PDA

View Full Version : 2000 VW Golf Tdi. Good or Bad????

Hollywood
08-22-2003, 06:34 PM
This is for my friend Dana who is looking at a 2000 golf turbo diesel. He wants to know from other people that VW sites if they are reliable and a good car to own. How is the power for the highway too?

Fluidic
08-22-2003, 06:41 PM
Tell your bud to go and test drive a TDI... they are quite nice... and for $450CDN (w. NewVeeDub membership discount) he can make more torque then any normal Honda will ever know.

Power... is ok... but with a chip... it rocks. The torque is fantastic. When Bart (Beyond member: Suffeks) gets back from Poland... PM him... he can take you and your buddy out for a totally kick-ass drive.

Fuel mileage is great too... I think between 1000 and 1600KM per tank. Should last around 500,000 to 800,000KM if properly maintained. :thumbsup:

Peter

hjr
08-22-2003, 07:04 PM
from what i hear the engine is pretty bulletproof. VW has been doing passenger diesels for a while now.

Ben
08-22-2003, 07:44 PM
That is a pretty failsafe car man, and the Highway power is plenty fine, I went down to Lethbridge in our TDI with my mom and Dad, and it would get up to 140 to pas people NO PROB! had it up to 170 no problem either. Not alot of HP, but the torque really shines!

Hollywood
08-22-2003, 08:50 PM
Hey, this is Dana using Adrian's account. Thanks for your replies. Does anyone know of any common problems or repairs needed once they get up around the 200k mark? I'm looking at a 2000 right now but it's got 175k on it and I want to know how much I'm going to have to put into it in the near future.

Maxt
08-22-2003, 09:01 PM
You will probably have to replace the Sven Vath Cd that was most likely worn out and skipping like crazy at the 100k mark...
You have to a special haircut to own one of those cars.... Don't mind me, I'm just stereotyping again..:)...

Khyron
08-23-2003, 01:29 AM
Probably same as any other car with that milage - timing belt etc...

Only issues with VWs are quirky stupid things like window might fall in the door, or an annoying rattle that takes you an hour to find. Actual serious problems like blowing engines, transmissions falling out etc are pretty rare.

I'd buy a TDI in a heart beat if I had a long commute.

Khyron

Fluidic
08-23-2003, 02:29 AM
If all the maintenance records are up to snuff – then at 175,000KM – she’s just barely broken in. :)

Volkswagen has some pretty kick-ass routine maintenance programs… so don’t worry… just take it to the dealer, tell them what’s up – and then pick her up in a few hours! :thumbsup:

Good luck and have fun. If you are interested in learning more about MK4 Volkswagen (1999.5 and newer) then check out my website by simply clicking HERE. (http://www.newveedub.com)

Talk to you later. :)

Peter

ninjak84
08-23-2003, 02:42 AM
I wouldn't buy a car that's been driven 175,000km's in 3 years.....
Just my opinion, but thats way too much driving.... even for a solid engine.

Fluidic
08-23-2003, 02:46 AM
Most everyone who either "works" on the road or someone who travels a ton would put so many KM's on a car. If "Dana" buys this from a VW dealership... it either a) comes with a used car certified warranty or b) he is able to purchase an extended warranty ON THE BASIS that the mechanic who inspects the vehicle thinks it's in top-notch shape.

175,000 highway KM on a TDI is nothing... 175,000 city KM on a TDI is troublesome. Make sure they are highway. If so... go for it. At least I would.

Peter

Abom
08-23-2003, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
175,000 highway KM on a TDI is nothing... 175,000 city KM on a TDI is troublesome. Make sure they are highway. If so... go for it. At least I would.

I agree with you there, however, 175 000km is still a lot of mileage, regardless of where it came from. Certain things, like water pump, timing belt, alternator, fuel filter, all fluids including radiator coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid, manual / automatic transmission fluid, etc, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and most likely a few other things I'm forgetting are going to need to be changed, no mater what car it is.

I'd say 1 out of every 40 people actually honestly follow maintenance schedules. Every used car I've owned has had it's first timing belt, even one car that I bought at 187 000km. The average person doesn't give a rats ass about scheduled maintenance, they will fix something only if it's completely broken.

Fluidic
08-23-2003, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Abom
spark plugs, spark plug wires

No such things when dealing with a VW TDI. ;)

Peter

Abom
08-23-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
No such things when dealing with a VW TDI. ;)

Peter

lol, I was actually comparing the average cars out there :rofl: :rolleyes:

Fluidic
08-23-2003, 03:31 AM
Just keeping you in clear view of the goal! :D

hjr
08-23-2003, 11:19 AM
Ask if it was hiway KM's, and ask to see matinance record. it will take about 20 mins to go through it, but you'll have a good idea of whats up and whats not. Mostly look for basic stuff like oil changes at least every 5-6000 km's.

Khyron
08-23-2003, 12:02 PM
The only people that really need to buy TDIs are the ones that drive long distances. I'd be more suspicious if it was a TDI with hardly any.

And a lot of the wear and tear items depends more on how many seasons it's gone through than how many miles. The whole "replace at xx mileage" is more an average based on average driving etc. I bet if you turned on a tdi and kept it running 24/7 (like a generator) it would last for hundreds of thousands of miles before needing any maintenance at all.

Khyron

Shiet
08-24-2003, 08:36 PM
Most common golfs in europe are TDI not unleaded. And like they said TDI is probably the best efficient golf out of there since they have been making them for last 15 years all deisels in europe. different types even doh VR6 kills it in speed. But diesel is kinda expensive in north america as compared to europe

Abom
08-24-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
And a lot of the wear and tear items depends more on how many seasons it's gone through than how many miles. The whole "replace at xx mileage" is more an average based on average driving etc. I bet if you turned on a tdi and kept it running 24/7 (like a generator) it would last for hundreds of thousands of miles before needing any maintenance at all.

I doubt it. Scheduled maintenance is there for a reason, if I bought a brand new car, or even spent a pretty penny on a used one, I'd take proper care of it.

Khyron
08-24-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Abom
I doubt it. Scheduled maintenance is there for a reason, if I bought a brand new car, or even spent a pretty penny on a used one, I'd take proper care of it.

With the exception of oil and timing belts, what other components must be replaced before they break (or start to show wear/act funny)? Your brake fluid is supposed to be flushed every (two?) years? Suppose I was driving my brand new car 200K miles this year. What should I replace?

Khyron