PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone suggest any proven ways for weight loss?????

Niassa
06-04-2008, 03:54 AM
Hi everyone, I have been really obsessed with my weight problem. I am a 33 year old female and have gained 90lbs which makes the count to 210. I recently took out some of my summer clothes and they don’t fit me anymore!!! This is a real tragedy for me. How can I not wear the ones I adore...moreover the new look is getting me mad (with the comments from my friends). I know quite a few ways to start losing weight…….but I don’t really feel that, with so many people failing using these methods that I will make it through. Does anyone know a proven way to reduce the weight?

Please help me…..this is killing me!!!

badseed
06-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Regular exercise and a healthy diet, simple as that. This is the best proven way to lose, manage and maintain a healthy body weight and more importantly a healthy lifestyle. It will not be an easy transition and be prepared to put in a lot of hard work.

I'd suggest seeking professional help, ie. personal trainer for program design, registered dietician for meal planning. You'll get alot of misleading and false information on this board regarding weight loss. There are alot of methods to lose weight, what you have to remeber is; you want to lose body fat, NOT water and NOT muscle mass because this will cause you to depress you metabolism and ultimately lead to more weight gain in the long term. That is why Diets are so heavily frowned upon in the fitness industry. To be succesful it is crucial you find a balance in your life with regular exercise, a healthy diet and controlled occasions where you enjoy the foods you crave. This is an approach that can be realistically maintained for life as oppose to few weeks/months of rapid weight loss which will not provide you with long term results.

Record your main goal and write down all the smaller necessary steps to reach that goal, baby steps are key, and a gradual process is the best approach.

Kona9
06-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by badseed
Regular exercise and a healthy diet, simple as that. This is the best proven way to lose, manage and maintain a healthy body weight and more importantly a healthy lifestyle. It will not be an easy transition and be prepared to put in a lot of hard work.

I'd suggest seeking professional help, ie. personal trainer for program design, registered dietician for meal planning. You'll get alot of misleading and false information on this board regarding weight loss. There are alot of methods to lose weight, what you have to remeber is; you want to lose body fat, NOT water and NOT muscle mass because this will cause you to depress you metabolism and ultimately lead to more weight gain in the long term. That is why Diets are so heavily frowned upon in the fitness industry. To be succesful it is crucial you find a balance in your life with regular exercise, a healthy diet and controlled occasions where you enjoy the foods you crave. This is an approach that can be realistically maintained for life as oppose to few weeks/months of rapid weight loss which will not provide you with long term results.

Record your main goal and write down all the smaller necessary steps to reach that goal, baby steps are key, and a gradual process is the best approach.

The only advice you need!!! Keep your mental health in check as well. That is the strongest tool you can have while reaching your goals!!!

Proper eating and exercise in the correct formats are all you are after!!

Good luck!

Anton
06-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Remember that most people also fail because they lack dedication/discipline not necessarily because their routine doesn't work.

Just eat healthier and exercise. Good luck.

G-Suede
06-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Niassa
Hi everyone, I have been really obsessed with my weight problem. I am a 33 year old female and have gained 90lbs which makes the count to 210. I recently took out some of my summer clothes and they don’t fit me anymore!!! This is a real tragedy for me. How can I not wear the ones I adore...moreover the new look is getting me mad (with the comments from my friends). I know quite a few ways to start losing weight…….but I don’t really feel that, with so many people failing using these methods that I will make it through. Does anyone know a proven way to reduce the weight?

Uh, stop eating so much, and exercise vigorously every day.

And I guess I'll be the first to say: pics or ban. :D

Tik-Tok
06-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Anton
Remember that most people also fail because they lack dedication/discipline not necessarily because their routine doesn't work.

Just eat healthier and exercise. Good luck.

+1 DEDICATION!

No cheating... no "well I've worked so hard, I can have a cheat day" that turns into a cheat week, etc.

Daily cardio. If it's possible, ride your bike to work everyday. My wife has started that, and she's loving it, takes her 20min. each way, that's 40 min. of cardio a day 5 times a week, which is an awesome start.

rage2
06-04-2008, 09:41 AM
IY_sZyiCA6o

haha seriously, it works. I cut down my portions by about 30% 2 years ago, stopped drinking pop till dinner, and kept most of my weight down.

EG STyLeZ
06-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Start with your diet and what you eat. Cut down on sugary or starchy foods, then cut down on your fat consumption. Then worry about exercising regularly.

Kona9
06-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by G-Suede

Uh, stop eating so much, and exercise vigorously every day.

And I guess I'll be the first to say: pics or ban. :D

Alright....who broke the bottle of 08 intelligence and spilled it all over this thread?

B18C
06-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Calculate how many calories you use in a day with the following:

http://www.shapefit.com/dailycalorie-calc.html

Then eat less than that.

Easiest way is to help with that is cut out any high-caloric drinks (eg. pop and juice), stay away from diet drinks as well as there is evidence that they still raise your insulin levels. Eat more whole grains, and eat less sweets.

Then start with an exercise plan to build muscle mass to increase your metabolism.

Ben
06-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Understand there is no miracle weight loss pill. You will not lose weight without increasing your exercise and increasing your calories taken in to calories burned deficit.

Understand it wont be easy, you have two things going hugely against you. Your female, crappier metabolism than guys (hense why you can see guys drop well over 10 lbs a week when they start a new program), and be, your age, things are starting to slow down.

Until there's a pill that is $1000 a bottle guaranteeing safe and permanent weight loss, stick to a sensible diet and routine fat burning exercises like long varied terrain walks or HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Get to a routine and stay with it. Your friends want to go out, tell them you cant, you have to be responsible for your actions and have the self control to stick with it. If your friends are true friends they’ll understand, and encourage it, as well as make it easier for you by inviting you to healthier environments. Ensure you’re getting the proper nutrients, cut out the crap!!!!! (I lost 20 lbs just by doing nothing more than discontinuing the 6 cans of pop I’d drink a day), take your EFA’s and drink more green tea. Once you stop dropping some pounds and build up the stamina, increase the intensity and duration, you'll be lean eventually.

I lost 60 lbs doing that.

gretz
06-05-2008, 11:38 AM
no pills - drink water as a substitute for everything (no pop, coffee)
-eat healthy regular meals (no between meals)
-dont starve yourself, it will store fat + leave loose skin
-stay stress free

Cocaine worked for a lot of my buddies in Ontario

badatusrnames
06-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Fewer calories in than out...

Oldskool
06-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Go talk to your doctor. your doc could probably give you a food chart of what foods to eat/avoid, plus you should go get checked up every once in a while while on a plan to loe weight, to make sure that your health never deteriorates.

~Leah~
06-05-2008, 12:55 PM
As a woman, it can totally depend on your body type. I've seen many as a former personal trainer. Personally, working out for me causes me to bulk up because I gain muscle like crazy! I never used to preach about it or do it myself much, but now that I've had a kid, I will be the first to say what you eat will affect 80% of your weight loss. Eat healthy, eat lots of protein, and exercise regularly.... your exercise regimen will change depending on your body type of course, but that's where a good trainer comes in.

EDIT: As much as I didn't want to do it, I cut back on milk and carbs. I used to drink 2L of milk/day and eat pasta like no other. I now have a class of milk a day and will only eat a very small serving of pasta maybe once a week.... I am now at a weight I haven't seen since I hit puberty 10 years ago!!!

broken_legs
06-05-2008, 10:39 PM
This is proven:

http://www.kettlebellplanet.com/velocity.html

Whether its healthy or not, thats debatable. However, fat isn't healthy either.

Once you achieve your target weight you're going to have to change up your whole lifestyle to maintain it and not fall off the wagon.

fcukda
06-05-2008, 10:54 PM
eat subway everyday

vtec4life
06-09-2008, 03:32 PM
One extra piece of advice i can give on top of Niassa's comment which is exactly right, is that working out the legs does wonders for the whole body since they are such big muscles. One good leg workout can increase the metabolism for up to 36 hours!! and also boosts testosterone so for the next day workout you'll feel even stronger already!

bituerbo
06-10-2008, 04:00 AM
Girl from NewYork signs up, makes one post about weight then disappears. Post format looks/copy pasted, too.
(edit: okay, reading her post thoroughly a 2nd time makes me REALLY thing this is spam, I'm half expecting another JUN-08 registration to come along with some 'proven' results that cost $$$)

bituerbo
06-10-2008, 04:04 AM
http://forums.dietpower.com/post.asp?method=TopicQuote&TOPIC_ID=2367&FORUM_ID=3
http://talk.hairboutique.com/get_last_post.asp?FID=8
http://www.sleeps.com/forums/general-chit-chat/14964-2.htm

I FUCKING WIN, BITCHES!!!

Sauna Man
07-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

dropdat
07-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

+1 DEDICATION!

No cheating... no "well I've worked so hard, I can have a cheat day" that turns into a cheat week, etc.

You can have one cheat day, I have one every 2 weeks or so. You just have to make sure that you have enough self control to go back to your regular diet after that one day.

OP_SIHOTA
07-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Losing weight is easy..
If you eat less calories in a day, then you need to sustain your body weight, you'll lose calories.
If you eat more calories then you need, you'll gain weight.

It's really not that difficult. You can work out, and increase your cardio expenditure... that'll help you lose weight. Couple that with a more restricted diet and you'll drop pounds like crazy.

It's really not that hard to lose weight, in fact, to lose weight you have to do nothing at all...
To gain weight you have to eat...

old&slow
07-25-2008, 05:46 PM

During the winter months I was just about hitting 220 lbs on our home scale...I decided after many many months that I needed to do something. So when the weather got nicer I started walking for an hour to 2 hours on weekends and some evenings. I also started vigorous 1 hour roller blading and alternating cycling.

I'm now below 195 lbs. And I am heading for 180.
Easy? Not a chance. It hurts. But overall I feel much better.
I cleaned up my diet somewhat as well. Greasy fatty food are out. No eating after supper. Loads of fruit. And I mean lots...I eat it like some eat candy.

It's taken a couple months to get where I am and I fugure a couple more will get me to 180.

GL

Graham_A_M
07-25-2008, 05:57 PM

you should try herbal magic. I knew two ladies a few years younger then you (sisters) that went on that program. They went from your wieght to 110 pound hotties in only a few months.

I dont know what it is, but that program worked amazingly well. They still look great, and have gained none of the wieght back. No hypnosis or odd crash diets, just commitment and a change of food intake seems to be all they did.

You should see them today, the program worked amazingly well. :eek:

old&slow
07-25-2008, 07:55 PM
I've heard some good things about eating for your blood type. Naturopathic stuff. Don't know much about it personally!

Google?

JoniBoy
07-25-2008, 08:10 PM
did no one even see bituerbo's post??:dunno:

old&slow
07-29-2008, 05:37 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7530345.stm

Civ2NR
07-29-2008, 08:31 AM
I agree with what people have said so far. A few other things you can do to boost your metabolism and help you burn those calories, thus leading to the "burn more calories than you consume" advice:

- Don't skip out on breakfast
- drink lots of water throughout the day
- Eat whole grains
- green tea instead of coffee
- Try to stay away from processed foods as much as possible...stick to the outside isles at the supermarket.
- smaller portions 5-6 times a day rather than 3 big meals
- No carbs within 3 hrs of going to bed

OP_SIHOTA
08-11-2008, 02:51 PM
From someone who has lost considerable weight in the past. With the exception of ECA, there is nothing out there that works to lose weight. All you have to do is stop eating as many calores, and you'll drop pounds.
Things that got me on the right track: I cut out sugars, went to diet pop, brown breads. Saved calories wherever I could.
After that I cut out pretty much everything bad, one at a time.

Very easy...

HIDStop
08-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
http://forums.dietpower.com/post.asp?method=TopicQuote&TOPIC_ID=2367&FORUM_ID=3
http://talk.hairboutique.com/get_last_post.asp?FID=8
http://www.sleeps.com/forums/general-chit-chat/14964-2.htm

I FUCKING WIN, BITCHES!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

UndrgroundRider
08-13-2008, 05:03 AM

Lots of women at my office attend a "bootcamp" exercise group after work. There are lots of them in town. Basically you end up with one or two trainers and a class of 10-20 people. They work your bag off for an hour or two. It's a really good idea if you have a discipline or motivation issue.