PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some bicycle help

msommers
06-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Looking at picking up a new bike but in all honesty it has been so long since I have researched anything, I'm pretty much at the bottom again, knowledge wise. So I'm hoping some experienced and/or knowledgeable individuals could help me out.

I'm looking at biking on bike paths and also on offroad trails. Basically, avoiding all roads but not to the extreme of trick riding or downhill mountain biking (sorry I don't know what to call it!). Definitely would like some quality parts, not sure how badly I would need front suspension, light weight would be nice and obviously still comfortable for many hours. My budget is around 600-1000.

Any brands, particular models and quality parts that come to mind please let me know. Thanks in advance.

broken_legs
06-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Whatever bike you buy, dont waste your money on something from walmart or Costco oretc.. etcc.

You can tell a quality bike simply by looking at the components used on it.

My rule of thumb would be dont buy it if it has plastic pedals.

Dont buy it if it doesnt have brand name deraileur and etc...

EDIT: Giant and norco make some solid bikes in the 600-1000 range.

msommers
06-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs
Whatever bike you buy, dont waste your money on something from walmart or Costco oretc.. etcc.

You can tell a quality bike simply by looking at the components used on it.

My rule of thumb would be dont buy it if it has plastic pedals.

Dont buy it if it doesnt have brand name deraileur and etc...

EDIT: Giant and norco make some solid bikes in the 600-1000 range.

Thanks for the advice. What stores would you recommend? I believe the last bike I bought was from B&P Cycle.

Mitsu3000gt
06-05-2008, 09:55 AM
I would head down to Pedalhead (Technosport) in Avinita in the SW. They carry Giant, and in you're price range you can get a nice hardtail (front suspension only). Giant makes the frames for a lot of other manufactuers, and is one of the best value bikes out there. Lifetime frame warranty as well. I got a wicked deal on my bike there, and the post-purchase service is fantastic (i.e. discounts on pretty much all future purchases, fast turnaround on tuneups and such). They also organize a lot of group rides that are a good time. Really good bunch of guys running the place and a friend of mine used to work there.

I would recommend checking out a Giant XTC 1 or 2 if you want a hardtail, or a Trance 2 if you want a trail/XC full suspension bike. Both are around $700-$1000 if I remember correctly. Also keep in mind most front and even rear shocks these days can be locked out so its the same as riding a hard tail or rigid bike if your just on pavement sometimes and prefer that. Remember that there is always a little room to deal on bikes, so you shouldn't be paying sticker price. Also buy any accessories you need with the bike for maximum savings.

Not many trail bikes have super confortable seats, and I would certainly recommend buying a set of padded bike shorts to wear under your regular shorts or whatever.

One last thing to consider is that bikes depreciate very fast. If you look at the used market you can get a much nicer bike that is 1-2 years old, but you want to make sure it hasn't been abused. The best is finding someone whose been injured or forced to sell their bike for financial/moving reasons and sometimes you can get a bike that's been ridden just a couple of times for WAY less than it cost new. www.pinkbike.com is a good place to look for used if thats an option for you.

BlackArcher101
06-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Sounds like what you are looking for is a Cross Country bike. I recommend getting a hardtail. Doing without the rear shock will save some money which you can put towards a bike with better quality components.

I myself use a Rocky Mountain. Giants are very good as well. However, we could recommend tons of bikes, but the only thing that matters is how well you fit it and if you are confident on it. Best thing to do is visit a local bike shop, try a few bikes, then once you have a list of potential ones, research them and their components. Then come back here and ask which one you should get, then let the beyond arguing resume.

msommers
06-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks you two. I will try to get out this weekend and try some hardtail bikes and let you know :)

ExtraSlow
06-05-2008, 10:44 AM
swing by bow cycle as well. they have some pretty knowlegable staff who should be able to help you out.

civic_stylez
06-05-2008, 11:33 AM
pedalhead and cyclepath are both good and GIANT dealers. They will have something in your budget for sure.:thumbsup:

Stealth22
06-05-2008, 03:36 PM
I just bought a Norco from Bow Cycle recently. Nice store, really helpful staff. If you want I'll give you the name of the salesman, although it doesn't make much difference lol

teg_boya
06-05-2008, 03:39 PM
ya id recommend bowcycle as well.

most knowledgeable staff in the city and they carry bikes from your price range up to 5g +

LadyTurbo
06-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Ya definitely check out Bow Cycle! They're awesome over there.

msommers
06-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Thank you all for the recommendations. I did not realize before, but one of the guys at work used to work in a bike shop. Using the few minutes we had to figure out generally what I was looking for he recommended Kona and Devinci also with some hardtail/cross-country models. What I found interesting is that he mentioned GIANT is overpriced in comparison to Kona and Devinci. Has anyone had experience with either of these bikes?

