PDA

View Full Version : Most reliable trucks - Uhaul, Budget, or Penske?

googe
06-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Opinions? Horror stories? Looking at a 14 - 16' truck for a long distance move. Don't want problems. :D

gram
06-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Uhauls are usually pretty shady...I wouldn't trust one. I have rented one 2 times and both times the truck has broken down on me. They give you a new truck but you have to unload and reload on the side of the road....go with the others even if they cost more:thumbsup:

Destinova403
06-05-2008, 02:33 PM
my buddy and i got a uhaul and it was fine for a quick move across town. it was pretty big so we were able to get it all in one trip. it didnt really seem shady to me and the truck was all working properly... but i have heard some bad stories about them in the past.

Weapon_R
06-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Uhaul has a really poor record for neglecting repairs, so I wouldn't trust them for a long move. I rented a Penske once and it was next to new and ran excellent. I wouldn't think twice about driving one to where you're going.

avishal26
06-05-2008, 02:35 PM
It would depend on how far you have to go. From here to Edmonton I think would not be a big deal at all even if you got a shady truck from U-Haul. Any further .. and I would worry about getting a reliable truck. National has trucks for rent as well.. don't know about reliability though.

Edit: Just reliazed your location is Seattle.. if you're moving from there to Calgary.. then I guess go with Penske.

Another option might be Ryder Trucks.. don't know if they're good or not though, you can go check them out I guess.

Crymson
06-05-2008, 02:37 PM
I've had Uhaul twice, both times i thought i was going to die.

When i moved to Calgary to S'toon, i used "The Driving Force" -- I got an AMAZING 16' deisel ford. Smooth ride, clean cab, no troubles.

I'd go with them again in a second.

The price "seemed" expensive, because they don't fuck around with lying about their rates like the other "big name" guys do.

I can't remember, but it was either 600 or 900, for 4 days, about 800k and 1 way destination charge. This was 3 years ago.

5hift
06-05-2008, 02:37 PM
I was in the same situation as you and went with National Truck rentals. Much better service, brand new trucks and they give you these trolly things to help with the heavy shit. If I remember correctly the pricing was on par with Uhaul as well.

googe
06-05-2008, 02:41 PM
It's actually Seattle to San Francisco. Ryder doesn't do one way rentals so I didn't consider them.

Price isn't really an issue, they're all within a few hundred of each other. I just have a tight schedule and don't want any problems.

Stealth22
06-05-2008, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't trust U-Haul for a trip to my neighbour's house!

I don't suppose you saw the stories W-FIVE did on them? :eek:

I haven't had experience renting a truck before, but my family has rented cars from Budget, National, and Discount. All three were very good for the 'car' side of things. All three of them offer trucks. You're going from Seattle to SF, so Discount won't be able to help you there :D

I'd go with National or Budget, even if they cost more. Both offer great service, so you're covered if anything goes wrong.

sxtasy
06-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Uhaul actually has a lot of new vehicles for long hauls. I rented one for Calgary -> Victoria. Was a brand new truck, no problems except for the gas guzzling V-10

benyl
06-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by googe
It's actually Seattle to San Francisco. Ryder doesn't do one way rentals so I didn't consider them.

Price isn't really an issue, they're all within a few hundred of each other. I just have a tight schedule and don't want any problems.

Wouldn't a moving company be more appropriate?

googe
06-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Wouldn't a moving company be more appropriate?

There's a few problems with that approach, I tried it. Mainly the fact that I have multiple stops, and they all take 10-13 days to actually deliver your stuff. So I said screw it, I'll do it myself.

QuasarCav
06-05-2008, 03:22 PM
We've used Penske and Driving Force.

I have found no issues with either of their trucks but U-haul is taking chances with your life.

kenny
06-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Guys a few houses down from me just took posession of their house and were moving in with a uhaul truck. Their truck wouldn't start after unloading the first load and they had to wait over an hour for someone to come out to take a look at it.

boxman
06-05-2008, 04:56 PM
I'll just add more fodder against U-Haul. Friend of mine was helping move from Seattle area to Phoenix. They had 2 trucks break down on them during the trip, requiring 2 unloads reloads. Stay the hell away from U-Haul. Their trucks are usually crap.