectors out of the old 2.3 HO engine, and i have a bell engineering rising rate FMU.

and next is a new fuel pump and fuel rail.

LUDELVR
08-22-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by voodoo

then i have the 310 or320cc (i forget what it is) injectors out of the old 2.3 HO engine, and i have a bell engineering rising rate FMU.

and next is a new fuel pump and fuel rail.

Ahhh, yes.....the good old FMU's!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rofl:

Akagi Redsuns
08-22-2003, 10:11 AM

its not the exaust thats being vented. its the excess pressure (ie once it hits 8psi, in this case its more like 2psi) that the supercharger makes.

does that make sense? im not really mechanically smart, so its kinda hard for me to explain

Sounds like a pop-off valve. Can you use that to regulate pressure? I always see it in use in turbo cars as a "in case shit happens" sort of thing device to prevent overboosting. Obviously in a turbo car the wastegate controls the pressure via regulating the exhaust side of the turbo. Superchargers seems to just use the pulleys to regulate pressure. Maybe just need to install a bigger pulley to make it spin less and create less boost and get rid of the valve? I dunno.

voodoo
08-22-2003, 10:15 AM
yeh that sounds like what it its for. yes its to prevent over boosting.

i guess i could just use a bigger pulley, im not entirley sure though

hjr
08-22-2003, 01:02 PM
AKA - Blowoff valve, not waistgate

voodoo
08-22-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by hjr

yeh i realized that afterwards. my bad

rage2
08-22-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by hjr
Actually, it's a Pop off Valve. A blow off valve stays closed during open throttle (the diaphram is pushed down by inlet pressure on both sides) and only opens when throttle is closed, and there's a pressure difference between the 2 sides of the throttle body.

Pop off Valve opens based on inlet pressure during open throttle.

legendboy
08-22-2003, 01:51 PM

Quote from the MSD website:

"During low speed operation, the MSD DIS Ignitions use the factory ignition to control basic timing functions."

Your gonna have major detonation problems at part throttle!!!!!!!

"Once maximum timing is achieved, the DIS-4 can be programmed to retard the timing at a specific rate and rpm point to prevent engine damage due to detonation caused by excessive timing."

Being supercharged you can get away (getto) with rpm based timing retard but I have a feeling that your motor may not last too long running this setup :dunno: It may be worth your time to look into a real standalone, I think even stock ignition and an MSD BTM would be better suited to your application since your basically always in boost, even at part throttle where it is going to kill you.

oh ya, i'd really like to see some pics, and install pics of your engine bay! Good job on getting it to work!! haha

voodoo
08-22-2003, 01:55 PM
i will have pics and a video hopefully tonight.

thanks legendboy, i was also reading that, and after talking with rage 2, stand alone seems to be the way to go. anyone have any good websites i can read up on this stand alone stuff?

voodoo
08-22-2003, 01:57 PM

oh ya, i'd really like to see some pics, and install pics of your engine bay! Good job on getting it to work!! haha

no laughin, we only used 2inch PVC piping to make sure it works. now that it does i plan on getting some 2 1/2" or 3" aluminum piping

Vitesse951
08-22-2003, 02:17 PM
I am assuming this is a centrifugal supercharger, and you are talking about the pipe diameter between the supercharger and the Throttle body. If so, 3" is way too big. You will actually experience lag with that big of a pipe. This is because you have to compress all that extra air space in the pipe before you start moving air into the engine. I wouldn't use pipe any bigger than the throttle body diameter.

However, if you were talking about intake piping between the filter and supercharger, go for 3" :)

voodoo
08-22-2003, 02:19 PM
i was refering to both.

so should i do 3 inches for the intake side, and then

2 or 2 1/4 for the supercharger to intercooler to TB????

legendboy
08-22-2003, 02:32 PM
PCV pipe isn't the best idea, lots turbo guys have tried it but they melt pretty eaisly, but I think supercharged air is alot cooler than turbo compressed air. I could help you out with piping if you wanted.

You better get that bioch down to dynomotive to see what your a/f is doing before you drive much I think.

voodoo
08-22-2003, 02:35 PM
PCV pipe isn't the best idea, lots turbo guys have tried it but they melt pretty eaisly, but I think supercharged air is alot cooler than turbo compressed air. I could help you out with piping if you wanted.

yeh the piping was just cheap and tempoary, we didtn want to shell out for mandrel bent stuff if it wasnt gonna work

Originally posted by legendboy You better get that bioch down to dynomotive to see what your a/f is doing before you drive much I think.

how much do they charge to dyno tune a car?????

sxtasy
08-22-2003, 07:01 PM
haha must be nice to live at home still, you got to much money haha jk. Once you got that shit figured out bring your car by, I'll teach you how to drive it:D

voodoo
08-23-2003, 12:10 AM
thanks justin. lol

Hash_man
08-23-2003, 11:18 AM
I saw the supercharger getting installed, it looks pretty sweet, but sounds like you got a few kinks to work out.