PDA

View Full Version : Someone didn't have their coffee this morning

whiskas
05-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Was walking on a pedestrian overpass over crowchild this morning during morning rush hour and heard the wonderful squeeling sound of tires locking up. I looked below me just in time to see a car smack right into the back of a car that had stopped in traffic. Little plastic bits and magic white smoke flew everwhere, it was bitchin.

Can anyone identify the cars? The one that came from behind looks like a toyota, I thought all cars these days came with ABS?

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2604/picture002ro5.jpg

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2577/picture001py7.jpg

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/7753/picture003au1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

rc2002
05-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Front car looks like a civic. Rear car looks like an echo.

edit:

Front car could be an EL?

cyrusli
05-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Toyota Echo in the back and a Civic in front =)

Just because it has ABS doesn't mean it will save you from accidents (rear ending). ABS simply lets you steer away if your wheels lock up.. however, I know a large percentage of people that own cars equipped wiht ABS, but the drivers don't know how to effectively use it. And in the case of the Toyota, i think it's still an option to get ABS..

it's a split second reaction really even if ABS.. yuo don't magically change lanes, it will need distance to turn away.

Machi
05-29-2008, 10:56 AM
so were you a witness or just a passerby? lol

Oldskool
05-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Is this the ped overpass at dalhousie station?

That merge lain is HORRIBLE!!!, Im guessing that civic stopped to try to merge...because you need to stop and wait for someone to let you in in a merge lane right...??? and the toyota probably wasnt paying close enough attention, bad on both of em,

GQBalla
05-29-2008, 11:00 AM
what time was this?

i say the front car looks like a civic

lol can y ou say owned though
AHHAHA

Destinova403
05-29-2008, 11:03 AM
i thought the one in the back looked a little bit like a camry... meh either way.

as a witness did you go down and leave a statement, or talk to the police if an officer came? it doesnt look like those cars could drive away, especially if there was white smoke.

bobby_lu
05-29-2008, 11:03 AM
The rear-ender is 2000+ Echo, wouldnt necessarily have ABS (optional I think)

01RedDX
05-29-2008, 11:06 AM

rmk
05-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Wow, great driving there. Nice road conditions, perfect weather. :rolleyes:

schocker
05-29-2008, 11:25 AM
front is a civic, the black mirrors give it away.
Looks like some great driving skills as people dont pay attention, nor do they move their cars off the road when they do get in an accident.:banghead:

Super_Geo
05-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Even though it's technically the Echo's fault for hitting someone from behind, I'd personally put the fault at the car in front (assuming it was stopped trying to merge).

Look at all the space in front of him! People in this city don't know how to merge. Use the lane you're in to get up to speed and then merge!

whiskas
05-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Yah it's the dalhousie station overpass, happened around 8am. That merge lane is bad, but it's not the kind that ends after a while, some people are just impatient and think they have to merge the instant they get out of the overpass exit.

People who come to a full stop on crowchild or any other major road deserve to be shot.

I didn't bother going down and giving a statement, I'm a busy man :bigpimp: But there were a few cars that pulled over shortly after that witnessed it.

black13
05-29-2008, 11:50 AM
So this is the incident that was making crowchild a mess this morning. I saw some police lights from far away and went to john Laurie and back down to crowchild down the line.

And there is a ton of space to merge there so if that driver had stopped in the middle of the fucking high way to merge then he should definitely be at fault.
Fuck I hate when people do that, just the other day I saw a cab driver in the 3 lane on glenmore do that. Stopped completely and tries to merge. Fucking people.

spikerS
05-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
ABS does not reduce stopping distance, it's more for steering control during a skid.

actually many tests have proven that ABS does stop you faster.

Aleks
05-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Guy looks like he's going over to kick some ass haha.

silviafreek89
05-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Haha nice pics...

Did anyone see the RHD 300 on the side of MacCloud yesterday round 6ish???

The rear left wheel completely flew off and rolled a bit...quite humerous!

avow
05-29-2008, 04:59 PM
god that accident slowed me down so much getting to work this morning. what a nightmare :S.

arian_ma
05-29-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure if you're referring to the ABS in the sense that you say you heard squealing, but guessing that the car still had its winters on and that would definitely squeal under hard braking due to the fact that winter tires are softer.

Eleanor
05-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by spikers

actually many tests have proven that ABS does stop you faster.

Links?

shirshamshir
05-29-2008, 10:32 PM
there was an episode of mean machines comparing the european volvo police car with the crown vic

volvo had abs and crown vic didnt, they did a test, going at X amount of speed, and hitting the breaks and seeing distance difference

crown vic hit brakes, but slid very far
where the volvo hit brakes but stops nice and clean, and very shorter distance comparing crown vic

tried finding vid but no luck
so im guessing ABS does stop you better (maybe faster)

Eleanor
05-29-2008, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by shirshamshir
there was an episode of mean machines comparing the european volvo police car with the crown vic

volvo had abs and crown vic didnt, they did a test, going at X amount of speed, and hitting the breaks and seeing distance difference

crown vic hit brakes, but slid very far
where the volvo hit brakes but stops nice and clean, and very shorter distance comparing crown vic

tried finding vid but no luck
so im guessing ABS does stop you better (maybe faster)

What a BS test, you can't have two different cars running :banghead:

01RedDX
05-29-2008, 10:35 PM

shirshamshir
05-29-2008, 10:36 PM
i donno, i guess that was their way of proving it? lol

DayGlow
05-30-2008, 09:25 AM
ABS will stop a car faster when all you do is mash the pedal down, such as an emergency situation. Since the ABS will lock up the wheels and avoid a skid (rolling friction vs stationary friction, something like that) A car skidding to a stop with the brakes locked up will slide father.

Now if you threshold brake, both in an ABS or non ABS vehicle then you can stop faster as you are getting 100% of braking force being produced. But ths requires a lot of practice to do in an emegency situation.

Senseiz
06-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
ABS will stop a car faster when all you do is mash the pedal down, such as an emergency situation. Since the ABS will lock up the wheels and avoid a skid (rolling friction vs stationary friction, something like that) A car skidding to a stop with the brakes locked up will slide father.

Now if you threshold brake, both in an ABS or non ABS vehicle then you can stop faster as you are getting 100% of braking force being produced. But ths requires a lot of practice to do in an emegency situation.

zing.

Static Friction vs Dynamic Friction.

For a vehicle with ABS, you just slam on it.
With nonABS, threshold is the key. It takes practise to get used to both of them. At 60km/hr on a gravel road, and with threshold braking, it can be a 10feet difference.

weeznah
06-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by silviafreek89
Haha nice pics...

Did anyone see the RHD 300 on the side of MacCloud yesterday round 6ish???

The rear left wheel completely flew off and rolled a bit...quite humerous!

hahaha completely off topic but thats awesome.

bituerbo
06-10-2008, 02:34 AM

in other news, oranges are more orangey than apples

I LoL'd

alloroc
06-10-2008, 09:24 AM

in other news, oranges are more orangey than apples

Ya but does a rolling orange stop faster than a rolling apple?

Oh damn forget it, now I'm hungry.