PDA

View Full Version : Trance & Prog scene in Calgary

Wildcat
06-05-2008, 01:30 PM
I've been away from the club scene in Calgary for some time. I'm wondering if there is any new venues out there playing trance & prog tunes? I only know of the warehouse, they often bring in quality acts to calgary. But other than that... :dunno: .

Any advice would be appreciated! Post your favorite spot or hidden gem!

civic_stylez
06-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Tantra usually does an ibiza week during stampede.. alot of good djs like markus schulz, G&D, and i think AVB came during that too..?

S13_Ryan
06-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
Tantra usually does an ibiza week during stampede.. alot of good djs like markus schulz, G&D, and i think AVB came during that too..?

^^ wow, wasnt aware. ill be sure to check into that.

Wildcat
06-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez

I heard that too, i think its a great idea. I'm sure theres many of us in the city who want an escape from the country and cowboy motif. I was able to dig up this years lineup on facebook, check it out;

---
Tantra Nightclub- 355 10th ave SW
Thursday July 3- Sunday July 13
Doors: 8pm

THURSDAY JULY 3

MARKUS SCHULZ- Miami- Trance - Armada / Cold Harbour Recordings
http://www.markusschulz.com
http://www.myspace.com/markusschulz

Opening Act: Web Straub

Advance Tickets: $20
----------------------------------------------------------------------
SUNDAY JULY 6

FERRY CORSTEN- Netherlands-Trance
http://www.ferrycorsten.com
http://www.myspace.com/ferrycorsten

Opening Act: Cary Chang

Advance Tickets: $30
MONDAY JULY 7

GLOBAL DEEJAYS- House/Electro
http://www.global-deejays.eu

Opening Act: Cary Chang

WEDNESDAY JULY 9

DAVE DRESDEN(GABRIEL AND DRESDEN) San Francisco- Progressive House/Trance/ Techno- http://

Opening Acts: Cary Chang and Terry Waychuk

THURSDAY JULY 10- Customer Appreciation Night

MARK OLIVER- Toronto- House/ Electro- Guvernment Nightclub Resident

Opening Act: Matthew Belleghem

Cover: FREE
SUNDAY JULY 13

JOEL MADDEN of GOOD CHARLOTTE- DJ SET

w/ Special Guest and DJ Kav

Advance Tickets $25
All Tickets are Available at Ticketmaster or Tantra Box Office

Festival Passes are $99 till July 1 and are good from July 3-13 for all nights and are only available at Tantra Box Office.
---

l/l/rX
06-06-2008, 02:05 PM
i heard of joel madden of good charlotte last night from a friend. i wonder how good he'll be... interesting to see, complete 180 in genres of music.

Graham_A_M
06-06-2008, 09:20 PM
There is this club (aparently, so I've heard) called " Soda " downtown, its all electronica.
:dunno:

black13
06-07-2008, 12:25 AM
above and beyond is going to be at the warehouse sat night.

Shogged
06-07-2008, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat
I've been away from the club scene in Calgary for some time. I'm wondering if there is any new venues out there playing trance & prog tunes? I only know of the warehouse, they often bring in quality acts to calgary. But other than that... :dunno: .

Any advice would be appreciated! Post your favorite spot or hidden gem!

Friction Houselife - Friday nights at Static Ultralounge would be another venue to check out, however its only friday nights as far as I know, rest of the week is like any other club.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=2262359604

thats a group for boodang music canada. They put on most, if not all of the "good" parties. Good place to visit to keep up to date with whos coming to town.

Other than that, Calgary doesn't have much else to offer.

If you don't mind the drive, Edmontons scene is quite literally 10 times the size of what it is here. I can list off tons of hot places if thats your gig!

Oh anddd, http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20052995168 is another promoter in western canada, has a few good shows coming up as well!

Hope that helps!

edit: forgot to add something about soda. soda has its good and bad days. its a very experimental atmosphere, and not something you would classify as trance or prog. most times i've been there, its reminded me of imogen heap type music, Mix of electronic and indie if you will. psy trance saturdays kick ass though, but they only happen once a month.

Wildcat
06-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by black13
above and beyond is going to be at the warehouse sat night.

ill be there :D

Ukyo8
06-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Above and Beyond at the Warehouse this friday, and Cosmic Gate the following friday.

black13
06-09-2008, 05:24 PM
sweet I'm going friday for sure.

arian_ma
06-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Go to the Amsterdam Rhino, great music!

PS, anyone going to that week of Ibiza at Tantra? Some great DJs are going to be here. Markus Schulz on Thursday, Cosmic Gate Friday, Ferry Corsten on Sunday, Global DJs on Monday I think, Dave Dresden on Wednesday!
I want to go to ALL of these, work is going to be non-existent that week.

Edit: Cosmic Gate is going to be at the Warehouse actually I think.

n1zm0
06-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Go to the Amsterdam Rhino, great music!

PS, anyone going to that week of Ibiza at Tantra? Some great DJs are going to be here. Markus Schulz on Thursday, Cosmic Gate Friday, Ferry Corsten on Sunday, Global DJs on Monday I think, Dave Dresden on Wednesday!
I want to go to ALL of these, work is going to be non-existent that week.

Edit: Cosmic Gate is going to be at the Warehouse actually I think.

loler, amsterdam rhino plays electronic downstairs... where it smells the worst! like a gym bag full of sweaty clothes.

dave dresden is going to great, i saw josh gabriel by himself at warehouse way back when, plays a mean set, wouldn't expect anything less from dave

too bad they broke up, would've loved to see both of them in the booth together (especially at tantra) like warehouse a while ago, or one on wednesday and one on thursday.

and speaking of the warehouse, sick, i'll only go there if i absolutely want to see the dj venue.
and
good luck getting on the dance floor for ferry.. especially at tantra :thumbsdow

arian_ma
06-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

loler, amsterdam rhino plays electronic downstairs... where it smells the worst! like a gym bag full of sweaty clothes.

dave dresden is going to great, i saw josh gabriel by himself at warehouse way back when, plays a mean set, wouldn't expect anything less from dave

too bad they broke up, would've loved to see both of them in the booth together (especially at tantra) like warehouse a while ago, or one on wednesday and one on thursday.

and speaking of the warehouse, sick, i'll only go there if i absolutely want to see the dj venue.
and
good luck getting on the dance floor for ferry.. especially at tantra :thumbsdow
Lol Jesus negativity bus flipped over in this thread!!!
Hahaha, yeah I don't really mind the crowdedness, makes me happy that people in North America actually like this kind of music more, maybe we'll get some ATB action or something here finally.

n1zm0
06-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Lol Jesus negativity bus flipped over in this thread!!!
Hahaha, yeah I don't really mind the crowdedness, makes me happy that people in North America actually like this kind of music more, maybe we'll get some ATB action or something here finally.

lol^ i feel i've been to these places enough for these kind of events to determine their characteristics and then critique them :D

ya it's ok to a certain point, i remember in the beginning, (03/04 i think) when Paul Oakenfold came to Tantra, fk there was enough space in there to park a car.

now, it's just that i can't stand the 18 y/o kid who just turned of legal age fken last week come to where i am, showing me how to 'dance', fyi kids.. jumping up and down with chicken wing arms-a-flapping is NOT dancing.. maybe in Africa or at a heavy metal/rock concert but not at those kind of events.

but

it's good that people in North America, especially Calgary enjoy this kind of music because it gives us the opportunity to see some of top dj's in the world right here in the city. so it's good especially for a city branded by others in Canada with the words COWBOY and REDNECK and we should continue on hopefully see some bigger events like Pete Tong at Flames Central. :thumbsup:

Wildcat
06-13-2008, 12:29 PM
^ya it seems to be in vogue for the young highschoolers to go to these things nowadays. its unfortunate

brown_guy
06-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat
^ya it seems to be in vogue for the young highschoolers to go to these things nowadays. its unfortunate

ha ha so true but what can you do:confused:

drtoohotty1
06-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Ukyo8
Above and Beyond at the Warehouse this friday, and Cosmic Gate the following friday.

My tickets say cosmic gate july 4th

Wildcat
06-16-2008, 10:53 AM
^it is july 4th.

above & beyond was a great show last weekend. :thumbsup:

anhsicun
06-16-2008, 09:12 PM
wat happen to all those big events that use to be held at max bell arena like canada's day and stuff i haven't seen events like that in awhile

stevieo
06-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by anhsicun
wat happen to all those big events that use to be held at max bell arena like canada's day and stuff i haven't seen events like that in awhile

damn thats so old school haha i used to go to those when I was in high school.

kinda miss it HAHA.

Ukyo8
06-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by drtoohotty1

My tickets say cosmic gate july 4th

Yep sorry my mistake

Wildcat
07-04-2008, 08:59 PM
First night of "10 Days of Ibiza" was a success, Markus Schulz was unreal. Looking forward to checking out Ferry on Sunday. Anyone else going?

DJ Lazy
07-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Shogged

edit: f psy trance saturdays kick ass though, but they only happen once a month.

FAWK!! How did I not know about this! :banghead: