PDA

View Full Version : pick-up/suv rental for under 25 in calgary?

cityhunter2501
05-29-2008, 01:47 PM
I need to rent a full size SUV or a pickup for a business trip by myself, but apparently because I'm under 25 I'm not legally allowed to rent a full size SUV or pickup.

is there any place in Calgary where this rule doesn't apply?

ExtraSlow
05-29-2008, 06:17 PM
I think budget will waive that rule in some cases. However, unless you really need a big SUV, you can probably rent something like an escape or a small SUV without being 25.

And if it's truly for business, and you have some proof of that, talk to the manager. Rental companies make an assload of money off business rentals, so they will probably not mind helping you.

In the end, you are going to have to call around.

Stealth22
05-29-2008, 09:50 PM
If it's for a business trip, you can try asking your employer to help you rent the car, or just rent it for you...

avishal26
05-29-2008, 10:01 PM
I rented from u-haul when I was 19 (you don't need to be even 21 for their pickup rental), but they charge by kms. :dunno:

cityhunter2501
05-30-2008, 06:00 AM
thanks guys...ill call some renters again and tell them its for a business trip or ask my company to rent one for me

uhaul wouldn't work for me as I have to drive to Carstairs and Sundre

em2ab
05-30-2008, 06:44 AM
I think it's 21, not 25.

trieuth
05-30-2008, 07:12 AM
which company?

if you are under 25, and your company rents the vehicle. you wont be able to drive. the rental car company won't authorize you as an additional driver, so if you get in an accident or pulled over you are fucked.

nissanK
05-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Enterprise will rent to under 25. I rented a car for 3 weeks no problems. I'm 22 right now. Give it a shot.:thumbsup:

Stealth22
05-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by trieuth
which company?

if you are under 25, and your company rents the vehicle. you wont be able to drive. the rental car company won't authorize you as an additional driver, so if you get in an accident or pulled over you are fucked.

That's a good point. I thought maybe if a business is renting the vehicle, they'd be a bit more lax. I know from personal experience that they won't bend any rules if you try and rent the car yourself. My dad was renting a car and tried to get me authorized as a secondary driver (I'm almost 21, completely clear driving record, not a single ticket or accident), and I paid $20 for a freaking abstract to show them, and they still said "Nope, 21+ only"

Some companies won't rent to people under 25, but most (if not all) rental agencies allow drivers who are 21-24 years old. They'll charge extra, but they'll allow it. If the OP's company rents the car for him, they might have some pull.

Enterprise will rent to under 25. I rented a car for 3 weeks no problems. I'm 22 right now. Give it a shot.

Most companies have no problems renting to under 25 (as long as you're 21+, although they'll charge extra if the renter is under 25), but thanks to the jagoffs who over the years have thought they could drive when they couldn't, all young drivers (by young I mean under 25) have this label stuck to our foreheads that says we are all idiotic, reckless drivers with no regard for...ah you get the point.

My point is, and I haven't checked Enterprise on this, but a few rental companies will have extra fine print that says something along the lines of "There are additional restrictions for young drivers on larger or specialty vehicles", so quite often, a renter (or perhaps even an additional driver) under 25 can't touch a larger SUV with a 10-foot pole!

@cityhunter2501: What sort of SUV do you need? With that restriction I just mentioned, you might be limited on what you can rent. On your own, you can probably get a smaller SUV like a RAV4 or an Escape. If you need something bigger though, like at least an Explorer, you'll have to call around, or get your company to rent the car and get you on as an additional driver.

spikerS
05-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by nissanK
Enterprise will rent to under 25. I rented a car for 3 weeks no problems. I'm 22 right now. Give it a shot.:thumbsup:

+1 I have always rented through enterprise. even before I was 21. they seem to have the most lax rules regarding this. now that I am over 25, it isn't an issue for me anymore.

cityhunter2501
05-30-2008, 09:33 AM
I rented a pontiac G6 wednesday for a business trip to Lethbridge..the guy at Alamo gave me a 300 AWD and when I returned the vehicle yesterday the lady told me the guy will be in trouble for letting me drive a premium vehicle being under 25

Been trying to book a vehicle from Enterprise the past couple of days but their website is really slow, but I'll give them a shout later today.

company is Bonavista Energy

Stealth22
05-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Let me get this straight: You rented a G6 and the guy gave you a Chrysler 300? No wonder he's going to be in deep shit :rofl:

But yeah thats the rule about no large/specialty/premium cars to under-25 renters

How big of an SUV do you need? I don't think they'll give you like a Suburban or an Expedition being under 25 but you can probably get a smaller one like an Escape...

EDIT: Straight off of the Enterprise website...if you want an SUV/Truck, get the company to rent for you and add yourself as an additional driver.

Question
I am under 25 years old, am I still able to rent with Enterprise?

Answer

Most Enterprise office do allow renters to be under the age of 25. All drivers must be at least 21 years of age however.
Renters that are between 21 and 24 years of age maybe restricted to renting only economy through full size cars and may have
to pay an under age 25 fee.

USED1
05-30-2008, 11:37 AM
A lot of times they waive the rule if you are not using their insurance and have your own coverage. I am assuming that your company requires you to waive their insurance so this should not be as much of an issue.

97'Scort
05-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Also, if you're a member of ASET, APEGGA or a trade union, most of them have discount codes that will waive the under 25 fee, or at least make it about even. Enterprise waived mine, plus gave me 10% off with my ASET card.