PDA

View Full Version : Attempted Car Theft

Dragon X
08-23-2003, 11:16 PM
Someone tried to steal my car today while i was at work, this happnened between 3pm and 6pm. i have absolutly no idea how they got in my car because i locked that car and when i came back the car was still locked, windows were intact so how did they get in? all my ignition stuff is in a thousand pieces. they were unsuccessful because my lude had an immobilizer. im getting the car towed back home right now and my dad says he doesnt even know if my insurace will cover this... all the damage was with the steering column, ignition, back steat pulled and bent 150 cds gone and they were for sure under my hood cause 2 fuses were pulled and the fuse cover was on the other side of the engine bay. when the car gets home i will do a more thorough check. I called the cops and they said they dont come out on sight for stuff like this and will get back to me on monday or tuesday, thats what really ticked me off!!!

BTW this was at the marlborough mall parking lot. GRRRRRRRRR! does anyone know how much damage this is? around 3000? cause the whole ignition gotta be replaced and theirs like 40 peices of broken circuit board crap on the floor.

Khyron
08-24-2003, 01:11 AM
But you can bet your ass if you were speeding they'd be onsite for you. Our police force at work... (or more specifically government).

Khyron

Kamen
08-24-2003, 02:14 AM
That sucks man, I've never really heard of an unsuccessful attempt like this though...
Hope everything works out for you guy

Abom
08-24-2003, 02:22 AM
We can assume they either picked your locks, or went through the trunk, through the backseat, and into the front (since you said your back seat was all fucked up). I think it's time you bought a real alarm, since as you can see, an immobilizer saved you from your car getting stolen, but now it's all fucked up with at least over $1000 in damage (probably more, no idea exactly what you need replacing). In retrospect, it would have been better for you, money/insurance wise, if they had stolen the whole thing and you never would have seen it again.

Again, go buy an alarm.

Sky
08-24-2003, 02:36 AM
these guys are pro man...my gf's 2000 lude was broken into I think a year ago.....they somehow got the driver window down abit to unlock the door with some hook ....pop the hood...disc the security then their done.....took the deck and tried to start it by wiring and stuff......but unsuccessful due to the immobilizer...

Abom
08-24-2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Sky
these guys are pro man...my gf's 2000 lude was broken into I think a year ago.....they somehow got the driver window down abit to unlock the door with some hook ....pop the hood...disc the security then their done.....took the deck and tried to start it by wiring and stuff......but unsuccessful due to the immobilizer...

Again, that's cool that they're "pros" and that they couldn't steal the car because of the immobilizer. However, there is damage done to the car, radio deck obviously, and from what you say and wiring "and stuff", they messed up the ignition pretty badly. Like I said to Dragon X, it would have been better if they'd have stolen the whole thing, you'd be better covered by the insurance.

And again I said, alarms are the answer.

Mr.Buffy
08-24-2003, 07:48 AM
This happened to me a few years ago.
I think what happened with me is they managed to get a coat-hanger between the top of the window and seal on the drivers-side door. After that, all they did was flip the power-locks switch and that's it. I still have a dent on the top of my door where they had to pry through.
They too tried to steal my car but were unsuscessful. I had pieces of wires and shit everywhere. I don't remember how much it cost, but I think it was over a grand. When you get your car fixed, make sure they do it right because mine did not get fixed properly and now my airbags are not working. My cruise control is tied with that too so it doesn't work either. Honda said they tried to reset it but it didn't work so they have to go through the entire wiring, etc to find out what's wrong.

RiceCake
08-24-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Sky

Originally posted by Abom

Again, that's cool that they're "pros" and that they couldn't steal the car because of the immobilizer. However, there is damage done to the car, radio deck obviously, and from what you say and wiring "and stuff", they messed up the ignition pretty badly. Like I said to Dragon X, it would have been better if they'd have stolen the whole thing, you'd be better covered by the insurance.

And again I said, alarms are the answer.

:rolleyes: There was an alarm dude....:rolleyes:

spiceboy
08-24-2003, 04:57 PM
Hey X ... my Prelude went through the same thing about 4 months ago ... I didn't claim insurace (they DO cover this kinda thing) because my deductible wasn't low enough ... not worth jacking up the premium.
Anyway ... I ended up spending $1010 to have the entire ignition housing replaced .. that's parts+labor. But what sucks though .. is that you'll have to get a new key from Honda because the new ignition comes with a whole new set of keys (and imobilizer) ... and the fact that since your locks are still intact ... you will have to carry 2 keys at all times with you. One is to start your car, the other is for all the locks in your car (door, trunk, backseat lock, glove compartment).

Abom
08-24-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by RiceCake
:rolleyes: There was an alarm dude....:rolleyes:

From what he said, I'm assuming that "secuirty" meant the stock anti-theft "honk honk" of the car's horn. If he had a real alarm, then I'd suggest a new and better install including steel wire braiding, so they can't cut the wires anymore. I spent well over $1000 on my alarm system, and cut no corners on it. No point in customizing a car if someone's going to steal it or damage it.

lammer
08-24-2003, 08:13 PM

From what he said, I'm assuming that "secuirty" meant the stock anti-theft "honk honk" of the car's horn. If he had a real alarm, then I'd suggest a new and better install including steel wire braiding, so they can't cut the wires anymore. I spent well over $1000 on my alarm system, and cut no corners on it. No point in customizing a car if someone's going to steal it or damage it.

just cause you got an alarm doesn't mean jack.

so what if i can't steal it.
ill smash all your windows? slash your tires? sledge hammer your doors in?
theres your 1000+ dollars well spent on alarm that was suppose to keep people from stealing or damaging it?

4wheeldrift
08-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Realistically, if someone wants to steal or damage your car, they're going to do it regardless of how many zillions of dollars you spent on your alarm.

Anyhow, your insurance SHOULD cover this, if you decide to go to them, assuming you have fire/theft/vandalism coverage.

kevie88
08-24-2003, 08:30 PM
"The police are powerless to help you, not punish you!"
-Chief Wiggam

Abom
08-24-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by lammer
just cause you got an alarm doesn't mean jack.

so what if i can't steal it.
ill smash all your windows? slash your tires? sledge hammer your doors in?
theres your 1000+ dollars well spent on alarm that was suppose to keep people from stealing or damaging it?

Doubt it. First off, people usually won't touch your car if you have an alarm on it, simply because a sounding alarm normally attracts the attention of other people, and since I usually don't park in some field in the middle of nowhere, other people are always close.

Secondly, my sirens are loud enough to cause you to go deaf within 8 seconds, in the middle of replacing them to be able to cause permanent hearing damage. Last time I checked, someone isn't going to risk going deaf over stealing a CD deck.

Lastly, the best thing is the LCD 2-way pager. If it goes off, I return to my car and see what's up.

So as you can see, an alarm CAN deter 95% of thieves and assholes alike. Sure there's the 5% that don't even care if they're caught and go to jail, but there's nothing at all you can do about those. But hey, if people want to do deaf for the rest of their life just to smash my windows in, go ahead :)

szw
08-24-2003, 09:45 PM
Having a 'super' alarm as you abom works well for cars people don't really want to steal.

That shit can all be bypassed, but if the cars not worth the trouble whats the point?

So best security system? shitty car!

joking...kinda..haa

Abom
08-24-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by szw
Having a 'super' alarm as you abom works well for cars people don't really want to steal.

That shit can all be bypassed, but if the cars not worth the trouble whats the point?

So best security system? shitty car!

joking...kinda..haa

lol, actually, a couple people have tried to steal my car on occasion, hence why I spent so much on the alarm system. It can all be bypassed, yep, but you'll go deaf over it. Is it worth stealing a car if you're going to go deaf over it? :)

4wheeldrift
08-24-2003, 09:51 PM
Two words: ear plugs

Abom
08-24-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Two words: ear plugs

Better be some pretty tight ones, lol, that and the whole neighbourhood would wake up to those sirens. Oh, that and you'd have no idea beforehand how loud my alarm is, so you wouldn't come with ear plugs obviously.

Khyron
08-24-2003, 10:07 PM
Bounce the car to set off the alarm, hide in the bushes. Abom comes wandering out to see who messed with his car, stick a screw driver against his head and ask nicely for the keys. Your alarm has been rendered useless. If you give some stupid "Im a ninja" excuse, substitute screwdriver for a pistol.

You make the security system TOO good the thieves go through you. It's a big problem with home alarms now as well.

Insure your stuff well, regardless of security systems.

Khyron

Abom
08-24-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Bounce the car to set off the alarm, hide in the bushes. Abom comes wandering out to see who messed with his car, stick a screw driver against his head and ask nicely for the keys. Your alarm has been rendered useless. If you give some stupid "Im a ninja" excuse, substitute screwdriver for a pistol.

You make the security system TOO good the thieves go through you. It's a big problem with home alarms now as well.

Insure your stuff well, regardless of security systems.

Of course, gotta have good insurance :) But then, good old Abom has a second remote to the alarm, and as the idiot drives away, sets it off sending piercing sound throughout the enclosed cabin, thief goes deaf, no ninja tactics required :rofl:

4wheeldrift
08-24-2003, 10:22 PM
There's nothing wrong with having faith in your alarm, but don't let a good alarm lull you into a false sense of security.

lammer
08-24-2003, 10:34 PM

Doubt it. First off, people usually won't touch your car if you have an alarm on it, simply because a sounding alarm normally attracts the attention of other people, and since I usually don't park in some field in the middle of nowhere, other people are always close.

Secondly, my sirens are loud enough to cause you to go deaf within 8 seconds, in the middle of replacing them to be able to cause permanent hearing damage. Last time I checked, someone isn't going to risk going deaf over stealing a CD deck.

Lastly, the best thing is the LCD 2-way pager. If it goes off, I return to my car and see what's up.

So as you can see, an alarm CAN deter 95% of thieves and assholes alike. Sure there's the 5% that don't even care if they're caught and go to jail, but there's nothing at all you can do about those. But hey, if people want to do deaf for the rest of their life just to smash my windows in, go ahead :)

yeah by the time you get back to your car with your 2way pager. the guy is down the street running laughing his ass off because you can't drive your car off. 4 of your tires are slashed, your hood is welted in by a baseball bat and your windows..don't even get me started.

Abom
08-24-2003, 10:40 PM
yeah by the time you get back to your car with your 2way pager. the guy is down the street running laughing his ass off because you can't drive your car off. 4 of your tires are slashed, your hood is welted in by a baseball bat and your windows..don't even get me started.

And the thief is deaf. This argument goes no where, lol, one can only do so much with an alarm, what else can you do? I've done the best I can, if someone still does something, oh well, I can't help it.

lammer
08-24-2003, 10:43 PM

And the thief is deaf. This argument goes no where, lol, one can only do so much with an alarm, what else can you do? I've done the best I can, if someone still does something, oh well, I can't help it.

how sensitive is your alarm?

Abom
08-24-2003, 10:50 PM
how sensitive is your alarm?

? Shock sensor sensitive ? Or how loud is it you mean ?

lammer
08-24-2003, 10:56 PM
shock sensor sensitive.

Abom
08-24-2003, 11:05 PM
shock sensor sensitive.

Sensitive enough to go off if someone slashes my tires, hits my hood with a bat, breaks a window, etc.

lammer
08-24-2003, 11:07 PM
what if someone dinged your door?

Abom
08-24-2003, 11:18 PM
what if someone dinged your door?

Depends on how hard the ding. Hard enough to make a mark / make a small dent / leave a scratch, yes.

lammer
08-24-2003, 11:30 PM

Depends on how hard the ding. Hard enough to make a mark / make a small dent / leave a scratch, yes.

maybe one day your alarm will kick you in your ass when you have kids or a wife who accidently run the shopping cart into your car and they go deaf.
or what if your elderly parents accidently banged your door while getting out of theirs. sorry again its cause your super technology alarm that made them that way haah.

Abom
08-24-2003, 11:33 PM
maybe one day your alarm will kick you in your ass when you have kids or a wife who accidently run the shopping cart into your car and they go deaf.
or what if your elderly parents accidently banged your door while getting out of theirs. sorry again its cause your super technology alarm that made them that way haah.

If they run a shopping cart into my car, then good, they SHOULD go deaf, fuck em.

Dragon X
08-24-2003, 11:54 PM
hmm just found out from my dad who is in seattle on vacation and he said that the car is covered one way or something meaning that im covered only if the other person is at fault in an aaccident, if its my fault then im not covered, i think he is talking about third party coverage or something. i dont know if this sort of thing is covered...damn

ApexDrift
08-26-2003, 07:02 PM
from what i know....if people want to steal your car if or if not you have a alarm theyre gunna grab it... and thats for sure... alarms fors ure halp but like i said if they want it theyll grab it

Ben
08-26-2003, 07:05 PM
If someone wants your car their gonna take it, an alarm is just a deterrent for small timers.

Azncowboy
08-27-2003, 12:29 AM
Damn Ab, sorry to hear that...it's Marlbrough ...we've been through all that BS before. guess u gots to walk it to work now man. :(

Melinda
08-27-2003, 01:55 AM
Seriously, alarms go off and people dont give a crap...especially in mall parking lots, they go off all the time...theives are getting so good they can jack a car or steal something from it in less then 30 seconds and still look like their the dumb owner of the car who didnt remember to disarm his alarm...and seriously, even if someone saw someone breaking into someone's car, very few people would actually do anything...and abom i know you're gonna jump in with "deaf deaf blah blah" but who cares? takes a matter of seconds to cut a wire on an alarm if you know where to go looking for it...

max_boost
08-27-2003, 03:07 AM
When I locked my keys in my bimma awhile back, the locksmith and I broke into the car effortlessly. It is a lot easier than some people think. I was quite shocked as a matter of fact!

Anyway, sorry to hear about what happened. I just think it's luck of the draw. Everyone at one point or another will get shit jacked from them. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is!

Khyron
08-27-2003, 11:46 AM
Any enclosure that is half covered in glass is never going to be secure. Dont keep expensive crap in your car, insure everything else.

:guns: thieving punks...

Khyron

fast95pony
08-27-2003, 12:07 PM
I don't leave valuables in my car. I definately wouldn't leave 150 CD's in it. A car isn't a very secure place. A determined thief will get into your car if he wants,unfortunately...:(

nickyh
08-27-2003, 12:49 PM
I see a trend here.
I had an '00 'Lude, during G-8 some punks broke into my car though the passenger door. My immobilzer worked and they only blew my electrical - but it was the sadest sight I saw having my car on the back of a tow truck.
It cost my insurance company $2700.

The cops filed it under property damage so my rate was not affected.

lammer
08-27-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
I don't leave valuables in my car. I definately wouldn't leave 150 CD's in it. A car isn't a very secure place. A determined thief will get into your car if he wants,unfortunately...:(

yeah them fuckers can try and steal my 10 dollar rear view ricer mirror! haha.

illeagle
09-04-2003, 01:30 AM
This guy down the street used to have a nice prelude, Every paycheck He'd by something new for his car, This car was Nice He also had the compustar 2 way, and the club, but his car still got stolen, How? Tow truck, thats what his neighbor says, Some theives have BALLS, I've even heard of people going under cars, and Hack-sawing mufflers off, Crazy!

nickyh
09-04-2003, 06:47 AM
I originally come from South Africa and towing a car was the only way theives could steal your car.
Seen our anti-hijacking protection installed on most BMW's - it even made CNN, that'll explain our theft rate there!

Even the best alarm system, ignition kill, whatever you have installed is no match for a tow truck!