PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Wedding Photos

SilverGS
06-04-2008, 10:18 AM
I am the photographer for a friends wedding and was wondering if there are any tips from some of you experienced photogs out there.

I have a Canon 40D that I got this past christmas and am still learning the ins and outs of taking good photos

I do not currently have a flash other then the built-in flash. I was thinking of picking one up for this.

The lenses I have are EFS 17-85 4.0-5.6, 50mm 1.8 and 70-300 4L.

Any tips or tricks on settings or anything really would be much appreciated

Thanks

jdmakkord
06-04-2008, 10:38 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/198295/some-questions-about-wedding-photography/

em2ab
06-04-2008, 10:44 AM
I've been doing wedding photography for a number of years, just make sure you got all your possible requests covered:
- bride and groom
- bride and her parents
- groom and his parents
- bride, groom, all parents
- bride's family shot
- groom's family shot
- bridal party
- groomsmen
- bride with each member of bridal party
- groom with each groomsman
- candid shot with groom and best man (optional)
- parents on each side done together, separately
- groom by himself

Then you have the bride.....the one you really have to work with for a while.......
- garter shot (optional)
- bride with flower bouquet
- bride with veil
- bride with train
- bride in many, many, many different poses

Try to stay away from using a background and do the pictures outside if possible. Put the sun behind the subjects so it lights up the background but doesn't make them squint. Let the flash light up their skin tones.

Then, before you go, pose the:
- cutting of the cake
- first dance
- rings

And you're out before the reception starts.

SilverGS
06-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/198295/some-questions-about-wedding-photography/

Thanks

I did a search but didn't see it. Maybe didn't go back far enough.

Sounds like it would be a good idea to invest in a flash and extra battery. Maybe even rent a better lens.

I have been backup before with normal P&S cameras but this is my first with the nicer camera and being the main camera person. My friends are fairly laid back and already got some professional ones done so there is no pressure. I just want to do the best job I can.

D'z Nutz
06-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
I've been doing wedding photography for a number of years, just make sure you got all your possible requests covered:

<snip>

I always have the couple put together the photo list, cause you're never 100% sure who's going to be there or not and who's important enough to be in the photos.

Originally posted by SilverGS
Sounds like it would be a good idea to invest in a flash and extra battery. Maybe even rent a better lens.

A better idea would be to rent a backup body. There's nothing wrong with the lenses you got now; they're certainly not show stoppers especially if they're focal lengths you're comfortable with. If you're going to get a flash, make sure you spend a lot of time practicing with it beforehand and trying different things. There's a lot more to flash photography than lighting up people's faces. Flash in the wrong hands can make some really ugly photos.

sputnik
06-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS

Believe it or not. My wife shoots her weddings almost exclusively with two lenses.

- 50mm f1.4 USM (portraits)
- 70-200mm f2.8 USM IS L (ceremony, reception and some portraits)

She will only break out a wide angle lens for a couple artsy shots if needed.

Renting a backup body is ALWAYS a good idea.

Also if you are getting a flash buy a Gary Fong Lightsphere while you are at it.

qrankz
06-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Ya I got a wedding to do too this summer.

I say flash, fong sphere, extra body, extra batteries and extra cf cards.

I'll be renting a fisheye and a 24-70 2.8
Should be interesting.

And like D'z Nutz says..play with your flash in a lot of diff. lighting conditions and different settings. I've been reading a lot of strobist blogs and doing their assignments/homework. It's helped me understand flash a lot more.

Here's a link you can read too...

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index2.html

And here's a site that I like

http://www.flashflavor.com/2007/07/