PDA

View Full Version : Help: my yard is being over run with ants.

spikerS
05-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Seriously, this is driving me crazy.

My yard has a serious infestation of ants, both in the front and in the back yard. for the past 2 summers I have been trying to get rid of them, but each year they seem to come back in greater numbers. obviously the bait cans and the liquid crap is not working. Anyone have any home brew ideas or know of a great commercial product? Please keep in mind that we have 2 huskies so what ever it is can't hurt them if the get at it.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Tik-Tok
05-28-2008, 09:18 PM
I have the same problem, they started 2 years ago, and I've been using the white powder, I haven't seen any yet this year, so I'm guessing it's working.

Just make sure there's no rain in the forecast for a few days before you apply it. I have a husky too, but I keep him indoors, and in his dog run for the days I leave it on the ground.

barmanjay
05-28-2008, 09:41 PM
try borax

stevo 27
05-28-2008, 10:51 PM
gasoline hahaha :rofl:

but on a serious note try some industiel posion from poulins

you gots a mask on when you spray it that shit makes you loopy as fuck

Benny
05-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Do this (http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1845064&page=1all)

Except swap bees with ants... :thumbsup:

Cooked Rice
05-29-2008, 12:53 AM
Maybe get an exterminator to set up a solution. Cause it can be a PITA when you waste money on a bunch of crap and it ends up not working. I got ant issues too. Sucks when I work on my car, and the ants start coming into the garage.

szw
05-29-2008, 01:07 AM
stop keeping such a delicious lawn.

GTS Jeff
05-29-2008, 01:22 AM
Agent Orange man...that shit works.

old&slow
05-29-2008, 04:55 AM
Rodenator!

Eleanor
05-29-2008, 06:32 AM
DDT, just make sure you get Kritafo's yard too, she's got the same problem.

Kritafo
05-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
DDT, just make sure you get Kritafo's yard too, she's got the same problem.

I do...but don't be a jerk. I don't think threatening to potentially harm my family is funny

Kritafo
05-29-2008, 07:25 AM
it depends on what kind of ants you have. Sprinkle powdered red chili pepper/pepper.

Boiling water and pouring over the ant hill, mint around your garden.

Citrus on ant hills, these are all natural methods.

If you want to see something really cool order praying mantis egg cases online and hatch some..we have done this 3 years in a row, but this years hasn't hatched yet and we are having an ant problem. They are very cool. We also buy ladybugs to control the aphids which leave behind a sweet dew the ants come to eat.

The_Rural_Juror
05-29-2008, 07:29 AM

Euro_Trash
05-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Agent Orange man...that shit works.

Wouldn't that just kill the grass :dunno: :D

lint
05-29-2008, 08:23 AM
go to Poulin's Pest Control
http://www.poulins.ca/
1804 34 Street SE, Calgary, AB T2B 0W4
Toll free: 1-877-533-2500
Phone: 403-272-6006
and pick up the "Wilson Pro Ant & Roach Pyrodust". Sprinkle around the nest area, the ants will carry it into the nest and with a few applications should kill them.

spikerS
05-29-2008, 08:56 AM
thanks for all the tips guys, we really appreciate it. Are the pros expensive for this sort of thing? It might just be easier and more effective just to bring in someone from a pest control company. anyone able to recomend someone?

rmk
05-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Soapy water will do the trick.

lint
05-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by spikers
thanks for all the tips guys, we really appreciate it. Are the pros expensive for this sort of thing? It might just be easier and more effective just to bring in someone from a pest control company. anyone able to recomend someone?

Poulin's sells the stuff that the post control companies use. We had a wasp nest under some stairs in our backyard, and the regular raid garbage didn't do shit. When I called a few pest control places, they quoted in the $200 range to come and get rid of them. And their process was come, apply powder, wait, come back and reapply if not dead. When I asked them what they use, they BS'd about how it's commercial grade and regular consumers can't buy it. Poulin's sells it for $13.

Eleanor
05-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo

I do...but don't be a jerk. I don't think threatening to potentially harm my family is funny

How in any way was that a threat?

kertejud2
05-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash

Wouldn't that just kill the grass :dunno: :D

It would also create pretty freaky looking ant offspring.

black_2.5RS
05-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Do you know where they are coming from? We had the same thing and traced them to some big cement sidewalk slabs in our backyard. My dad promptly bought 3 butane torches from Canadian Tire and handed them to me and my 2 brothers (we were between 8 and 16yrs old). My dad lifted the blocks and turned the soil, we torched whatever was coming out to defend the colony. Saw thousands of egg sacks, a fat ass ant queen and some mutant ants with wings. Best summer ever! Never had ant problems after that.

Cooked Rice
05-30-2008, 12:07 AM
Before I moved to Calgary. We used powder along with some sugar. The sugar attracted the ants to the powder. Worked good. But required frequent applications.

GTS Jeff
05-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo

I do...but don't be a jerk. I don't think threatening to potentially harm my family is funny Wow. I could potentially come rape your babies. How about that?