PDA

View Full Version : put new exhaust on.

2000impreza
08-06-2002, 07:06 PM
a few months i got this axle back exhaust from australia... lol. the problem is one tip sits higher than the other. one of the hangers are also way off. the tips sit too close to the bumper. i think it might melt it. i "think" this exhaust was made to fit the older style wrx.... anyways need some opinions.

-does this exhaust look really bad because one tip sits higher than the other?
-what can i do about the tips being too close to the bumper? this exhaust is also hight ajustable. it sits at the lowest setting aready.
-the axle back exhaust piping is 3" in diameter. midpipe is 2.5". is this too much for a 2.5L NA engine???

pics

Ekliptix
08-06-2002, 07:21 PM
I think if it was level, it would make a big difference. It looks shiny though. Hopefully you can staighten it out somehow because you don't want to spend a significant amount of money on your car and not be happy w/ it.

Good luck.

Audi Kid
08-06-2002, 07:28 PM
doesnt look that bad but if you spent alot of $ try to return it or somethin..

2000impreza
08-06-2002, 08:15 PM
it doesn't look too bad. but doesn't look quite right. i don't know if i should put the old exhaust back on. i don't really like the fart can look anymore cause everyone has one...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid18/p60c07cc114b7ea565d1926d5f12c22bc/fdcd2cf7.jpg

EDIT: i don't know how to spell

Audi Kid
08-06-2002, 08:24 PM
hmmmm id keep the new one! go to a good muffler shop and see what they can do for ya man

4wheeldrift
08-06-2002, 09:35 PM
Is that an MRT exhaust? If the exhaust is height adjustable, adjust the lower side to bring it up to the same level as the high side. It looks a little funny, but it isn't so bad either.

I don't really think the exhaust is too big, its just not really doing a hell of a lot for you. The biggest restriction (header and cat) are still intact, so opening everything up behind it doesn't do much for performance (it does a bit, but the gains are negligible).

In terms of the tips being close to the bumper, those do look rather close. If you are very patient, you could radius the opening in the bumper to get it away from the exhuast. Its just plastic, a good sharp knight will do the job to cut it back a little bit.

One question though, it almost looks like the exhaust is on upside down? the big part of the canister is on the bottom, usually its tucked up behind the bumper. Maybe thats how that one is supposed to look, I'm not sure.

GT2NV
08-06-2002, 10:48 PM
hmmmm even though everyone has your old style exaust, i say you should keep it, it looks alot better, and more suited to your car, the other one just looks like its stock:dunno: well its totally up to you, thats just my 2 cents :)

HRD2PLZ
08-06-2002, 11:42 PM
I went with the stock look on the Accord too, I was going to get a so-called "fart-can" but ended up buying a stainless dual tip muffler from Tunerworks instead. I think the dual looks better (on your car and mine). Unless you want your exhaust to look modded...

boi-alien
08-07-2002, 12:19 AM
i like it! just get it leveled out!!

2000impreza
08-07-2002, 01:25 AM
4wheeldrift. its a bpm exhaust. the muffler can itself is pretty round. the top part sits high so you can't really see the top of the can. hehe. haven't given much thought about the mrt. not much people have bpm exhaust on the older style impreza's so i didn't expect it to fit perfect. hey, who knows.

i went with dual tip because i wanted less "in your face" look cause i was tired of everyone reving their engines at me. sometimes i just want to drive...

i think i can get the tips leveled out by rotating the midpipe flange. who knows. i might just leave it. haha. if you guys see a silver impreza with a uneven exhaust tips thats me.

Fluidic
08-07-2002, 01:56 AM
Just get everything straightened out.... and it will look fine.

Are you in Calgary yet/now?!

Peter

2000impreza
08-07-2002, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Fluidic Digital
Just get everything straightened out.... and it will look fine.

Are you in Calgary yet/now?!

Peter

yep, been in calgary for awhile now. been out a few times. so fun here. went shanks(spelling?) tonight. hehe. fun fun. :thumbsup:

2000impreza
08-07-2002, 12:04 PM
i undid the midpipe to cat flange and rotated the whole midpipe and exhaust. i got it to straighten out a little bit.............. hehe. it looks pretty good now.

