PDA

View Full Version : Shop Install Question

Big Double U
05-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Hey guys, i took my srt8 in to shop to get air ride installed. They are a high end porsche/bmw/mercedes shop and have been around for 30 years so i assumed they would be good to go.

So after looking at car/kit (from Universalairsuspension.com btw), i was told over the phone it would take 20 hours or so labor time. I've read UAS's posts about install and they saying it would take about 3 days so that was right in line. Got a call today saying they have already done 32 hours and they weren't done and would be another 3 or 4 hours. That works out to an additonal $1500 extra in labor on my dollar... They never called me during this time, saying anything about the additional labor, only after they'd already done it.

What can i do about this? I have nothing in writing for a quote, i understand 4 even 5 hours on top of this but 15 hours extra? Whats your guys thoughts on this? Owner says he's willing to negotiate with me to keep me as happy customer.

Big Double U
05-27-2008, 11:20 PM
If i were to refuse to pay the whole amount, can they call a collecton company on me or try and keep my vehicle?

vtec
05-27-2008, 11:35 PM
i believe they do hold a right to hold onto your vehicle until all dues are paid off.

Big Double U
05-27-2008, 11:36 PM
even if i haven't signed anything or approved them to do the additonal labor?

Rocky
05-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Pay half of what they quoted you over 20 hours (so if it's 36, pay for 20 + 8 hours of labor).

mazdavirgin
05-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Man up and pay the bill... That's the price you pay when you take it to a shop which likely hasn't installed that kit previously. If labour was such a big deal you should have done it yourself. Crap happens and they didn't know how long it would take. Someones guess over at the kits website is exactly that a guess. They should have informed you when it was running over but really what were you going to say ok stop ill pay for half the install?

Big Double U
05-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
Pay half of what they quoted you over 20 hours (so if it's 36, pay for 20 + 8 hours of labor).
thats what i was thinkin aswell

Big Double U
05-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
Man up and pay the bill... That's the price you pay when you take it to a shop which likely hasn't installed that kit previously. If labour was such a big deal you should have done it yourself. Crap happens and they didn't know how long it would take. Someones guess over at the kits website is exactly that a guess. They should have informed you when it was running over but really what were you going to say ok stop ill pay for half the install?

Labour being a big deal? I don't have the time to do it myself, i was quoted 20 hours which i was fine with but an additional $1500........
C'mon man, do u own a shop or something? Who in there right mind is gonna shovel out an additional 1500 bux they weren't expecting to pay.
It should be the shops responsibility to say "hey, looking at this system we don't know wtf we are doing" I'd have gone elsewhere obviously.

rice_balls
05-28-2008, 12:21 AM
You got raped

Originally posted by Rocky

^^ I would also do this :thumbsup:

97'Scort
05-28-2008, 12:53 AM
When we quote time for a job, if we can't nail it we call the customer and let them give the approval. If they went over the quote (especially DOUBLE) they're in for some of it. They should have let you know that they weren't familiar with the kit and it would take longer than expected.

forced_eg
05-28-2008, 01:02 AM
no written quote then your screwed, if you had a verbal agreement, then you can whine an bitch but its up to their discretion whether to give you a break or not, or else your only option is to rant about it on beyond and hurt their business someway, either way your screwed outta $1500 (or less)

JRSC00LUDE
05-28-2008, 12:51 PM
If you don't want to stand by a quote then don't give one.

Last time I paid for an install of something I was given a three hour quote and it took them almost six. They just did the work and finished the job and stood by their verbal quote because that's what a decent business does and in the words of the person I dealt with "Now we'll know for next time....".

Granted there is more money on the line here but they should be agreeable in splitting the difference/working something reasonable out imo.

BrknFngrs
05-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
If you don't want to stand by a quote then don't give one.

Last time I paid for an install of something I was given a three hour quote and it took them almost six. They just did the work and finished the job and stood by their verbal quote because that's what a decent business does and in the words of the person I dealt with "Now we'll know for next time....".

Granted there is more money on the line here but they should be agreeable in splitting the difference/working something reasonable out imo.

Agreed 100%

If you don't know how long it is going to take warn the customer that you can't give a very accurate estimate for w/e reason. Don't say "oh ya, it'll take a few hours" only to find out "oh....ya....it actually took 12...my bad" :guns:

1-Bar
05-28-2008, 01:10 PM
12+ extra, definitely they knew they were going over the 20 hour quote and blatantly disregarded to call and inform you....4-5 hours extra acceptable, but not 12+

bobby_lu
05-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Shouldn't be your responsibility, had they called you and warned you as such, then its a different story.

Happened to me at a shop once where I was under quoted by a few hours, but "reluctantly" let me pay the original quote. Mind you after the fact I was made to feel like they did me the greates favour in the world and as I was stealing from them. :thumbsdow

03ozwhip
05-28-2008, 03:06 PM
12+ extra hours is UNACCEPTABLE if you have to pay it. unfortunately if you dont have it in writing im not sure there is much you can do about it. they might have seemed like a reputable shop, but not one that does air ride constantly where as a place that does would do it in the time they said it would take. -1 for you not doing your homework first, good luck getting it resolved.