PDA

View Full Version : Job offer - being considerate

TheOneAndOnly
05-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Story goes as follows:

I've been on the job hunt for the past 2months or so. I did not get one fish to bite. Now in the past 2weeks I have had 4 interviews, and 3 offers, and 1 pending second interview. But I have already accepted the only local offer I was given.

How do I go about informing everyone(without screwing up future consideration with them) that I have accepted an offer else where, and that their time was really important to me, and that I"m sorry but I have to disregard the rest of the employement steps.

any help would be nice.

thanks

CCM Pro
05-29-2008, 02:24 PM
You pretty much just said it right yourself...

TheOneAndOnly
05-29-2008, 02:31 PM
I know man, I just want to be as courteous as I can be.

I feel horrible. And wish I had'nt accepted this one with such haste now. shiet.

anarchy
05-29-2008, 02:34 PM
I think in this day and age and the job market we're in, there should be no surprise when a candidate declines the offer. There are a number of reasons why an offer is declined and I'm sure they have faced the situation a number of times.

I think as long as you are courteous and show that you appreciate the offer but you politely decline, then you'll be fine. It's not like they'll put you on a blacklist or something because of it.

Super_Geo
05-29-2008, 02:37 PM
"Thanks for the shit offer, I'm not even going to bother quantifying why I'm not going to..."

TheOneAndOnly
05-29-2008, 02:49 PM
true anarchy, thanks for the advice.

I'll just say, I accepted an offer already, and i'm sorry, I hope that we can try again in the future?

Neil4Speed
05-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Dear Michael Scott,

I appreciated the time we have spent together and the opportunity I had to learn about your company’s goals and objectives. It is always rewarding to learn of new and creative ways to approach challenges in the workforce. I wanted you to know that I have chosen to pursue another path and will be removing my name from consideration for this position.

I have accepted a position at another company that I simply could not refuse. Please know that it was a difficult choice, as I found your company to be a progressive and expansive firm. I would have enjoyed the opportunity to working with your talented staff.

I want to wish you well in your continued search for the right person to fill the position. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Doozer
05-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by TheOneAndOnly

I'll just say, I accepted an offer already, and i'm sorry, I hope that we can try again in the future? I wouldn't necessarily say that you hope you can try again in the future. Just doesn't sound right. It sounds like you're trying to keep your hands in too many cookie jars. I've had many potential hires accept other jobs midway through the interview process and I don't think twice about it; it's a part of life.

In this case, less is more. Just be polite, thank them for the opportunity, but let them know you've taken a local offer. That's it. You could end the letter/email with something about "appreciate your time", and that will be plenty positive.

(I understand the whole "being grateful to suddenly get all these offers when the pond seemed empty", because I've been there, but honestly - a quick, polite, professional note is all that's necessary or expected)

TheOneAndOnly
05-29-2008, 03:49 PM
thanks neil4speed i also came arcross that before.

I must agree with doozer in this case then, I will just shoot them an email stating the situation graciously, and thanking them for their time.

Supa Dexta
05-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Quick and simple, say you appreciate their offer and the time they gave you, but you accepted an offer which you feel is best for you at this time..

Whiley
05-29-2008, 10:12 PM
yup, short & sweet
if it was them, you'd probably not even get that much, based on how most HR people/employers behave these days :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Quick and simple, say you appreciate their offer and the time they gave you, but you accepted an offer which you feel is best for you at this time..

jmc
05-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Go with that idea.

TaiChino
05-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by TheOneAndOnly

I'll just say, I accepted an offer already, and i'm sorry, I hope that we can try again in the future?

Maybe not in so many words, sounding as though you intend on leaving your next job. Thus making them think you are a job hopper?

Crymson
05-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Congrats!

Hakkola
05-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by TaiChino

Maybe not in so many words, sounding as though you intend on leaving your next job. Thus making them think you are a job hopper?

No doubt, if he's going to mention that, might as well tell them to go fuck themselves, because he won't be getting work there after that anyway.

ianmcc
05-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Dear Michael Scott,

I appreciated the time we have spent together and the opportunity I had to learn about your company’s goals and objectives. It is always rewarding to learn of new and creative ways to approach challenges in the workforce. I wanted you to know that I have chosen to pursue another path and will be removing my name from consideration for this position.

I have accepted a position at another company that I simply could not refuse. Please know that it was a difficult choice, as I found your company to be a progressive and expansive firm. I would have enjoyed the opportunity to working with your talented staff.

I want to wish you well in your continued search for the right person to fill the position. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Care to write my cover letters for me?
Awesome!