PDA

View Full Version : career ideas?

ray8181
05-30-2008, 03:34 AM
so im currently 19 and out of high school for 2 years now didnt wanna go into university or other type of schools after high school untill i knew what i really wanted to do. Currently a waitor and thinking its about that time i better get into a real career lol. any ideas that is good out there?

zarge
05-30-2008, 03:49 AM
Okay, you were told your entire upbringing (i hope) to do what A. makes you happy. Then... B. you can work oilfield, make tons of cash and blow it all because you're home so little you just want to have fun. (Another entrapment of oilfield is the insecurity of males so they gain lots of credit and buy big trucks, quads, boats bikes, seadoos etc.. and wow they can
't quit their jobs. They then marry hot wives who cheat on them while they're at work and try to be happy by popping out a baby they never see because they work so much. Also followed by the wive leaving them, taking the baby and half of their midlifes monetary proceeds. So yeah if you work oilfield be prepared to lose your wife, kid and half of your earnings. Most people don't think big trucks are cool either (for the riggers reading this) C. Get a degree (4 years), be a bum for another 6 at 30-60k a year and make lots later. Now option D. You're just smart and have a hobby and move it into a company, work hard and get rich.

So stop asking people what to do but I will advise against the oilfield since I've done that.

PS its 3:34 am on your post time, don't spend too much at the bars. I do like 2 times a month, so yeah ~$200 a month. Not a big deal.

PPS this was a "hifi" night with lots rye, interesting experience so forgive my spelling and grammar.

ray8181
05-30-2008, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by zarge
Okay, you were told your entire upbringing (i hope) to do what A. makes you happy. Then... B. you can work oilfield, make tons of cash and blow it all because you're home so little you just want to have fun. (Another entrapment of oilfield is the insecurity of males so they gain lots of credit and buy big trucks, quads, boats bikes, seadoos etc.. and wow they can
't quit their jobs. They then marry hot wives who cheat on them while they're at work and try to be happy by popping out a baby they never see because they work so much. Also followed by the wive leaving them, taking the baby and half of their midlifes monetary proceeds. So yeah if you work oilfield be prepared to lose your wife, kid and half of your earnings. Most people don't think big trucks are cool either (for the riggers reading this) C. Get a degree (4 years), be a bum for another 6 at 30-60k a year and make lots later. Now option D. You're just smart and have a hobby and move it into a company, work hard and get rich.

So stop asking people what to do but I will advise against the oilfield since I've done that.

PS its 3:34 am on your post time, don't spend too much at the bars. I do like 2 times a month, so yeah ~$200 a month. Not a big deal.

PPS this was a "hifi" night with lots rye, interesting experience so forgive my spelling and grammar.

well here's the thing nothing really makes me happy lol oil fields im pretty sure i wouldnt be able to pull off, and im not that big of a drinker im not that kind of person that spends on useless shit ie. alcohol, going to the bar, drugs etc.

scortracer
05-30-2008, 08:10 AM
well if you're not into oil fields then become a stripper.

kaput
05-30-2008, 08:18 AM

Penis McNickels
05-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by zarge
Okay, you were told your entire upbringing (i hope) to do what A. makes you happy.

I tried that... unfortunately, masturbating at home on the couch doesn't pay the bills.

Antonito
05-30-2008, 09:01 AM
What do you do with your spare time?

You're on a car forum, I assume you like cars, does a career in that interest you?

rmk
05-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Mall security

gretz
05-30-2008, 09:16 AM
:werd:

picmerollin
05-30-2008, 09:22 AM
if you dont know what you want to do...but are smart enough for university (or dedicated enough- sometimes interchangeable) .

get a degree that is flexible and can be applied to many industries.
- not arts, not science, not medicine....business!!

BCom is a great launch pad for almost any direction- but you have to be good with people and smooth talker (ie a salesman @ heart)

i was in the same boat, and had great grades etc... i went into sciences (straight from HS) and shortly realized that i did not want to wear a white coat for the rest of my life (in a lab or research job) ...so i did some searching and couldnt figure it out so i said fuck it ill go into business and figure it out.

the contacts made, group projects, real world case studies....blah blah blah all the shit it took to finish- all made finding a job hilariously easy and now i have people looking for me to work for them- i am far from a self made millionaire but compared to how i was only 14 months ago (grad 07) i feel like a fucking king.

its a big commitment you know 4 yrs.....but that means 4 spring breaks in cancun, 4 lax summer jobs to pay for said trips, XX number of college cuties to crush (that ones up to you), your parents will be happy that your a student, GF's parents would not think your a douche who just serves tables (even if you still serve as a student...its just a better ring to it as a supplement to studies)....

and best of all being a student is the only acceptable reason for being broke in this part of the world!

thats my .02 - either way you are young so you have plenty of time to figure it out.

zaestar
05-30-2008, 10:26 AM
picmerollin made good points about getting a business degree due to its universal application, but have you considered engineering? Many of the executives running the energy and service companies in Alberta have engineering degrees (mind you, many of them have complemented their engineering undergrad with an MBA). The bottom line is that a professional engineering career can be very rewarding (albeit very challenging at the same time).

The money is pretty good, but getting there is no walk in the park. You must have good grades and be disciplined to get through 4 or 5 years of ass-kicking coursework - you basically eat, sleep, drink, and shit engineering for the entire program. But for what it is worth, strangers will occasionally approach you and ask, "Are you an engineer?" when the spot the iron ring on the little finger of your working hand.

Penis McNickels
05-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by zaestar
But for what it is worth, strangers will occasionally approach you and ask, "Are you an engineer?" when the spot the iron ring on the little finger of your working hand.

I am guessing you are some soon to be engineering grad with delusions of grandeur, because in the real world no one gives a shit why you are wearing some faggy little ring on your pinky finger.

They probably just assume you are some grease ball Italian.

rmk
05-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Penis McNickels

I am guessing you are some soon to be engineering grad with delusions of grandeur, because in the real world no one gives a shit why you are wearing some faggy little ring on your pinky finger.

They probably just assume you are some grease ball Italian.

Ouch...

Penis McNickels
05-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by rmk

Ouch...

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to insult your italian heritage. I am sure you look lovely in your gold chains and obscene amount of body hair.

rmk
05-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Uh, wrong guy there Penis.

alieno1
05-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Penis: go back to DV :poosie:

cressida_pimpin
05-30-2008, 10:29 PM
you could be a dental assistant. 8 months of school and you make 60k a year or more.