PDA

View Full Version : Noob Q , Intake

403viet
05-31-2008, 09:03 PM
hey guys i was jus wondering wat the main difference between a CAI and a short ram for injen, not much power gain is there ? and which 1 sounds louder and more aggressive

eglove
05-31-2008, 09:14 PM
short ram will be louder and more aggresive.

cai will be longer, most likely routed down towards the front/bumper. easier to ingest water and seize the engine.

short ram easier to install.

hp gains between the two are negligible

3-5% gains

403viet
05-31-2008, 09:16 PM
thanks.. i guess ill stick with the short ram... do you know which is the best type of short ram out ??

eglove
05-31-2008, 09:21 PM
they are all pretty much the same thing. don't get sucked into buying one for hundreds and hundreds though.

KuruptEX
05-31-2008, 09:27 PM
^^doesn't really matter about the piping i think what you are
really paying for is the filter
so u can get a 50 dollar intake and put on like a fujita or aem or injen filter

Doozer
05-31-2008, 09:27 PM
I basically turned my CAI into a short ram, because of the issues with sucking up water. I did a write-up on it here (http://www.doozersden.com/articles.asp?strPostID=16) if you want to read it. Like eglove says, they're all pretty much the same because the concept is pretty basic. There's not usually a lot of ways that that work for each engine, so they're all very similar. Just find one that fits into your budget.

403viet
05-31-2008, 09:29 PM
hmm so if i bought a injen one from speed tech should i upgrade the filter it comes with or is the 1 it comes with pretty much the best 1 already ?

btw thanks for all the info guys

eglove
05-31-2008, 09:32 PM
personally, like kuruptex said. i would spend the money on the filter.

search around for the used piping then you can save some coin.

403civic
06-07-2008, 06:09 PM
I just got a Ebay intake for my car with a K&N filter, works pretty well

Cooked Rice
06-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Ebay intake. Apex'i filter. Some sort of hydroshield, Injen, AFE, AEM, K&N makes them they are all the same. And you can also get a AEM bypass as well, if you are really concerned about hydrolocking.

Filter tests: Click on the picture of the filter to review it's performance. Apex'i did the best for gains and filtration, plus it's a dry filter.
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/1/index.html

The HKS filters look like they are made out of a utility sponge due to their poor filtering performance lol.

ToastiER
06-12-2008, 04:28 PM
^ Great link, everyone should have a read, always hated those foam filters.

403viet
06-12-2008, 10:08 PM
thanks all

getting a Injen short ram

cressida_pimpin
06-14-2008, 07:43 PM
You should also notice some significant gains in mileage too. I made an extra 50km per tank with my short ram and a ractive filter. That's equivalent to an extra $7 of gas per fill up.

Doozer
06-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by cressida_pimpin
You should also notice some significant gains in mileage too. I made an extra 50km per tank with my short ram and a ractive filter. That's equivalent to an extra $7 of gas per fill up.
*sigh* You still believe that? I thought we covered this already. It's physically impossible to use less gas when you're taking more air into the engine.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/196839/intake/

cressida_pimpin
06-15-2008, 09:23 PM
I don't really care what you have to say on the topic or what other people say. I made 50km more a tank, end of story.

sr20s14zenki
06-15-2008, 09:26 PM
I don't really care what you have to say on the topic or what other people say. I made 50km more a tank, end of story. Was that on one tank or was that on an average of many tanks......because it could just be a fluke that you got 50k more.....not saying your'e wrong, just saying should get an average over a few tanks, maybe have a piece of paper you write the mileage of the next 4 tanks on, and average them out.

i personally dont believe you get more mileage with a better filter...outside of marginal mileage...just like the horsepower gains of a filter....2-5%...wooooo...big deal..

cressida_pimpin
06-15-2008, 09:44 PM
that extra 50km was every single tank. It's also weird, then, that Mopac would advertise "better mileage starts here. Synthetic oil and air intakes"

sr20s14zenki
06-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Hmm, interesting. Fair enough, i just figured it would be so marginal it wouldnt really be noticeable. Cool :D So about a 10% increase then?

Doozer
06-16-2008, 11:11 AM
I don't really care what you have to say on the topic or what other people say. I made 50km more a tank, end of story.
Hey man, that's fine. I'm not trying to change your mind or make you change your story. Obviously you're happy with your results. I'm just presenting the physics of an intake so the OP doesn't necessarily expect to save $7/tank after he gets one.

doom26464
06-24-2008, 11:47 PM
go cold air it will benfit you more and sound alot nicer from out side the vechile. you will take in much colder air being it is more dense. As for sucking in water I doubt that to be a problem unless u drive threw a lake. You need alot of water to be sucked in to hydro lock a motor.

you will benfit more power from a cold air over short ram. As how much probaly very minumal but still a small percentage. Im ditching my short ram and going to a cold air soon there has been dyno proof that cold air works better.

Also don't think of the intake as giving you a better peak hp. It will probaly give u mabye 3-4 peak more hp but alot of times(depeneding on the car) will change ur power band to be much better. If your going n/a performance the light change can help when you decide to go with a high flow exhaust, cams, comperssion etc. etc.

Here is a dyno graph of a rather common engine that most ppl know of the D16(Stock CRX motor) is after installing a AEM cold air(temp change is around 1.3F between runs). you can see the difference it made on mid range power is very good and also peak. If ur motor is bigger displacment or DOHC you could probaly benfit even more from a CAI

hope this helps!http://images.importtuner.com/powerpages/0506it_ppcrx04_z.jpg

A790
06-24-2008, 11:50 PM

:rofl: