PDA

View Full Version : Luc Bourdon dies

anarchy
05-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Holy crap!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=239196&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

What a tragedy. He was so young and such a promising prospect for the 'nucks.

RIP and condolences to his family.

Kloubek
05-29-2008, 01:48 PM
That sucks for both the family and the team. And of course, for Luc. He was indeed a promising prospect.

RIP.

max_boost
05-29-2008, 01:49 PM
^^^

:werd:

RIP

SilverGS
05-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Crappy

RIP

2002civic
05-29-2008, 01:53 PM
RIP Way too young...

JRSC00LUDE
05-29-2008, 02:23 PM
As tragic as it is, there's always some solace to be found in going out in your prime imo. At least the kid had life by the reins and went out while fulfilling his life's dreams.

I'd rather life end in a flash than be debilitated by old age, disease and suffering.

anarchy
05-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
As tragic as it is, there's always some solace to be found in going out in your prime imo. At least the kid had life by the reins and went out while fulfilling his life's dreams.

I'd rather life end in a flash than be debilitated by old age, disease and suffering.

Yeah I agree that I'd rather die quickly and not suffer than by illness. But not at such a young age. And it's not like he was an avid motorcyclist. According to the article, he just purchased his bike two days ago.

Kids with too much money on their hands, it can result in tragic circumstances. We're seeing a lot of that lately (see: Dany Heatley).

Of course Heatley's circumstance was negligence, we have no idea if this was just a tragic incident or if he was careless and speeding etc.

Chester
05-29-2008, 02:44 PM
RIP

JRSC00LUDE
05-29-2008, 02:44 PM
^

By "life's dreams" I mean he cracked the big leagues, was well on his way up and was realizing the fruits of all his efforts. I wouldn't want to go that young either but if you're going to go, quickly and suddenly with no foresight is the best way it could happen I think. :)

Jlude
05-29-2008, 02:48 PM
RIP

He grew up not far from where I did.

bobby_lu
05-29-2008, 03:18 PM
WHAT....terrible news....

so much sad news this week

anarchy
05-29-2008, 03:33 PM
^

By "life's dreams" I mean he cracked the big leagues, was well on his way up and was realizing the fruits of all his efforts. I wouldn't want to go that young either but if you're going to go, quickly and suddenly with no foresight is the best way it could happen I think. :)

Ah couldn't agree more.

Undoubtedly this will fuel more talk about provisions in contracts that prevent players from doing high-risk activities.

HybridTheory
05-29-2008, 03:43 PM

I agree with you. Some people think I'm weird for saying that I don't want to live to be that old. But I'd rather die a bit younger than slowly watch myself degenerate and die at an old age.

RIP :(

GenerationX
05-29-2008, 03:46 PM
I don't know what's with young athletes these days, knowing that they have a set career they should be more aware of things and more careful. This reminds me of when Chicago Bulls guard Jay Williams got into a bike accident after his rookie year, but luckily he survived it. He was also a promising guard in the NBA, but sadly his career ended with the accident.
Nonetheless RIP to Luc.

JRSC00LUDE
05-29-2008, 03:55 PM
^

Well that's just it, accidents are accidents. You don't stop living your life because you get a promotion at work or a better paying job do you? Why should they be any different? Shit happens and it sucks but that's they way it is. Besides, we don't even know if it had anything to do with being "careful". He could have been wearing a helmet, driving the speed limit and hit a moose ffs.

anarchy
05-29-2008, 04:04 PM
^

Well that's just it, accidents are accidents. You don't stop living your life because you get a promotion at work or a better paying job do you? Why should they be any different? Shit happens and it sucks but that's they way it is. Besides, we don't even know if it had anything to do with being "careful". He could have been wearing a helmet, driving the speed limit and hit a moose ffs.

Yeah I agree, you can't stop living your life, and accidents happen.
Like players should absolutely continue to enjoy life (even moreso now that they have the money and time to do it), but it's the stupid decision making that blows me away.

Ie. Millionaire athletes that get in trouble with the law (see Michael Vick, Rae Carruthers). You're worth a few million bucks, maybe you can find something better to do than buy a place to hold dog fights or kill your pregnant girlfirend because you don't want the responsibility.

Gondi Stylez
05-29-2008, 05:02 PM
RIP Luc... you will be missed :(

Supa Dexta
05-29-2008, 06:03 PM
You can buy an old sport bike for 1000 bux and do the same thing. This isn't about someone with a lot of money and his super fast toys, it's about poor decisions, and lack of experience.. Sad, yes.. But it happens far too often..

jay42w8
05-29-2008, 07:23 PM
RIP.

