PDA

View Full Version : HongKong Prices

shirshamshir
05-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Anyone know if prices in hongkong are cheap?
for stuff like
ps3
wii
iphone

or other stuff?

i heard you can get from 100 to 200 dollars cheaper if you actually go there

if so, anyone know where to go to get these places?
just need some info to get some cheaper stuff :)

eblend
05-28-2008, 09:20 PM
I got an R4 + a gig card from HK for $40 bucks, so I don't know. Didn't look at other stuff, but the R4 was definately cheaper, i doubt official products are cheaper

shirshamshir
05-28-2008, 09:36 PM
im guessing not a lot of people know
but im not sure on consoles, but im close to betting that phones might be cheap
dont know

anyone else with knowledge?

roopi
05-28-2008, 10:16 PM
iPhone is definately not cheaper in HK (unless it's a fake.) As for other phones all the shops that I checked out were a bit cheaper but the savings wasn't exactly what I expected. Most phones seemed to be $50-$125 cheaper. The iTouch was about $100 cheaper when I was there last.

rice_balls
05-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Wouldn't the ps3, wii and 360 have a Asia specific region setting? So you wouldn't be able to play any games unless you get games from asia.

C4S
05-28-2008, 11:41 PM
None of the about ..

Price is about the same for PS3/wii/360 over there ..

Unless you are going to play all the KNOCK OFF games .. ( or BT )

Iphone is much cheaper here ..

my buddy bought 30 plus Iphone from US .. and sold them to stores in HK .. he made some good money .. and those stores can still make good money ..

Buy whatever samsung .. SE Nokia phones . or softbank .. buy them in HK .. use it for few month .. and you can sell them here for more .. :)

wildrice
05-28-2008, 11:44 PM
console prices are comparable to our prices.
games are slightly cheaper if you know where to go. ( there's a building that has a couple floors with independently owned shops that sell cheap games, possibly stolen ones, but they do work).
phones aren't that much cheaper. 50-100ish.

dragonone
05-29-2008, 02:58 AM
yup none of the stuff u listed is cheaper in HK, even if it's just a little
not to mention the hassle of warranties

GQBalla
05-29-2008, 08:32 AM
phones are almost exactly the same price.

to buy phones i would go to thailand a few of my friends have said electronics in thailand is much cheaper than here.

anarchy
05-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by dragonone
yup none of the stuff u listed is cheaper in HK, even if it's just a little
not to mention the hassle of warranties

:werd:

I was there in November and phones were slightly cheaper but not that much savings. You'll have more selection down there but that's about it. And iPhone is way more expensive down there.

As for games, the ones I saw were all the same price.

The only thing I found cheap in HK was the clothes, but it was either fakes or non name brand.

CaptainReboot
05-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by shirshamshir
Anyone know if prices in hongkong are cheap?
for stuff like
ps3
wii
iphone

or other stuff?

i heard you can get from 100 to 200 dollars cheaper if you actually go there

if so, anyone know where to go to get these places?
just need some info to get some cheaper stuff :)

Your best best for stuff like that is Golden Computer Arcade in Sham Shui Po. You can get off at the Sham Shui Po MTR station and then just follow the signs in the subway as to what exit you need to leave from.

The other computer center is in Mong Kok, called the Mong Kok Computer. I think you get off at Mong Kok station. In any case, both places are really crowded, so just make sure you're not flashing around a lot of cash, or leave your wallet easily accessible. I think there are a few places on Hong Kong Island as well, but I didn't visit those.

For name brand electronics, in the Habour City mall in Tsim Sha Tsui there is a wing full of asian electronics stores such as Fortress, Tai Lin, etc(Ocean Terminal wing I think).

In any case, I didn't see it being any cheaper. iPhones were definately more expensive, and they do have fake ones so watch out. You can buy like premodded Wii's, NDS, and stuff like that. I was hoping to buy some electronics when I was over there, but the prices weren't cheap enough. For instance, I was going to buy an EEE PC over there, but with the converstion rate, it ended up being about $30 - $50 cheaper at Memory Express.

dragonone
05-29-2008, 01:27 PM
there's also wan chai computer centre

fortree and tai lin are ripoffs imo, nicer stores tho

CaptainReboot
05-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by dragonone
there's also wan chai computer centre

fortree and tai lin are ripoffs imo, nicer stores tho

I believe Wan Chai is the one on Hong Kong Island I was thinking of.

Tripz
05-29-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm in Hong Kong right now and most of the electronics I've seen are more expensive in HK than in Canada. I've been to about 4 electronic stores in habour city mall and didn't go to anymore cause I find the prices to be equivalent. I'm sure there was places that sells electronics for cheap, but I just don't know where to look.

Deetz
05-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Tripz
I'm in Hong Kong right now, and most of the electronics I've seen are more expensive in HK than in Canada. don't know

My folks were there a couple of months ago and said the exact same thing.

bighead2267
05-29-2008, 10:09 PM
that's because u guys are in a nice mall

hit up the places suggested above, sham shui po golden, wanchai computer city etc.

a lot of the cheaper high end electronics are in high floors in buildings (ie. 14th floor), there's one on sai yueng choi street in mongkok, actually several

i had a set of 5.1 heco speakers, made in germany that i bought from hk
the IC burned out, called germany, guy didn't even ask me to send the defective one, got a replacement IC in a week

shirshamshir
05-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Wow i really didnt expect it to be more expensive
that sucks
guess not much of a choice on electronics in price
might as well get them here

thanks for all the info, if you can list more cool stores to check out, go for it, would be interesting to see whats there

RX_EVOLV
05-29-2008, 10:24 PM
^^^

what they said. If you go to Fortress etc ( futureshop equivalent) they will be more expensive. But if you go to the upstair places in Mong kok etc they will be quite a bit cheaper.

Euro838
05-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Agree with everyone says here. The only reason you'd buy electronics in HK is because you can't get it here or for phones, they come unlocked and there's a much wider selection.

Obviously the warranty you could possibly be losing and if your item needs to be plugged in, you'll need a different plug or adapter.

It's ironic how the places in HK are so small yet the wall plugs are so big!!!

Chances are the only electronics you'll find cheap are the China brands. If you are looking for stuff like the R4 cards, go into China, it's cheaper there.

CaptainReboot
05-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by shirshamshir
Wow i really didnt expect it to be more expensive
that sucks
guess not much of a choice on electronics in price
might as well get them here

thanks for all the info, if you can list more cool stores to check out, go for it, would be interesting to see whats there

This isn't electronics, but outside of Harbour City Mall, I think on Canton road across from Kownloon Park , there's a hole in the wall restaurant that had some of the best noodles I've ever had.

You just walk down an alley and then you'll see a bunch of tables set up.

The only thing cheap is clothing, and that only includes Asian Brands, like G2000, Giordano, Bossini, etc. G2000 is good for dress pants and dress shirts. American/European brands are the same or cheaper here. It's just that they carry stuff we'll never get, so you'll have to see if it's worth it. The good thing is that they have sizes. I was able to find Puma golf shirts and pants in my size. Here, they're all XXL or size 36 waists. You should check out Uniqlo, it's a Japanese clothing store. They had some pretty cool t-shirts.

dragonone
05-30-2008, 11:46 AM
that's actually a very cheap store with excellent designs
it's on the top floor of miramax sqaure, if you go up nathan road it's on your left