PDA

View Full Version : RX8 on gas??

StolenBlackAck
06-03-2008, 01:53 AM
Hey guys,

This is my first post and might sound kinda stupid...

Im debating buying a rx8 in the next month.. I read its a 1.3L engine which sounds awesome but its rotary.. what is a rotary engine and how does it compare to like a g35 coupe, gas wise??

Is rotary comparable to like a v6?

Im wonderin if anyone has one.. about how many kms they get on a full tank and how much that full tank costs..

as u can see im not the most car technical person but love driving!!

Thanks in advance beyonders!:werd:

Weapon_R
06-03-2008, 02:34 AM
16mpg city, 22 highway. About as economical as a half ton domestic truck :thumbsup:

khtm
06-03-2008, 06:12 AM
I'd stay away if you're concerned about gas. I owned one a few years ago and got 13mpg in the city because you're supposed to drive rotaries hard to prevent carbon build-up.

Super fun car though, but not one for someone who's gas conscience.

sr20s14zenki
06-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Yep, rotary is gas guzzler, i think that 22 hiway is even wishful thinking haha. They are just a natural fuel pig by design. Also, i have been hearing about alot of their engines popping prematurely...theres a guy on here that has had his engine warrantyed 3 times or something. Im a rotary fan, love the engine, but i dont expect mileage out of them, and i dont like the renesis...its a piece of shit. Ill take a 13b/13b-rew any time....or a 20b...:drool:

dr_jared88
06-03-2008, 06:35 AM
"If you gotta ask, You can't afford" haha

BigMass
06-03-2008, 07:09 AM
fuel efficiency of a dodge viper at 1/4 the performance. Don't know how mazda every thought this was a good idea.

403Gemini
06-03-2008, 07:09 AM
read rotten's poor experience

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/179910/my-rant-kramer-mazda/

May be more the dealership, but i think he'd even agree although its a fun car... its not worth the fear in the back of your mind of wondering whats going to break next.

StolenBlackAck
06-03-2008, 12:25 PM
damn .. thx guys!

StolenBlackAck
06-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
16mpg city, 22 highway. About as economical as a half ton domestic truck :thumbsup:

haha.. sheit .. thats comedy and scary at the same time

picmerollin
06-03-2008, 01:21 PM
i was going to buy an rx-8, but then i compared to the competition and i purchased an 05 350z. i have some pent up rotary love from the days of my turboII.

faster, and better on fuel.....and for some reason my insurance isnt too bad either??

my only regret is that i may need to sell it quick to get something with a backseat:banghead:

it was rx-8, sti, or 350z/g35coupe so very similar to your choices just add the awd boosted bastard

decisions decisions!!

dj_rice
06-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Isnt the OP buying a G35 coupe?

CTSV
06-04-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm sort of looking to get an RX7 or 8 and put in an LSX engine. Looks like I'd get better gas mileage and Viper like performance....

G3500
06-04-2008, 10:54 PM
the car also uses premium fuel and more engine oil than a regular car, you have to fill it up every 2 months or so

Penguin_Racecar
06-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by G3500
the car also uses premium fuel and more engine oil than a regular car, you have to fill it up every 2 months or so

The rotary engine is designed to use oil (by injecting it into the combustion chamber) much like a 2 stroke motor. It would be unwise to only top up the oil every 2 months :)

As for the OP - rotaries are neat, and can make great power, but you don't buy them for the gas mileage - that's for sure. Get a G35.

StolenBlackAck
06-04-2008, 11:10 PM
awesome thanks everyone for the help.. g35 it is!

ryanallan
06-04-2008, 11:23 PM
I just bought one :thumbsup: :burnout: :love:

here is my review:

im not going to lie, the mileage is pretty bad. i averaged about 275 miles per tank (~50L) on the highway driving back from cali. rite now, driving about 60km each day (420km/week), i spend $60/week in gas, and you have to buy premium.
as for the oil injection, it is recommended that you check the level every time you fill up. seriously though, if this is a huge problem, i really don't know what to tell you...

if mileage is your only concern, then get a prius.

really though, the car is awesome. its not as slow as some people make it out to be, it pretty much handles better than anything else you can buy (ferraris, lotus, mclarens excluded), and has all the luxury features you would expect in a higher priced car (HID headlights, heated seats/mirrors, leather, 6-speed, double wishbone suspension...etc).

it is recommended that you redline the car atleast once every time you drive to help reduce carbon build. sure, it will eat through the gas faster than you would while cruising at 2000rpm, but this is the point of the car. it loves to rev and sounds great while doing so. it also loves to take turns faster than you would think possible.

the "free style doors" are also pretty handy. they make the back seats actually usable.

the car i bought has 100,000km on the original engine, so i think its kinda hit and miss as to whether or not you get a lemon. just make sure you keep up to date on the re-flashes, and general maintance.

i would also recommend buying a USA car as you would save nearly $10,000 and have a better condition car.

at the time of purchase i was looking for a 350Z, RX8, STI, S2000, or a 330ci.
i ruled out the 330 and STI because of price, the S2000 because of its size and lack of being winter drivable. this left the 350Z or RX8.
from my own research, the 350Z seemed to have poor long term reliability. wheel bearing were a common problem, interior plastics were wearing away, and the "new and tight" feeling seemed to turn into "old and loose".

this left the RX8. after driving it though, i should have bought it before even considering any of the above cars.

maybe this review was a bit extreme as i have driven FWD DSM's all my life, but i really like the RX8 !

happy motoring :clap:

StolenBlackAck
06-04-2008, 11:26 PM
nice review thanks i appreciate it.. but what about a g35 coupe, why wasnt that in the mix?

ryanallan
06-04-2008, 11:28 PM
g35 coupe = 350Z

they are pretty much the same car.

StolenBlackAck
06-04-2008, 11:35 PM
pm'd