PDA

View Full Version : My New Favorite Beer

dimi
06-02-2008, 11:15 AM
http://www.unibroue.com/products/fin.cfm

Highly recommend! It has such a distinct taste. Also 750ml 9% bottles are usually around $5, which is a good deal considering the alcohol content. Don De Dieu is also wicked. Anyone know where I can find all the varieties?

bulaian
06-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Willow Park has a few different ones, not sure if they have them all though.

89coupe
06-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Try this beer, you will love it!:thumbsup:

www.duvelusa.com

http://www.slosar.com/list/uploaded_images/Duvel_33clglass_lr-702695.jpg

jdmakkord
06-02-2008, 11:37 AM
What no corona? :D Finally some people that look for different beers:thumbsup:

saiyajin
06-02-2008, 11:38 AM
beyond liquor has alot of them.. should check them out

Penis McNickels
06-02-2008, 12:13 PM
I do find myself enjoying Calgary's Wild Rose microbrewary beers...

They have some pretty good brews.

Corona is piss water and is only drunk by highschool kids who think they are too good for Molson Canadian.

La Fin Du Monde, Maudite and the others have been around for quite some time. However, I find that in Alberta, with no government liquor stores, variety here is lacking.

ExtraSlow
06-02-2008, 01:05 PM
unibroue has some fine beers, and you are right, they are a great deal for such high quality.
I enjoy the Blanche de Chambly and Trios Pistoles.

lamp_shade_2000
06-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Wildrose beer FTW soooo good.

ekguy
06-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Any of those unibroue beers are awesome I used to drink it all the time when visiting family in Quebec. They do serve it at Open Sesame I believe. Either way lot's of liquor stores carry it.

dimi
06-02-2008, 01:32 PM
I've tried Trois Pistoles, Maudite, Fin du Monde and Don de Dieu. I also love the wild rose beers, although the price is slightly high. Wraspberry and Velvet Fog :thumbsup:

What is this beyond liquor? Don't tell me beyond.ca has an online liquorstore

saiyajin
06-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by dimi
I've tried Trois Pistoles, Maudite, Fin du Monde and Don de Dieu. I also love the wild rose beers, although the price is slightly high. Wraspberry and Velvet Fog :thumbsup:

What is this beyond liquor? Don't tell me beyond.ca has an online liquorstore

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/210415/beyond-liquor-store/

TKRIS
06-02-2008, 02:40 PM
All the Unibroue beers are generally quite good.
I actually even like the Ephemere, despite my typically strong opposition and general distaste for fruit flavoured beers.

Not many domestically available beers with as varied a flavour as those offered by Unibroue. Some of the imports have the same crisp, sharply carbonated taste, but most tend to stay fairly close to the Reinheitsgebot, and as a result, don't have anywhere near the complexity that these beers offer.

Personally, while I do like to buy Unibroue occasionally (Trois Pistoles or Blanche de Chambly, usually) they aren't something that I'd drink on a terribly regular basis. While good, there's just a little too much going on there for a "daily beer". plus, those variety packs they sell sneak up on you. Before you know it, 2 hours slip by, you've had 12 beer (most of which are 9%) and you're drunker than you should be at 2:30 on Saturday afternoon.

ekguy
06-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Ephemere is really good and if I'm not mistaken I think they brew different kinds seasonally or else Open Sesame has a different seasonally either one hehe. I have tried them all and like them all. Good strong beer that would make most americans puke I bet.

legendboy
06-02-2008, 03:47 PM
I have been enjoying uni's brews for years, one of my favorites! :thumbsup:

Co-oP liquor stores usually carry the full lineup

ExtraSlow
06-02-2008, 03:56 PM
For another good, complex beer, you should check out Innis and Gunn. It's oak aged, and that imparts a very unique taste to it.

ekguy
06-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Innis and Gunn is disgusting. I had a few and thats all I could stand. Some people might like it though. But ewww....

TKRIS
06-02-2008, 04:34 PM
FWIW: The Americans that some of you look upon with distain are making most of the world's best beers these days.
You can't judge American beer by Budweiser unless you judge Canadian beer by Labatt Blue (both are fucking horrible).

Innis and Gunn is good beer, but IMHO a bit expensive for what it is (at least in the places I've found it).
If you like I&G, try Flying Dog's "Road Dog Porter". Completely different type of beer, but I'm betting if you like one, you'll like the other.

Graham_A_M
06-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by bulaian
Willow Park has a few different ones, not sure if they have them all though.

:werd: they have EVERY variety from this brewery.

... plus so many others that I had no idea existed. Quite the place if you want to find "hard to find" beers.
:eek:

You should head over to Brewsters and try out a sampler tray. I absolutely love some of the beers there, that "Rivercity raseberry" (spelling:banghead: )

Also; this blue berry ale is just amazing. They have off-sales too

1 liter schooner of those beers are just $9, so it makes quite the watering hole for me.
:clap:

DJ_NAV
06-03-2008, 12:13 PM
i like hoe-garden(sp?)

lelalong
06-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
For another good, complex beer, you should check out Innis and Gunn. It's oak aged, and that imparts a very unique taste to it.

