PDA

View Full Version : Bad CV joint, can the car be driven long distance?

bigbadboss101
06-01-2008, 05:13 PM
I am interested in a car in BC and before I book flights to go there I am wondering if the car can be driven back with CV joint needing replacement? If not then probably I wouldn't bother.
Owner had his license suspended due to DUI so he didn't have the need to fix it.

ExtraSlow
06-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Honestly, there's no way for anyone on the internet to know the real answer to this question.
Eventually, the thing will fail, and that would be a bad scene. Many people drive cars for thousands of kilometers with worn CV joints and they don't have a problem, but for all you know, the guy has already done this.

is the car rare or something you can't source locally? If it was me, the CV joint wouldn't worry me. I'd be more worried about showing up and finding out the car is in worse shape then advertised.

2BLUE
06-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Go for it i got 7000kms on my clicking cv

rice_balls
06-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Either scenario's can happen, it can break on you on the way home or it could make it home... just like ExtraSlow said it could of been driven already to the point where the cv joint breaking is imminent. You just never know.

Are you feeling lucky?

Kloubek
06-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Is it making noises when turning or when going straight? If when turning, then it has play in it but might last indefinately. (Though I wouldn't test it.) It should be replaced as soon as possible.

If a joint is making noises at all times - including straight, then it has a LOT of play in it and I would be *very* sceptical about driving it 12 hours.

The thing is: You have to fix it anyway. So why not just get it fixed down there (make prearrangements to ensure you get in right away) and be done with it? Otherwise, you run the risk of it breaking along the way and at minimum a very hefty tow charge.

If you do end up driving it back, try to go easy on it so you put less stress on it. Light accellerations, easy shifts (if it's a standard) etc.

SCHIDER23
06-02-2008, 11:29 PM
:werd: I was lucky enough not to noticed my CV join boot took a crap I was on deerfoot all of the sudden my car steered to the right really hard I managed to stop and noticed the cv join was not turning at all, had to get the car towed not a fun experience.

pinoyboy88
06-02-2008, 11:35 PM
My cv joints messed up been driving it for 3 months now no problems yet (except for clicking when turning). Drove it all the way to edmonton and back about a month ago. Just 2 weeks ago drove it to sylvan lake. But don't know how bad it is now though.