PDA

View Full Version : adjustable dumbbells for home gym?

nodoubtt
06-01-2008, 07:55 PM
Is it possible to get those adjustable dumbbells that go from like 5-60 lbs and use it at home as a replacement for going to a fitness centre?
Can I work out all my muscles effectively with just dumbbells?
I'd also probably be able to get a barbell and a bench with some weights too.
Input?

swak
06-01-2008, 08:58 PM
not at all.
-can you do DB curls with your legs?

Buy a gym membership

Mixalot27
06-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by swak
not at all.
-can you do DB curls with your legs?

I guess you've never heard the expression, curls are for little girls.

Squats, Lunges, Deadlifts.

You can get in pretty good shape with just Dumbbells. Although you'll do better with adding a barbell and bench/cage which will probably have leg extensions for curls too. Maybe add in some type of Chin up bar/rack. Thats all you really need to work out at home, if thats your thing. Of course your equipment isn't going to compare to a commercial gym but for some people the convenience of working home is worth the trade off.

Heres a site with a bunch of dumbbell exercises you might try out:

http://www.dumbbell-exercise.com/dumbbell-exercises.htm

swak
06-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Mixalot27
[B]

I guess you've never heard the expression, curls are for little girls.

haha... no i havent, but i see where your coming from.
I couldnt agree more, but how far is a 120lb squat gonna get you?

Mixalot27
06-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by swak

haha... no i havent, but i see where your coming from.
I couldnt agree more, but how far is a 120lb squat gonna get you?

Yes true enough thats why he would need the barbell and cage at some point if he's going to train heavy. I don't know if the OP's goal is lifting heavy and getting big or if he just wants to get in general decent shape though. For some people 120lbs would be enough for a while.

BTW that saying is usually used referring to bicep curls not leg curls anyway. I don't think leg curls are a bad exercise, just there are other alternatives as well.

rice_balls
06-01-2008, 10:35 PM
It all comes down to how you use it... IMO i think the list of equipment would be enough to effectively work your muscles. Thats just what i think anyways