+1 :thumbsup: And I usually don't like beers

ExtraSlow
06-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by DJ_NAV
i like hoe-garden(sp?)
Hoegaarden, a witbier (White, or Wheat beer, depending on who you ask)
I love the european style wheat beers beers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_beer

Boost Infested
06-03-2008, 01:18 PM
go to http://beeradvocate.com/

elesdee
06-03-2008, 01:37 PM
fuckin awesome! Unibroue, Wildrose, and Hoegaarden FTW!!!

legendboy
06-04-2008, 11:33 AM
I dig Hoegaarden too, just so expensive. Blanche de Chambly is just as good and cheaper.

eur0
06-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Unibroue is great, Leffe is pretty similar in taste too.

Ben
06-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Try this beer, you will love it!:thumbsup:

www.duvelusa.com

http://www.slosar.com/list/uploaded_images/Duvel_33clglass_lr-702695.jpg

This is pretty good. I found a 4 pack w/ glass at the Coop store in Kincora, was decent.

Been drinking the Fin du Monde for a few years now, it's got a great shelflife so I generally stock up if I find it for an exceptional price.

Nissanaddict
06-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Damn, I've been without internet for a bit, and I come back to this brilliant thread. :thumbsup:
Czechvar is my favourite lager (the original budweiser for those who don't know, Wikipedia it if you're interested in hearing how the Americans stole the name)
Fuller's London Pride is a great Ale
I don't mind Innis and Gunn, but as said, quite expensive (usually Euro bottle priced, NA bottle size). I like Fuller's organic honeydew on this one. Not near as distinct, but I think it's wicked.
Recently at 1410 World Bier Haus, I tried one of the best beers I've ever had. Floris Ninkeberry. It's very un-beer like and interesting. As far as whites, love Blanche de Chambly.
Also try Affligem (a great Belgian Pale Ale)

msommers
06-10-2008, 02:01 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2278/2154153338_0362290a53.jpg
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

colinderksen
06-16-2008, 09:23 PM
"Dude Beer" is the best beer on the market. It's probably Euopean.

Neil4Speed
04-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I finally tried this stuff out La Fin De Monde - Wow, really is epic good. Love it!

Unknown303
04-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Amber’s Sap Vampire Maple Lager is one I was surprised to find recently. Pretty decent flavor, since I love maple.

ExtraSlow
04-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Small selection of these beers at the CSN liquor store. Not an "everyday" beer, but good to go back to.

btimbit
04-06-2012, 04:44 PM
I do like Unibroue. Phillips is good stuff too, think it's fairly new to Calgary, out of Vancouver Island.

Favorite local brewery is definitely Brewsters. The food in the restaurants is garbage, but the beer is great. Love their Pale Ale and IPA

davidI
04-06-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm looking forward to trying Unibroue.

After spending so much time in Germany and Belgium, I really hate most Canadian beers.

I love trappist beers. Hoegaarden is a pretty shitty example of the Belgian Wit Biers (mass produced equivalent to Molson Canadian in Belgium) but is one of the more easily available beers here. German Hefe-Weisens are also great. Paulaner and Erdinger are two of my favs.

My Belgian beer review:
http://baldpacker.com/beer-review-belgium

My German beer review:
http://baldpacker.com/beer-review-germany

Penguin_Racecar
04-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by dimi
Anyone know where I can find all the varieties?

I'd try Zyn - located in Inglewood. They're huge and have everything I've ever asked for.

schocker
04-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Gave Blanche de Chambly a try today as I was looking for something white. I didn't care for the bite but overall it was pretty good. I do have a few others kicking around at home I havn't drank yet from Unibroue. I am a big fan of the whites though, had the 1664 Blanc at Joeys the other day and quite liked it. Any one know other beers like that, I suppose also similar to Hoegarden?

Graham_A_M
04-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Holy fuck this is an old thread... Cant believe I wrote that on page 1; 4 years ago. :rofl:

Ah well, still holds true. :thumbsup:

K3RMiTdot
04-07-2012, 07:59 AM
strongbow..

jdmakkord
04-07-2012, 08:02 AM
....is not a beer.

Unknown303
04-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
strongbow..

lol rookie doesn't know beers.

J-hop
04-07-2012, 08:25 AM
lol I have yet to try strongbow cider, only people I know that drink it are women so I always figured it was like breezers- as a guy you just don't drink it :rofl:

Anyone know where you can buy Rani Lager (I havent really searched around for it yet), I went out to an Indian buffet and had it there, great beer. I think it's a mountain crest product.

raceman6135
04-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
Anyone know where you can buy Rani Lager (I havent really searched around for it yet), I went out to an Indian buffet and had it there, great beer. I think it's a mountain crest product.

Looks like there are 5 liquor stores in Calgary that carry it. Go to this webpage:

http://www.liquorconnect.com/Products/Pages/3210-00711336.aspx

...and input 'Calgary' or your postal code into the search.

J-hop
04-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by raceman6135

Looks like there are 5 liquor stores in Calgary that carry it. Go to this webpage:

http://www.liquorconnect.com/Products/Pages/3210-00711336.aspx

...and input 'Calgary' or your postal code into the search.

sweet thanks!

Unknown303
04-17-2012, 09:27 PM
I picked up a bunch of brewing equipment and a cream ale starter kit. Going to start crafting my own brews! :bigpimp: