PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Restaurant for Anniversary (Downtown)

Sailz
05-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Its me and my girlfriends anniversary this weekend and I got us tickets to Kanye West for Friday night, as well as the penthouse jacuzzi suite at the Hotel Arts downtown on 12th Ave. I want some place fairly chic and trendy to go for an early dinner before the concert. Any ideas? We dont really like ethnic food(ie:Indian, Moroccan, veitnamese), but we do like japanese but not sure if we want sushi. Just throw out some ideas.

Thanks

HybridTheory
05-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Hmmm if you wanna try some sushi, go to Blowfish on 11th Ave. It's pretty good and it's close to your hotel.

Blowfish Sushi
100-625 11 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2R 0E1
(403) 237-8588

dezinr
05-29-2008, 04:45 PM
The Gypsy Bistro in the old GRain Exchange Building kiddy corner to Palliser Hotel. Really great intimate atmosphere.

adam c
05-29-2008, 04:46 PM
raw bar is good, its located in hotel arts

Lt247
05-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Blowfish is a really fancy sushi place.. ive gone to a couple dates there because it feels so upscale.. the dishes are prepared and presented so magnificently i was afraid to ruin the display.

btw.. you do get a decent size of dish per plate, so dont order to much haha, even tho its a bit $$

but you sound like your going to town.. id recommend it!

pinoyhero
05-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by adam c
raw bar is good, its located in hotel arts

I second this although i didn't find the food that great, St. Germain's though, also in the Hotels Arts, is one of the best in Calgary ... a bit dressy though ...

eb0i
05-29-2008, 08:04 PM
Are you going to have time to take her to dinner before Kanye? Doors open at 6pm and most Sushi places open at 5:dunno:

89coupe
05-29-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Lt247
Blowfish is a really fancy sushi place.. ive gone to a couple dates there because it feels so upscale.. the dishes are prepared and presented so magnificently i was afraid to ruin the display.

btw.. you do get a decent size of dish per plate, so dont order to much haha, even tho its a bit $$

but you sound like your going to town.. id recommend it!

Blowfish is a dive...LOL

89coupe
05-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Sailz
Its me and my girlfriends anniversary this weekend and I got us tickets to Kanye West for Friday night, as well as the penthouse jacuzzi suite at the Hotel Arts downtown on 12th Ave. I want some place fairly chic and trendy to go for an early dinner before the concert. Any ideas? We dont really like ethnic food(ie:Indian, Moroccan, veitnamese), but we do like japanese but not sure if we want sushi. Just throw out some ideas.

Thanks

I would suggest Blink, very modern, very chic and not overly expensive.

http://www.blinkcalgary.com/

...apparently its been voted #9 best restaurant in Canada.:dunno:

turbotrip
05-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Blowfish is a dive...LOL

just cant hold back the douchebag comments huh?...LOL

Lt247
05-29-2008, 10:36 PM
89coupe just thinks he is bawlin :drama:

its a fancy place for sushi.. i forgot you probably wouldn't get any use of your black amex, 89coupe if you went blowfish. hence its a dive

:whocares:

89coupe
05-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

just cant hold back the douchebag comments huh?...LOL

Well he said he's looking for a nice place, not some little hole in the wall with plastic tables and chairs and a fish tank with no fish in it....LOL

max_boost
05-30-2008, 10:34 AM

I would suggest Blink, very modern, very chic and not overly expensive.

http://www.blinkcalgary.com/

...apparently its been voted #9 best restaurant in Canada.:dunno:

Now that place is a dive!

:rofl:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/176962/blink-supper-club/

bigboom
05-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

+1
food is terrible.

89coupe
05-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

Looks like you posted that last year. There is a new Chef and new menu.

I have lunch their quite often and I can assure you the food is excellent.

GQBalla
05-30-2008, 11:11 AM
the infamous expensive lunch for 2 people?

jokin

but i heard blink was good too but just recently...so i dunno

89coupe
05-30-2008, 11:44 AM
You could also try Escoba's.

The food is very nice there as well.

Escoba Cafe & Bar Ltd
www.escoba.ca

624 8 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2P 1G4
(403) 543-8911

max_boost
05-30-2008, 01:47 PM

Looks like you posted that last year. There is a new Chef and new menu.

I have lunch their quite often and I can assure you the food is excellent.

haha alright. I'm just bitter from my last experience. I'll give it a try again.

ercchry
05-30-2008, 01:56 PM

Well he said he's looking for a nice place, not some little hole in the wall with plastic tables and chairs and a fish tank with no fish in it....LOL

was there on the 10th and there was fish in the tanks, they changed up there "special sushi" a bit though, its no longer cooked. ps the butter fish is amazing.

and i really dont know why you dont like it, one of the few places you can get your bill to $500 without booze.

and little holes in the wall are always the best, and blow fish is by far the best sushi i have had in calgary, only place with fresh tasting fish and dont ruin there sushi by putting wasabi in between the fish and the rice :barf:

but the music is kinda loud, have to talk loud to hear people, and last time our waiter talked really quietly. but the time before that we forgot our credit card and the waitress ran about 3 blocks to catch us and give it back, now thats service

GQBalla
05-30-2008, 02:46 PM
when me and the gf went to blowfish the first time and last time most likely it was a hell of a an experience...

so we go in at 1 o clock in the afternoon, waitress says it will be like 30 minutes since the chefs are busy before we can let you order cause they are swamped.

we were fine with that waited for 40 minutes and decided to order.

order is placed, we see the waitress give the chef our order he starts to do stuff so seems like our order is being made.

than he looks at us, yells for the waitress they disappear for 10 minutes and she comes back and says yeahhh umm theres no more rice...(what the fuck kinda sushi restaurant doesn't have enough rice for fucken lunch hour rush?) sooo we were like well can we order anything else?

and shes like well the thing is we are kinda busy right now? (bitchy tone she had) which we took it as basically gtfo...so shes like well we want you to have a good experience and everything so do you want to come back tomorrow for lunch?

at this point i put on we put on our jackets and started walking out and the waitress shouts back hey guys the tea is on me okay?

that was the last we heard cause we had left the restaurant.

like honestly wtf we wasted about an hours worth of time and we were hungry.

that place i will never go.

asp integra
05-30-2008, 06:55 PM
caesars downtown! mmmmmmmmm sooo good!:drool: