PDA

View Full Version : Exercises for golfers

chichi41
06-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Anybody know any exercises that will strengthen your golf game?

dr_jared88
06-02-2008, 10:32 PM
p90x has helped me a ton in not just golf but all physical activities. You have to be fairly devoted but tons of results if you are.

broken_legs
06-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Kind of sort of related...

I started doing some kettle bell exercises and lots of dynamic stuff with a partner at teh gym and with medicine balls etc...

This is all supposed to help your coordination and balance even though you may not b doing a specific exercise.

I read somewhere that balance and coordination exercises are key to being a good athlete, and all athletes should do them. But sport specific is just your normal sports practice...

Anyways, i was snowboarding earlier this year and i hadnt been for 8 years, it came back quick but i hit a wall., I was at the rig for a month doing all these exercises and when i hit the slopes again i felt like my general balance an control had improved dramatically even though i hadnt done any snowboarding related exercises.

swak
06-03-2008, 10:24 AM
squats

USHER
06-03-2008, 05:34 PM
plyometrics

swak
06-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Just like the saying....
"The only way to get better at running is to run"
Im sure it is relevant to golfing as well

USHER
06-03-2008, 08:06 PM
well thats a given. of course the more you play the better you get.

but i think what hes asking is how can he get a few extra yards on his drives. obviously someone like lebron james trains different than tiger woods.

JVR1
06-03-2008, 08:24 PM
i'd say lots of stretching and core exercises..

bigboom
06-04-2008, 10:05 AM
with golf a lot of power is driven with just getting your core muscles to react in tune with the swing. a lot of the pros out there do a lot of balance exercises on balls.

what i would focus on is a lot of core and lower body exercise like someone mentioned in squats. triceps are an integral part of the swing too.

but if you want a lot of info check out the TPi site (titleist institute) at http://www.mytpi.com/

swak
06-08-2008, 01:34 PM
A little off-topic
But i went to the golf dome for the first time the other day, and its only $15 for unlimited golf.

I was really impressed.
...i def. got my moneys worth that day :guns:

Great place to go.

cmodem
06-08-2008, 05:46 PM
www.fitnessforgolf.com

100 bucks a year. It's a super program totalling 27 weeks.

Works on a pyramid where you focus on flexibility, core stregthening, and lastly power.

Each part has 3 stages you do for 3 weeks.

I've been doing it for 25ish weeks... on to power stage 2... but i've had some skip weeks due to laziness and too much playing lol.

It has definately helped with stability in the swing... i don't sway around or lose balance as much... and it's given me about 20 yards carry on each club so far. Fingers crossed for more in the hot summer days.

I've only begun stage 2 power too haha.