LowRiderHD2000
08-07-2002, 12:58 PM
Looks much better.:thumbsup:

Hows it sound?

Fuji
08-07-2002, 01:08 PM
I have 2 1/4" piping... I read in a lot of magazines (for imprezas) that's the size to use for optimal flow/backpressure. Anymore than that can lead to power loss

Eagle Eye
08-07-2002, 01:09 PM
I like the dual exhaust tip aswell. Looks a lot cleaner than the one you can put your head into (Tin can exhaust). Looks a lot better now than it did in the first few pics! Good job :thumbsup:

tulit
08-07-2002, 08:24 PM
Roland, the hangers on the exhaust allow you to adjust the height on either side (theyre bent slightly for that).

You can adjust either side by just rotating how far you screw the hanger into the exhaust. Certain distances of screwing it in will make the hangers bend at different locations relative to the muffler. Then use the bolts on the hanger threads to lock everything in place.

That will probably fix your height issue, as well as it sitting crooked. Just set both hangers so that they are bent upwards as much as possible.....

2000impreza
08-07-2002, 10:34 PM
i have most of the problems figured out. hehe. thanks for all the comments.

sound wise........ its very deep. up to 3000rpm its pretty quiet. after that it gets very loud. way deeper than my previous exhaust. then again the boxer engines are very deep sounding. hehe. i'll post up a sound clip when i get a chance to.

GT2NV
08-09-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Fuji
I have 2 1/4" piping... I read in a lot of magazines (for imprezas) that's the size to use for optimal flow/backpressure. Anymore than that can lead to power loss
hmmmmm i have 2.5.... and it improved high end power alot :dunno: 2 1/4''??? dont cars come stock with that? at least mine did:dunno:

4wheeldrift
08-09-2002, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by black94gt

hmmmmm i have 2.5.... and it improved high end power alot :dunno: 2 1/4''??? dont cars come stock with that? at least mine did:dunno:

Every car is different :confused:

Ferio_vti
08-10-2002, 06:39 PM
2000Impreza: I saw you driving into Northland mall today. Man that is one nice and shiny muffler, could see it half a block away. Very nice!! :thumbsup:

2000impreza
08-10-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
2000Impreza: I saw you driving into Northland mall today. Man that is one nice and shiny muffler, could see it half a block away. Very nice!! :thumbsup:

thanks man. you were in a civic ex? don't think i seen you. when i got to northland the mall was closed. haha. forgot today was saturday. close at 6:00pm :banghead:

Ferio_vti
08-10-2002, 09:26 PM
Yah that was me in the very stock Civic behind you :) I was heading for the McD's.

Question for ya: Did you get you RS new, how much were they?? I'm looking at getting a used one, I wan't some price comparison of what they were off the lot.

2000impreza
08-10-2002, 09:37 PM
i bought mine new in 2000 for $28 400 with all the factory options. also *cough*automatic*cough* cause my parents made me get the auto. 5-speeds could be had for $1000 cheaper.

if your looking for used RS's look for the 2000 up ones. the 98's had engine problems and the 99's had air sensor problems. i seen a used 2000 impreza RS 5-speed manual stock with only 56 000 km's for $23k on canadatrader. pretty good deal cause the older impreza's don't hold their value that well. i've seen higher mileage RS's go for under $20 000.

2000impreza
08-10-2002, 09:39 PM
http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/affich.asp?sid=36ACRSP0022490&rubno=4000&pa=2&pr=1

Ferio_vti
08-10-2002, 09:41 PM
Yah, I saw a sweet sedan RS in Canada trader 32k asking $25. Same color as your.

4wheeldrift
08-10-2002, 10:00 PM
There's nothing wrong with a 99 as long as you don't put an intake on it. They used a hot film mass air sensor that doesn't like intakes very much. I run a straight K&N drop in replacement and have had no trouble.

2000impreza
08-10-2002, 10:25 PM
98 and 99 2.5RS's are also pretty rare. there is nothing worng with the 99RS. a lot of people have put turbo and aftermarket intakes on without any problem. but i've also heard stories of people blowing these things weekly. i'm not saying it will blow out but if it does it gets costly.