PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Positions

Ajay
06-05-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm thinking of moving from a sales position to a recruiting position. All my work experience has been in sales but oddly enough the criteria for this position doesn't necessarily require a human resource discipline.
Just wondering if anyone on here is a recruiter or knows of anyone that is. Curious to know how lucrative it may be or the pros and cons. This position isn't with a recruiting company. It's a position to be a recruiter internally recruiting for placements for the only the one company.

Super_Geo
06-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Depending on what you're selling you can make huge coin in sales... and if you're selling a shit product that has a low earning potential the skills are still transferable to a different sales gig.

Recruting though... so what, you're basically flipping through resumes and setting up interviews? Seems like it's a bad long term decision...

bituerbo
06-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Yeah meng, working for an outsourcer as a recruiter could be VERY lucritive - you make $$ for every hour they work? Sounds like a sweet gig.

Ajay
06-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Depending on what you're selling you can make huge coin in sales... and if you're selling a shit product that has a low earning potential the skills are still transferable to a different sales gig.

Recruting though... so what, you're basically flipping through resumes and setting up interviews? Seems like it's a bad long term decision...

I've been in sales for the last 7 years so I know what you mean about being able to make huge coin. Sales is all based on your performance for the most part and your pay cheque reflects your effort.

Recruiting isn't just flipping through resumes and setting up interviews. Being a recruiter you do the interview and place the person in what you think would be proper for both you and the company. I know of some head hunters who work for executive search companies that make close to $100K/yr being head hunters/recruiters.

Going to give it some thought. I just want to expand my skill set and really I don't see myself being a career sales person.

Ajay
06-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Yeah meng, working for an outsourcer as a recruiter could be VERY lucritive - you make $$ for every hour they work? Sounds like a sweet gig.

Should have quoted this in my original reply. Not sure if it would work that way. From what I understand at first it's a simple base wage (not that great but not that bad) and after that it becomes a base wage plus a bonus based on placements (i.e. if whoever you placed stays in that position for X amount of time).

Ajay
06-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Are their any recruiters on this forum that can give a little more insight?

Mikaldor
06-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Hey, I've been in the recuiting world on and off for the last 12 years. Both externally and internally, and there are significant differences to both sides of the world. Keep in mind that these are generalizations, and if you would like to talk more specifics, feel free to PM me.

What you are describing is an internal recruiter's role with a bit of an upside, based upon performance metrics. Your main role is to act as the company's agent to the workforce. Not a bad situation to get your feet wet into the recruiting world.

Pros - predicable base, some measure of job security, same client group.

Cons - limited upside potential comparatively, could be repeatitive, limited growth without a HR education.