PDA

View Full Version : Recall documentation

Civ2NR
06-05-2008, 08:38 AM
How long have you had to wait for your recall documentation on imports from the US? I've been waiting over 5 weeks now.

It's one thing for them to somehow lobby the gov't/RIV to implement these rediculous fees and letters required from BMW Canada but when they do so to the point where you are effectively guaranteed to go outside of the 45 day window for getting it registered how can RIV turn a blind eye to that? I know bmw is just dragging their ass so people will buy here instead, but they should at least have timeline rules with which to abide. It's a friggin bmw letter head with the VIN saying "there are no recalls on this vehicle", 5 weeks, give me a break. Sorry for the rant.

nbaker00
06-05-2008, 08:41 AM
I imported an 01 M5 3 months ago and only just got my recall letter....
There's a good indication of timeframe.

benyl
06-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Civ2NR
How long have you had to wait for your recall documentation on imports from the US? I've been waiting over 5 weeks now.

It's one thing for them to somehow lobby the gov't/RIV to implement these rediculous fees and letters required from BMW Canada but when they do so to the point where you are effectively guaranteed to go outside of the 45 day window for getting it registered how can RIV turn a blind eye to that? I know bmw is just dragging their ass so people will buy here instead, but they should at least have timeline rules with which to abide. It's a friggin bmw letter head with the VIN saying "there are no recalls on this vehicle", 5 weeks, give me a break. Sorry for the rant.

What is the big deal?

Go to a mechanic and do you OOP. Register your car at the registry. Drive your car.

Civ2NR
06-05-2008, 08:54 AM
You can't pass the federal inspection without the documentation and you can't register until you've passed the federal inspection.

benyl
06-05-2008, 09:07 AM
haha, are you sure about that?

I registered my car after OOP. I know about 5 other guys that did the same.

nbaker00
06-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by benyl
haha, are you sure about that?

I registered my car after OOP. I know about 5 other guys that did the same.

Correct, all you need is the OOP inspection to be passed to register your car...

OOC and recall letter have nothing to do with it.. All those are are basically a letter stating your car is legal in Canada/ has no recalls.

Don't know what the OP is talking about.

Civ2NR
06-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Oh for christ sake! lol :banghead:

I went to AMA months ago and the girl said I needed the fed before registering. I had the OOP inspection done weeks ago.

Thanks fellas, I'm going to head back to registry this evening :guns:

ekcondon
06-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Crap, wish I would have known that too when I imported my 3000GT, however, I got my recall letter same day from Mitsubishi, they just faxed it right to me and I got the original in the mail roughly a week later. I've heard some of the luxury car makers (BMW, Lexus, etc) were a little slower but 5 months seems like something got lost in the mail.

nbaker00
06-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by ekcondon
Crap, wish I would have known that too when I imported my 3000GT, however, I got my recall letter same day from Mitsubishi, they just faxed it right to me and I got the original in the mail roughly a week later. I've heard some of the luxury car makers (BMW, Lexus, etc) were a little slower but 5 months seems like something got lost in the mail.

Well it took 2 weeks to apply for the letter and get it in there system... It then took 2.5 months to get an appointment at BMW for a "visual inspection" (@ $950 of course) and then another 2 weeks for them to mail it out.

Billy2
07-16-2008, 10:31 AM
So if I were to buy a BMW 335 from the states, after I bring it across the border, can I legally register and be insured to drive the vehicle without the bullshit bmw letter or the fed inspection?

clem24
07-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Basically, if RIV issues you a Form 2, then you don't need the recall clearance letter. Form 2 is what allows you to bring it into CT for inspection. If there is a recall outstanding or they don't know the status of the recall, then they will not issue you Form 2 and will request that you send them the clearance letter before they give you the form. Easy!

benyl
07-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Billy2
So if I were to buy a BMW 335 from the states, after I bring it across the border, can I legally register and be insured to drive the vehicle without the bullshit bmw letter or the fed inspection?

You can register it. But if you don't get form 2, you will have to re-export the car. I don't know if they give you your GST and Duty back if you do.

Without form 2, the car is illegal even if it is registered and insured.

To get form 2, you have to get a recall clearance letter from BMW.

Billy2
07-16-2008, 03:23 PM
so I cant drive the car until I get form 2...sob I hate how BMW is price discriminating against canadians.

anyways thanx for the info.

benyl
07-16-2008, 03:29 PM
No, you can drive it before form 2.

I thought you were asking if you were 'never' to get form 2.

clem24
07-17-2008, 08:08 AM
You can drive it... But Canadian Tire won't look at it until you have Form 1 + 2. No federal inspection, no stay in Canada.

I always thought you needed both Form 1 and Form 2 completed before you could register an US car? Or was it because you just needed OOP done. I do believe you can register a brand new US car with only Form 1 since you don't need OOP for that.

nbaker00
07-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by clem24
You can drive it... But Canadian Tire won't look at it until you have Form 1 + 2. No federal inspection, no stay in Canada.

I always thought you needed both Form 1 and Form 2 completed before you could register an US car? Or was it because you just needed OOP done. I do believe you can register a brand new US car with only Form 1 since you don't need OOP for that.

You only need form 1..
One of my customers is driving a car that has form 1 but doesn't even have a recall letter (therefore no form 2) yet lol

Billy2
07-17-2008, 01:41 PM
so how long can I go without form 2 before the car gets deported?

nbaker00
07-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Couple months at least before the threats start coming lol.
I just received 1 of the form 2s this morning that I've been waiting for a customer's car.