PDA

View Full Version : Okanagan Wineries to visit.

ekguy
06-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Like the title says I know we have some people who like wine on here who have most likely went to the Okanagan and gone for winery tours. Where are the ones to see? Advice and recommendations needed. Go nuts guys we are going there mostly for this and to enjoy the scenery.

The Cosworth
06-03-2008, 07:04 PM
mission hill winery in Kelowna, awesome

PHX
06-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Make your way down to Penticton and check out the Naramata bench. There is approx. 5-10 wineries on one road all within a very short drive.

jdmakkord
06-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Missionhill just to see the enormous setup they have, and to have lunch at the cafe:drool: and summerhill for some great wine.

zarge
06-03-2008, 08:58 PM
I'd say there's at least 20 wineries in naramata.. it takes like 20 minutes to drive straight through

Kritafo
06-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Summerhill is pretty good.

Blue Mountain... there are so many

http://www.welcometobc.ca/bcwinerytours/

asp integra
06-03-2008, 11:40 PM
its hard to go wrong at any winery, most are all really good, i recomend checking out some small ones along with biger ones, so many around penticton/naramata, and oliver is good too, kelowna is also pretty good

badseed
06-04-2008, 06:57 AM
^^ Oliver has a boat load of wineries to visit. I beleive this is the wine capital fo the west (Canada). I'd suggest driving through penticton and oliver making your way towards osoyoos (spelling?).

I've done this before, Kelowna has all the bigger vineyards but Oliver has alot more selection and cooler Mom and Pap type vineyards along with some bigger ones too.:thumbsup:

NK Mip (native vineyard)
Burrowing Owl (really cool restaraunt)
Mission Hill (informative tour w/tastings for cheap)
Sage (Italian family runs this, really cool desert wines)

All I can remember for now.

hampstor
06-04-2008, 08:26 AM
If you get up near Salmon Arm / Tapen, Recline Ridge has a fantastic desert wine.

There is also an awesome winery in Kelowna on the east side, they have a giant pyramid in their parking lot... the owner believes his wines age better inside of it. I think it was called summerhill?

They have great food too. :bigpimp:

Kritafo
06-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
If you get up near Salmon Arm / Tapen, Recline Ridge has a fantastic desert wine.

There is also an awesome winery in Kelowna on the east side, they have a giant pyramid in their parking lot... the owner believes his wines age better inside of it. I think it was called summerhill?

They have great food too. :bigpimp:

Yup that is summerhill. My favourite next to Chinook Arch Meadery which just opened just outside Okotoks. Fantastic Black Currant dessert wine.

brandon
06-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Jackson Triggs is another awesome place to visit!

lelalong
06-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Summerhill was nice
Grey Monk is cool too

JWL
06-04-2008, 11:03 AM
I did the Spring Wine Fest this past May and did a bunch of tours (18 in 3 days). My favourite ones are:
Grey Monk - amazing patio, scenary and food

Quail's Gate - great food and wine (make sure you make reservations)

See Ya Later Ranch - it's kinda out of the way, but I love their wine, plus they have an interesting story to why they named their place.

Rollingdale - a newbie that started up not too long ago. They don't have a fancy wine tasting room, the tasting is actually held where they hold all their barrels. Plus if you don't mind parking your car next to a pile of manure. LOL...

House of Rose - The guy who owns the place looks like Grizzly Adams, he has been in the wine industry for a long time and won a lot of awards. Plus, this was the cheapest place for a bottle of wine, and it tastes amazing. This place is also kinda out of the way.

Blasted Church - They have a really nice Rose. Never thought I would like blush wines, but they are making a come back and it's actually really refreashing for the summer.

There are a couple more that I really enjoyed but I can't remember the names... They are smaller venues unlike the Mission Hills, Summerhill, etc. PM me if you are interested in getting them.

sputnik
06-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Blasted Church :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nbaker00
06-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by JWL

Quail's Gate - great food and wine (make sure you make reservations)

I went to school for a year with the Stewart families son (Stewart family owns Quail's Gate winery)...
He always brought wine for his teachers...They must of liked it because he always got better grades then anyone else:dunno:

PHX
06-05-2008, 10:16 AM
If you ever go to Blasted Church in Okanagan Falls try the Hatfields Fuse (blended wine) it's to die for. They sell out of it every fall due to the high demand and low supply.

RC-Cola
06-05-2008, 12:46 PM
I would also HIGHLY recommend to try some of the smaller wineries instead of all the big tourist ones like Grey Monk, Mission Hill and Summer Hill.

The smaller wineries are always willing to chat about their product, taste all day and more often than not they will have better product then the big wineries.

Instead of Grey Monk (which you can get in easily in Calgary) I would stop right beside it at Arrowleaf, fantastic wines...

I would stop at Mission Hill though as it is a massive winery with great views and a cool tour.

On the Naramata Bench I would definately stop at LaFrenz, Lake Breeze, Red Rooster and Therapy Vineyards. The others are good too, these are highly recommended.

Further South in Oliver area there are tons of get bigger body wineries (reds). Nip K'mipt, Burrowing Owl and Black Sage vineyards are all top notch! :thumbsup:

Enjoy and remember to spit every once in a while before you get drunk and :barf:

ekguy
06-05-2008, 02:22 PM
thanks for the info guys this weekend we're going on the offensive and calling up all camp grounds we can find and as soon as we find one with an empty spot we're booking for a solid week. Should be fun. We're going to do a couple bed and breakfast as well. But we're still going to leave our site up so we don't have to reserve at more than one spot. We left our shit for a whole night 3 weeks ago in Creston and came back with everything intact. So we figure just leaving the tents for a night and packing the car again should be fine.

We'll look into all these wineries you posted. We want to visit maybe just one or 2 since a day or 2 is going to be used just relaxing at the camp ground chilling out with some beer.

JWL
06-05-2008, 03:45 PM
If you haven't booked your B&B place, A View to Remember is a great place and the hosts were amazing, as well as their breakfasts.:drool:

B_Tran
07-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by JWL
If you haven't booked your B&B place, A View to Remember is a great place and the hosts were amazing, as well as their breakfasts.:drool:

Any other B&B place's you guys have experienced in the Okanagan area? A View to Remember is booked up this weekend.

Thanks.

bigboom
07-03-2008, 09:43 AM
make sure you hit la frenz...i didnt mind sumac ridge too.

ekguy
07-03-2008, 09:46 AM
keep em all coming. About a month exactly before we leave now. Everything is booked. Staying in Penticton 3 days, Peachland for 3 and then Creston for 1. Well Creston is the first day to break up the drive a bit.

LadyTurbo
07-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Quail's Gate and Mission Hill are my faves to visit... I've heard the tour at Summerhill is cool because of the pyramid. Someone once told me about this tiny, tiny little winery... I've never been to it, but apparently it's pretty awesome. It's called Little Straw I think. Might be worth looking into :dunno:

JWL
07-03-2008, 11:47 AM
^^^ Yep Little Straw.... Went there when they were about to close and the owner wasn't in a very good mood. He was complaining about having his wines at a competition and paying for it and how biased they were, etc. Kinda felt sorry for the guy, but I thought the wine was only OK.

Jlude
07-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by brandon
Jackson Triggs is another awesome place to visit!

You beat me to it.... by far my favorite merlot... and it's pretty cheap

ekguy
07-03-2008, 01:23 PM
not a big fan of any Merlot's but Jackson Triggs does serve very delicious wines. I can't wait to go out there.