Unfortunately for me, he gave me bike models at the very top end of my budget which are: Devinci Chamelon 3 & 4, Kona Cinder Cone, Scott Aspect 20. If these bikes are certainly worth the money, meaning they will last me a long time then I have no objections spending more.

BrknFngrs
06-05-2008, 05:30 PM
I have a kona roast and it is an amazing bike. When I was bike shopping I knew I wanted a Kona, though I tend to think you pay a slight premium. You could get something near identical (component wise) from another manufacturer, like Norco, for slightly less money.

That said I've never had a problem with my Kona and my next bike will be another Kona.

eblend
06-05-2008, 05:39 PM
I am looking to sell my almost new Specialized P2 that I haven't used in a few years. It's a sweet bike and hardly used, light as hell too with disk breaks and all the brand names on it. I can get real pics this weekend if you are interested. I live downtown now and the bike is at folks place, so i don't ride it anymore. I seriously used it maybe 10 times total, and not hardcore jumping or anything, just path riding and sometimes to work.

looks like this (general picture, not actual picture of MY bike, but looks pretty much the same)
http://www.chainedrevolution.com/members/Winston/photos/J-091204/P9120023.jpg

lint
06-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Thank you all for the recommendations. I did not realize before, but one of the guys at work used to work in a bike shop. Using the few minutes we had to figure out generally what I was looking for he recommended Kona and Devinci also with some hardtail/cross-country models. What I found interesting is that he mentioned GIANT is overpriced in comparison to Kona and Devinci. Has anyone had experience with either of these bikes?

Unfortunately for me, he gave me bike models at the very top end of my budget which are: Devinci Chamelon 3 & 4, Kona Cinder Cone, Scott Aspect 20. If these bikes are certainly worth the money, meaning they will last me a long time then I have no objections spending more.

Another :thumbsup: for Kona. I've got a Kona Caldera (same line as the Cinder Cone) from 1999. Still going strong. 2008 model is $100 cheaper than what I paid and with better parts....(grumble)

teg_boya
06-06-2008, 08:06 AM
ya i used to own a 03 kona stinky for dh and free riding and although it is a soft tail it held up very well through the many beatings it received. I love konas and they are more moderately priced now then ever before considering the components they are equipped with. +999 kona

Mitsu3000gt
06-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by msommers

When I was looking, Devinci's were way more money for the equivalent thing when compared to a Giant. Giant has always been know for their good value.

As for Kona, I don't know a lot about their hard tails but their DH bikes seem a little old fashioned compared to some other company's offerings IMO.

msommers
06-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Well I finally picked up my bike today. After shopping around and trying quite a few bikes, I settled with the Giant XTC1. I ended up buying it from Pedalhead as well. The knowledge and service there really surprised when compared to all the other stores I had gone to. Only complaint is the seat isn't very comfortable but I can go back and get a different one put on if it isn't working out after I grab some shorts. Biggest things I noticed:

Kona had really good gearing and decent braking. Overall good bike but something just wasn't fitting right for me. Fork was the best I thought. Kona apparently doesn't have a lifetime warranty on their frame either, which was the only company that didnt.

Devinci had the best overall fit but something about the gearing and brakes just wasn't happening. The bike looked straight out of the box but everything that moves was squeaking. I realize there is a break-in period but here is what is weird. I had him take another look it where he greased up some things. The fork and rear brake were fixed but the front was horrendous! The gearing still wasn't solid at all which really surprised me considering it had X7 front and back. Nice grips though...!

Service at all the places were pretty good but pedalhead honestly was far and beyond. He adjusted everything to fit me properly instead of "I need your license, try the alley for a ride" and tossed on some flats...the only company to change them for me. Bow cycle had some tune-ups to come along with it, a minor and major. Pedalhead said I could come in as many times as I want to have anything looked at or tuned up. Ridley's guys were nice but honestly didn't care if I bought the bike or not. Bow cycle was screamin busy when I went but it was obvious he was on commission, I personally hate that feeling.

Thanks again for all those who helped me out! Now to find some trails :)

Mitsu3000gt
06-21-2008, 05:21 PM
^^^ Nice choice, and I think you will be very happy dealing with pedalhead in the future as well.

Grogador
06-21-2008, 05:24 PM
You can mix n match components to your liking, especially the interface stuff like grips, pedals and seat... my stock seat was horrible as well but I got them to put on a Rx something, with a slot in the middle to take the load off your tailbone and whatnot, it's gold.