PDA

View Full Version : apartment rental in HK for 3 weeks

autumnrain
06-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Hi hi,
So just wondering if any here has ever rented a condo in hong kong for weeks. We are going for 3 weeks and instead of getting a hotel for the trip. i thought it might be more cost efficent to rent out a condo or something.

civic_ek4
06-06-2008, 01:27 AM
naw, i doubt it. there is this hotel thats really cheap but it's far far far far away.

http://www.harbour-plaza.com/en/accommodation.aspx?hotel_id=hprc&section_id=acco&subsection_id=standard_suite&path=standard_suite

Shogged
06-06-2008, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by autumnrain
Hi hi,
So just wondering if any here has ever rented a condo in hong kong for weeks. We are going for 3 weeks and instead of getting a hotel for the trip. i thought it might be more cost efficent to rent out a condo or something.

depends how you look at it!

with a condo you'll be able to cook your own meals, among other things.

The money you save over eating out every night could easily make up the difference if the condo is more expensive.

szw
06-06-2008, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Shogged

depends how you look at it!

with a condo you'll be able to cook your own meals, among other things.

The money you save over eating out every night could easily make up the difference if the condo is more expensive.

Go to HK to cook at home instead of eating out? Are you crazy? And the point of short term renting would be that its cheaper, not more expensive than a hotel.

You may want to search on a forum called geoexpat, its for expats living in HK. In China there are lots of apartments rented out for short terms, they call them "homtels", but I'm not sure what the HK deal is. geoexpat will probably know.

TomcoPDR
06-06-2008, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by szw

Go to HK to cook at home instead of eating out? Are you crazy?

:werd: exactly. Though how would you determine what's the best Chinese food there?

l/l/rX
06-06-2008, 03:00 AM
haha exactly, going to hk is all about experiencing the street food, the restaurant food, the lil shops food. fuck it won't even cost you a fortune to go eat at these places. $10 cdn for 2 at most. dont be stingy, enjoy the hk life. for you to rent a place will probably be more than getting a hotel. chinese ppl want the most for their money, so they'll probably charge you more than a hotel.

i know i would =)

btw... i stayed at a hotel on the kowloon side and i can tell you it was 20x more comfortable than staying at my friends 1.4 mill cdn apartment on the hk side. the hotel had nice comforters, nice bed, nice pillows and a nice big shower and 2 single beds.
i would only stay at my friends place if it was only me and her. (at the time it was me her, her mom and sister)

edit: i believe it was only $80 a night. I THINK!

civic_ek4
06-06-2008, 10:31 PM
i don't think you will really cook in HK, i've been living here for 2.5 yrs and i only cook once a month. but then thats because my working hours, getting home and at last i am lazy.

the hotel i mentioned above would give you that option and it doesn't charge you deposit BUT the only down fall it's freakin far away. so let say on a weekend you want to spend some time in LKF or out till late you will need to take a taxi home.

the places that you will find from expat will be more expensive, discovery bay, stanley............

CAD80 X FX 7.8 X 21 days = HKD13,104 thats how much rent would be but then there aren't many short term rentals in HK. for service apartment they need like 1 month deposit and the location isn't so well either. (for this budget)

do some search but i think the hotel i listed above is probably the cheapest.

realazy
06-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Eating out in HK is CHEAP. A regular meal is only like $5 CAD, you can get away with maybe $2 CAD if you're cheap.

What's expensive is transportation in HK, when I was working there, I spent close to $150 CAD a month for riding the MTR, KCR, and the bus.

Just have fun, when you convert everything back to CAD prices, you'll end up buying lots more things than you intended to.

sexualbanana
06-07-2008, 07:33 PM
I don't know what the hotel prices are like in HK, but I know in most places in North America, if you stay in a hotel for anything more than like 4-5 days it is cheaper to rent a vacation home/condo which often rent them out for at least 1 week terms.

In regards to the eating out issue, no one said that renting a vacation home means you can't eat out.

civic_ek4
06-09-2008, 10:15 PM
i think it could go both ways for dining out. it could be cheap if you go local style. Or things could go really expensive if you go for some good japanese food.

but either way the strong canadian dollar will be benefits on your side.

I know one thing that i miss a lot is alberta beef.

RX_EVOLV
06-09-2008, 10:17 PM
I know you can rent out room @ YMCA for weeks or months and the rate is pretty reasonable.

agree, dont cook, just eat out. cheaper imo.

CaptainReboot
06-10-2008, 07:55 AM
I stayed at the BP International Hotel for 3 weeks for about $80 bucks a day. The hotel is very clean, and it was in a good location (by Kowloon Park, Nathan Road, Jordan MTR)

dsm112
06-11-2008, 03:52 PM
i stayed at BP as well and liked it..everything is within decent walking range