PDA

View Full Version : As is, where is

Antonito
05-30-2008, 09:54 AM
I've been looking through MLS on some fixer uppers and have seen the phrase "as is, where is" several times now. Does this mean that they won't allow an inspection, or just that they aren't fixing anything or lowering their price regardless of what's found?

edit: I'm looking in the Vancouver area, and am on an unknown timeline for purchase, so for the realtors on here, unless you service the Lower Mainland, and want to hope I remember 3 years down the road when I get around to buying a place, no offers of service needed, thanks anyways. That's why I broke my own rule of "just phone someone who knows", because I hate getting free info from people under the pretense that I can supply them with some business.

Heff
05-30-2008, 10:28 AM
sounds like a big red flag to me.

As IS means no repairs by current owner.
You could be walking into a badly repaired grow-op house or worse.

Antonito
05-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Heff
sounds like a big red flag to me.

As IS means no repairs by current owner.
You could be walking into a badly repaired grow-op house or worse.

Doing a lot of work doesn't bother me if the price is right, and as long as I know what is wrong with it, which is where an inspection comes into play.

If it means that there are lots of problems and the current owner has simply given up and wants to sell it for less, I can see why they'd want to make it known that they aren't going to negotiate "well, we'll pay this if you fix the roof and this and that first"

whodiman
05-30-2008, 11:25 AM
The grow up thing could be really bad. obviously you would walk away if the inspector caught it but if you don't the troubles may never end.

Antonito
05-30-2008, 11:46 AM
What are the major problems with grow ops? Wiring and replacing or super-cleaning everything that's been soaked with the smell comes to mind, but am I missing something important?

Penis McNickels
05-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Antonito
What are the major problems with grow ops? Wiring and replacing or super-cleaning everything that's been soaked with the smell comes to mind, but am I missing something important?

The excessive humidity in the house... It can rot the drywall and possibly the framing... Basically water damage, which is the worst kind of damage your house can experience.

JRSC00LUDE
05-30-2008, 11:52 AM
^

Usually also major mold issues throughout due to the high humidity.

Penis McNickels
05-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Well, I guess a fire could suck more...

It would depend on whether or not you would your prefer to drown or be burnt to death...

Weapon_R
05-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Antonito

A permanent public record that your home was a grow-up, which hurts resale values for a long time.

Where is, as is does not mean that they won't allow an inspection. It also won't relieve them from deliberate acts of fraud, misrepresentation, or a violation of any covenants. It will, however, mean that the seller is not making any representations of warranty or habitability beyond what was discussed above.

whodiman
05-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Also, many insurance companies WON'T insure a former grow op or charge you a MAJOR premium to do so.

01RedDX
05-30-2008, 02:49 PM

Antonito
05-30-2008, 04:20 PM
That's pretty crappy that there is no way to get the record cleared if you can show that all traces are gone...

barmanjay
05-30-2008, 10:14 PM
no,.. you can't get the record cleared,.. but you can get a record stating a clean bill of heath on the permanent home record,.. but you would have to basically tear down to the framework and media blast everything then start over