PDA

View Full Version : Windshield replacement issues

Dirty_SOHC
05-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Windshield replacement issues

I recently replaced my windshield at a local shop located in the south, for a decent price. The problem that I have is that there are 4 spots in the windshield that causes distortion. The distortion is enough to make straight objects like fences and poles to bend to a small degree, but is enough to distract you when driving. Do you think this is a defect with the new window itself, and that the shop will choose to replace it?

Windshield itself made by PPG and is on a 07 Subaru Impreza.

Thanks!

cyrusli
05-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Worth a try going back to the windshield shop and see what they would say..

at the same time, I've had my windshield replaced on most of my cars at least once and I noticed that unless you go back to the dealership and get a factory piece of glass, chances that replacements will not be perfectly smooth. and again, going to the dealerships will usually get pretty expensive.

Cyrus

bobby_lu
05-28-2008, 02:10 PM
I have heard of shops offering "optically incorrect" windshields for cheaper...but since you were expecting a good one and were not told other wise, why not go pay them a visit?

Any warranty?

megavolt
05-28-2008, 02:10 PM
CALL THEM... whining on beyond won't get anything done. Definately say that it's distracting and you don't feel safe driving the car.

rc2002
05-28-2008, 02:13 PM
None of the windshields I've had changed had distortion like that, and all of mine were aftermarket.

I'd have a talk with them and ask them. Sounds like a safety hazard to me.

Is the glass clean? My dad had his windshield replaced with an OEM one, and they didn't clean it. Some of the smears and specks were hardly visible but made a big difference.

Dirty_SOHC
05-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by megavolt
CALL THEM... whining on beyond won't get anything done. Definately say that it's distracting and you don't feel safe driving the car.

I created this post to get opinions, to see if this problem this is a normal occurrence with replacement windshields. Also if I would get any difficulties with the shop to get it replaced. If you consider this whining, you should reread my original post and thank you for stating the obvious...

Originally posted by richardchan2002
None of the windshields I've had changed had distortion like that, and all of mine were aftermarket.

I'd have a talk with them and ask them. Sounds like a safety hazard to me.

Is the glass clean? My dad had his windshield replaced with an OEM one, and they didn't clean it. Some of the smears and specks were hardly visible but made a big difference.

One thing that the shop did do well was in cleaning the windshield. It’s super clean... :P