Fusion
05-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by GenerationX
I don't know what's with young athletes these days, knowing that they have a set career they should be more aware of things and more careful. This reminds me of when Chicago Bulls guard Jay Williams got into a bike accident after his rookie year, but luckily he survived it. He was also a promising guard in the NBA, but sadly his career ended with the accident.
Nonetheless RIP to Luc.

Its time for you to go no matter how careful u are. Recently one guy got kill by helicopter while he walk on the street ( There Example For you)

Maddog55
05-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
You can buy an old sport bike for 1000 bux and do the same thing. This isn't about someone with a lot of money and his super fast toys, it's about poor decisions, and lack of experience.. Sad, yes.. But it happens far too often..

Not sure if we should jump to the conclusion that it was "poor decisions, and lack of experience.." The only details I've read so far is a "head on collision with a truck.." Maybe the trucker was reaching for his dropped cigarette and crossed the center line into Luc's path...

or were you referring to "poor decisions" on EITHER party?

To me it's just another fatal traffic accident that happens every day...but because this time it was a sports celebrity, it seems more poignant. If the news report was "Manitoba resident dies in motorcycle accident" No one would bring up any of the above points.

mikestypes
05-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Maddog55

Not sure if we should jump to the conclusion that it was "poor decisions, and lack of experience.." The only details I've read so far is a "head on collision with a truck.." Maybe the trucker was reaching for his dropped cigarette and crossed the center line into Luc's path...

or were you referring to "poor decisions" on EITHER party?

To me it's just another fatal traffic accident that happens every day...but because this time it was a sports celebrity, it seems more poignant. If the news report was "Manitoba resident dies in motorcycle accident" No one would bring up any of the above points.

Luc was the one that crossed the center line and hit the semi.

I am willing to bet he didn't take a motorcycle course and likely had no idea of how to ride a bike at speed (countersteer and gyroscopic progression).

Lucky97
05-30-2008, 01:46 PM
such a young guy. R.I.P

Maddog55
05-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by mikestypes

Luc was the one that crossed the center line and hit the semi.

I am willing to bet he didn't take a motorcycle course and likely had no idea of how to ride a bike at speed (countersteer and gyroscopic progression).

Ahh....ok. I just read that detailed report. Sad. yup, inexperience cost him his life.

dezmarez
05-30-2008, 04:52 PM
RIP
always sad when young people die

silviafreek89
06-02-2008, 12:16 PM
"Bourdon died near Shippagan in northeastern New Brunswick last Thursday after he crossed the centre median on his motorcycle, a Suzuki GSX-R1000, and collided with a tractor-trailer.

Police said he may have lost control as he rounded a curve in the road because of high winds in the area, but RCMP Insp. Roch Fortin said investigators will also be looking at the rider's inexperience as a factor in the crash. Bourdon was granted his motorcycle licence just two weeks before the collision, he said."

-Taken from msn.com....RIP...
No matter what the cause, it's always sad to see a young kid on the rise have that happen.

Ajay
06-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Damn. I knew he bought a bike and was inexperienced by at GSX-R1000 as his first bike?!??!

Sad none the less cause he was so young but it was definitely inexperience.

rmk
06-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Apparently a fan of the Canucks who was given the last jersey he wore with his autograph, shipped it to Lucs mother. That is class.

RIP

Maddog55
06-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by rmk
Apparently a fan of the Canucks who was given the last jersey he wore with his autograph, shipped it to Lucs mother. That is class.

RIP

Yeah wasn't that somethin?!!!! I say the Canucks organization should give that guy season's tickets for that. What a class act....he could've been a real ass and auctioned it off like some heartless soul.

nightfx
06-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
Damn. I knew he bought a bike and was inexperienced by at GSX-R1000 as his first bike?!??!

Sad none the less cause he was so young but it was definitely inexperience.
heh, pretty much a death wish for an inexperienced rider :(

RIP

BerserkerCatSplat
06-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I wonder if this will prompt sports teams to ban players from riding motorcycles, like they do with actors when filming.

hadookin
06-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
I wonder if this will prompt sports teams to ban players from riding motorcycles, like they do with actors when filming.

or ban them from riding nearly 200hp machines as a way to learn... nonetheless shitty deal for his family.

RIP