PDA

View Full Version : Lug stuck in socket

Doozer
05-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Alright, first off I'll admit that this wasn't one of my brighter moments. But awhile back when I was putting on the summer tires, I wasn't paying attention and forgot to switch the socket when I switched to different lugs. I ended up getting a lug nut wedged pretty good into my 13/16 socket. If you can't tell, the lug is twisted inside the socket so that the corners of the lug are wedged against the flat insides of the socket.

http://www.doozersden.com/may2008/stuck_lug2.jpg

Now, I don't care about the lug ... I had spares which I used for that wheel, but I would kinda like to get the socket back. It's a deep socket which I find pretty handy.

I tried spraying a bunch of WD-40 in it, let it sit over night, then tried gripping the lug with some pliers and twisting it, but I couldn't get near enough pressure on it. However, I successfully mashed the threads with this technique. And no, I'm definitely not putting this back on one of the tires to try getting more leverage.

Any thoughts on how to separate these new best friends?

Cooked Rice
05-28-2008, 10:55 PM
stick something in from the other end like a pin punch. put the socket in vice grips if you got them, and hammer on the pin punch.

eglove
05-28-2008, 10:55 PM
everytime that's happened to me i've always just hucked it real hard against pavement. lug has always just popped out after that.

or stick something through it, and hammer it out

edit: lol. same thing as post above.

Supa Dexta
05-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Does the hole pass all the way thru? in the socket I mean, from where the ratchet attaches to where the nut is? If so get a good flat head or punch, position it in a vice so that you can punch down thru it, with the walls of the socket on the vice edges.

Primer_Drift
05-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Judging by your girly hands you are not putting enough effort into it...

jk.
Just put it in a vice, clamping lightly on the lugnut (not the socket)and use a hammer and a punch or screwdriver to force it out.

BiG_BoI_LuDe
05-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Put the socket on the ground and hammer the socket. yes I said the socket and not the lug. I work at a shop and do this often. the lug will fly out so don't lose it. the socket won't break cause the lug is inside.

rice_balls
05-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
stick something in from the other end like a pin punch. put the socket in vice grips if you got them, and hammer on the pin punch.

^^ yup just punch it out from the other end...
or if you have a short punch stick it in the wrench side of the socket and give the end with the punch a good smack on the concrete or something hard

SkittleFreak
05-28-2008, 11:29 PM
stick it back on the tire if possible, retighten it till it pops back off and use the right socket

use something to force it out, and if possible get like a heat torch and heat up the socket a bit to expand it and then try to knock the lug out

rice_balls
05-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by SkittleFreak
stick it back on the tire if possible, retighten it till it pops back off and use the right socket

Originally posted by Doozer
However, I successfully mashed the threads with this technique.

SkittleFreak
05-28-2008, 11:36 PM
:dunno:

I stopped reading about the problem just after the first picture

Perhaps more advice for other people? It usually worked for me

jhmed
05-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Throw it against the ground really hard 5 times... always works for me.

GTS Jeff
05-29-2008, 01:21 AM
Take a dump on it. Humiliation always works.

nismodrifter
05-29-2008, 01:30 AM
^^:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ukyo8
05-29-2008, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by jhmed
Throw it against the ground really hard 5 times... always works for me.

what happends if he hits it 6 times??

Eleanor
05-29-2008, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Ukyo8

what happends if he hits it 6 times??

DO NOT HIT IT SIX TIMES, I've only just returned from the planet Zarvox after travelling through the wormhole.

em2ab
05-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Try using physics. Freeze the combination, then run the outside under hot water to let it expand and free itself from the colder lug inside. Or just use a hack saw to cut it out.

laurier
05-29-2008, 07:45 AM
^^^^

lol i hope that way a joke

putting it in a vice and using a punch is the best way, you will have it out within seconds

Doozer
05-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
stick something in from the other end like a pin punch. put the socket in vice grips if you got them, and hammer on the pin punch. Duh. I can't believe I didn't think to try this. The problem is still the same as with the twisting though - I don't have anything to anchor the socket (like a securely-mounted vice) to enable me to really hammer on the punch. And the next suggestion sounds a lot more fun.

Originally posted by eglove
everytime that's happened to me i've always just hucked it real hard against pavement. lug has always just popped out after that. I cannot believe this shit worked. On the first throw, the lug popped out and nearly took my eye out. That was awesome.

Originally posted by jhmed
Throw it against the ground really hard 5 times... always works for me. Well since it worked on the first throw, I'm going to skip the next 4 and take my chances.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Take a dump on it. Humiliation always works. I think I'm going to do that to the lug anyway. I had a big bran breakfast, and this lug has to learn a lesson.

eglove
05-29-2008, 11:36 AM

I cannot believe this shit worked. On the first throw, the lug popped out and nearly took my eye out. That was awesome.

lol!

i think when i was at your place last time one of your lugs (or nuts from the suspension) got stuck in the socket and i just walked down your driveway to the road and hucked it.

gretz
05-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Another way is to tighten the shit out of a nut so it strips itself back

Doozer
05-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by eglove
i think when i was at your place last time one of your lugs (or nuts from the suspension) got stuck in the socket and i just walked down your driveway to the road and hucked it. Now that you mention it, it sounds familiar ... of course, I had other car problems on my mind at the time and might not have been paying that much attention!

Originally posted by gretz
Another way is to tighten the shit out of a nut so it strips itself back

However, I successfully mashed the threads with this technique. And no, I'm definitely not putting this back on one of the tires to try getting more leverage.